Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v London Sunday 22nd July 2018

marklaspalmas

Nice and early this one. Our biggest match since we beat Bradford in July 2016 to secure a Qualifying 8s spot that year.

We know we will be without Matty Wildie (plus Ridyard, Holmes, Farrell and Ulugia). That leaves us with 18 of our own (including Thornton). I assume Hock will be available as any suspension will start the following week at Toronto.

No news on Lockwood, Brooks and Knowles who all missed Swinton. We could do with those three back.

Given that just two are hookers/half-backs (Thackers & Keal) we need some back up. Aaron Smith for starters, he's here a month.

As stated elsewhere we must win this. Fax losing too would guarantee Top4. Otherwise it could be down to points diff or we'd have to get something in Toronto too possibly.

Let's get the win and see where we are on Sunday evening.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Is Wildie definitely banned or is the hearing still to be held?

He's been issued with a 1-match penalty notice. In theory he could challenge it and have a hearing tomorrow night, but it's hard to see how he could contest a charge of foul and abusive language, it's not like you can call on video evidence for that.

It does raise again the question of on-field versus off-field punishments. He will have been banned on the basis of the ref's report, but if the offence was worthy of a Grade B sanction (a 1-match ban for Wildie on account of his lack of previous offences, but would have been a 2-match ban for someone with a recent  prior record), why did the ref not deem it worthy of a red card? The offence isn't bad enough to miss the rest of the match against Fax (which would have amounted to about 15 minutes), but is bad enough to miss 1 or 2 future games based entirely on the report by the same referee?

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He's been issued with a 1-match penalty notice. In theory he could challenge it and have a hearing tomorrow night, but it's hard to see how he could contest a charge of foul and abusive language, it's not like you can call on video evidence for that.

It does raise again the question of on-field versus off-field punishments. He will have been banned on the basis of the ref's report, but if the offence was worthy of a Grade B sanction (a 1-match ban for Wildie on account of his lack of previous offences, but would have been a 2-match ban for someone with a recent  prior record), why did the ref not deem it worthy of a red card? The offence isn't bad enough to miss the rest of the match against Fax (which would have amounted to about 15 minutes), but is bad enough to miss 1 or 2 future games based entirely on the report by the same referee?

It doesn't necessarily follow that the ref's report got him the ban - the incident will have been reviewed as he was sinbinned and his 'comments' may well have been picked up on one of the officials' mics.

I think there will be euphoria then Fax will drop a winning goal eight minutes into injury time at the Shay. Then Leigh will beat Swinton and Sheffield by eighty odd points. Then Toronto will annihilate us. Its in the Fev almanac. Seriously though we could beat ourselves up about what will happen and we have no control over matters. That came last week unfortunately. UTR What will be will be.☺

25 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:
29 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Can’t see us winning this one, given the missing players. Hope I’m wrong, but I think the top 4 dream will be over by Sunday evening. Fancy London to win by 10+ 

The opportunity was lost last week

I fear you are right. It wasn't just lost last week, but also thanks to this season's latest clusterf*ck-by-the-sea in the Bash. Had we won either of those two Fax games, or perhaps even the home game vs Toronto, as we could and should have done, we'd be sitting pretty by now.

Hate to say it but Fax deserve to make it into the four ahead of us, given the way they've played all season and found a way to roll us twice. Marshall consistently keeps them punching above their weight.

All that said, hope the lads can prove me wrong - certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Anyone fancy a game at scrum half on Sunday?

43 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Looks like Jordan Lilley has gone on loan to Bradford so I guess he’s not an option. To be honest I can’t see us winning another game before the 8s 

We won't be in the 8's if that's how you see it ?

The challenge on Sunday is to prove we're not just rugby league's equivalent of flat-track bullies. Was thinking about our results this season and this must be the first year in recent memory where we haven't slipped up against one of the teams from the lower reaches of the table - we've won every game against teams outside the top 6 and from memory we have never really looked like losing any of those games.

The problem is that having won 3 of our first 4 games against top 6 clubs, we have lost all 5 since, and it's those "4-pointers" that threaten to cost us.

In the light of this, you'd have to say London will be favourites on Sunday...they have drawn with Toulouse (in France) and beaten Halifax in recent weeks, which suggests they're simply in better form than us, and it's anyone's guess who will line up as Thackeray's partner at half back. Johnny D filled in for most of a game at London a couple of years ago (in a Cup game where London were very half hearted) and also played half back on a few occasions for Batley a few years ago so maybe he'll get the nod, but it will take a tremendous effort to get two points on Sunday in the circumstances.

3 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Looks like Jordan Lilley has gone on loan to Bradford so I guess he’s not an option. To be honest I can’t see us winning another game before the 8s 

So we've got dr with leeds, we need a half back and Lilley goes on loan to another club, Strange.

Lets just wait and see what happens on Sunday. Get behind the team in numbers as there will be  only a handful of Broncos, and cheer them on to victory.

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

So we've got dr with leeds, we need a half back and Lilley goes on loan to another club, Strange.

Perhaps they don't want us in the top 4 because if we are there is a strong possibility that we will be playing them as they are looking very likely to be in the bottom four of SL.

If Fev best London,they are 3 points behind us so are out .If Fax beat Toulouse it still favours us because that will mean after we lose to Toronto Leigh would have to run in possibly 15 Tries to remove us .Lets forget all this if me auntie is my uncle routine.We have to beat London that is it in a nutshell.To achieve this we will have to play out of our skin , London will have to be average and we will need a few lucky calls from the ref whilst ignoring to a certain degree our ill discipline.Simples.

Archived