Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v London Sunday 22nd July 2018

marklaspalmas

9 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Hock the obvious 1 for me, been ball handling forward all year, play as an extra forward and get him to 1st reciever when we want to ship it out, could name any extra forward at 6, but think we will see him doing the ball handling when needed.

yes he can ball handle, but can he play 80 minutes, can he take some of the weight off Thackeray in the kicking game, and most importantly can he effectively run plays at speed involving dummy runners etc to hold the defence in the middle and create space out wide? Davies or some combo of the two hookers still favourite for me.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Isn’t Hock too slow for the half backs?

Not really, hes got as good a hands as anyone in this league, hes not going to be a half who cuts defences to pieces with his pace, but he can take ball to line suck 3 defenders in and give thackray plenty of space to play in. Its a tactic powell as used with grant millington, when theyve been short on halfs, i remember haughey playing 7 for us and getting hat trick. Theres more than 1 way to play a game of rugby, a good coach will come up with a plan to get the best out of what he as available.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

yes he can ball handle, but can he play 80 minutes, can he take some of the weight off Thackeray in the kicking game, and most importantly can he effectively run plays at speed involving dummy runners etc to hold the defence in the middle and create space out wide? Davies or some combo of the two hookers still favourite for me.

Hes not going to do 80, but recon thats how we will hit them from the off and for a period in the 2nd half, we may see both hookers on at some point, but as ive said somewhere before, we need to be fresh in that area as london are very dangerous around the ruck.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As for kicking, weve seen keal kick from acting half before this season, so he will be the other option i recon.

If you don't have someone who can hold the defense in the middle before linking with his half back, you're pretty much zero threat to the opposition when you move the ball out wide. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think Carlile would be the logical choice and try and get by with Aaron Smith playing most or all of the game at 9, with Davies or Hardman the other alternatives (at 6). Either way, it's likely to be an even more stripped-down game plan than we've seen lately. Huge test for Duffy.

On the positive side, if we are left guessing who is going to play at half back, London will be in the same boat.

5 hours ago, eltel said:

So it is jack smith the ref for Sunday could have been much worse

ya think

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

I'll be rooting for you guys in this one and, just for once, for Toulouse at Halifax! I hope we aren't going to have to rely on Toronto to annihilate you and us stick about 70 on Sheffield again.

So, good luck against London!

How can Briscoe be quoted on the team sheet for sunday at lunchtime, and be in the Leeds team tonight. I think Leeds are taking the p--s

29 minutes ago, haskey said:

How can Briscoe be quoted on the team sheet for sunday at lunchtime, and be in the Leeds team tonight. I think Leeds are taking the p--s

Not sure how they're extracting the proverbial? He's a Leeds player, they have 1st call on his services and he was named in their squad a couple of days before being named in ours.

10 hours ago, jamescolin said:

It will; be very interesting to see the line up for the match. What would yours be?

Hardman Taulapapa Hardcastle Walton Robinson Davies Thackeray Wheeldon Carlile Cooper Walters Lockwood Hock. C.Smith A.Smith Moore Knowles

Hardman has to play full-back, at least in defence. One of their main plays is to put bombs up for their full-back to chase, and Ian is the best in the side under the high ball.

My side would be:- Hardman, Taulapapa, Hardcastle, Walton, Robinson, Thackeray, A.Smith/Carlile, Wheeldon, Carlile/A.Smith, Cooper, Davies, Walters, Hock...Subs:- Moore, C.Smith, Lockwood, Knowles.

Only other possible option would be to swap Walters and Lockwood around, especially if Locky is not 100% fit, in which case Brooks would come in on the bench.

A top quality pack, and the two D/R players should more than compensate for the loss of Briscoe now that Misi and Josh are both playing well. Main concern is the tactical kicking with no recognised back up for Thacks, but I believe Aaron Smith was an academy half-back so must have done it in the past?

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Hardman has to play full-back, at least in defence. One of their main plays is to put bombs up for their full-back to chase, and Ian is the best in the side under the high ball.

My side would be:- Hardman, Taulapapa, Hardcastle, Walton, Robinson, Thackeray, A.Smith/Carlile, Wheeldon, Carlile/A.Smith, Cooper, Davies, Walters, Hock...Subs:- Moore, C.Smith, Lockwood, Knowles.

Only other possible option would be to swap Walters and Lockwood around, especially if Locky is not 100% fit, in which case Brooks would come in on the bench.

A top quality pack, and the two D/R players should more than compensate for the loss of Briscoe now that Misi and Josh are both playing well. Main concern is the tactical kicking with no recognised back up for Thacks, but I believe Aaron Smith was an academy half-back so must have done it in the past?

Why do you assume Briscoe won't play Steve? The RFL rulebook is quite clear that it's perfectly permissible for a Dual Registered player to play in 2 games in the same fixture round and unless Leeds have actually vetoed him playing I can't see him being left out if he has come through unscathed from last night.

Of course it's far from an ideal situation, but if we can ask props to play twice in the space of 72 hours around Easter I don't see why a winger can't play twice in 48 hours.

My guess for what it's worth:
Hardman, Briscoe, Taulapapa, Walton, Robinson, Carlile, Thackeray, Wheeldon, A Smith, Cooper, Davies, Walters, Hock subs C Smith, Moore, Lockwood, Hardcastle

57 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Looks like davies at 6 looking at the way the lads have set up in the captains run I saw earlier

I'll be happy enough with that in the circumstances, far from ideal of course but he did at least fill this role for Batley in the past. If you check out the video below from 2:50 you can see that he is at least capable of playing the set-up role at half back and just manages to hold the middle defenders enough to help create the overlap that leads to the score. This was the Cup game where we hammered London, Davies took over from Thackeray after he went off injured in the early stages, mind you it was the Craven and Hardman show after this try.

Well Ladies and Gents the day of reckoning is upon us .Been very nervous all week due to the magnitude of this game and the other night I spoke to Spog in the Golden Ball who reckons we will win convincingly which has given me a bit of confidence even though I reckon it will be a tight affair with us just scraping it.Whats the confidence levels like with you lot out there ???

remember this lot are full time, so there should be no problems with their fitness levels. just hope we want it more than them

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Archived