Dewsbury v Batley part 3

Batley Bob

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

And don't forget the momentum rule!

And you'd be surprised what a full moon a week last Thursday can also impart on the trajectory!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

16 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

Which, of course, was invented by a Dewsbury lad.

Nope, it is in the laws of the game Bi11.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

And is all they can shout , forward , never seen a forward pass

Unfortunately neither did the officials.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Nope, it is in the laws of the game Bi11.

I was just being flippant BSJ; but you are right, of course, and the way that the law reads there seems to be nothing to stop a player throwing the ball forward as long as the recipient was behind the thrower  when the ball was thrown.  Imagine what an Alex Murphy or a Jonty Parkin would have done with such a law.  A neat throw over the opposition for a pacey colleague to collect perhaps instead of a chip.. 

6 hours ago, Bi11 said:

I was just being flippant BSJ; but you are right, of course, and the way that the law reads there seems to be nothing to stop a player throwing the ball forward as long as the recipient was behind the thrower  when the ball was thrown.  Imagine what an Alex Murphy or a Jonty Parkin would have done with such a law.  A neat throw over the opposition for a pacey colleague to collect perhaps instead of a chip.. 

It was in the laws of the game even then Bi11. The important feature is that the player making the pass has to be travelling at sufficient speed that his forward momentum is making the ball go forward, whilst acually passing backwards from the hands.

All highly technical and I shall still be shouting "forrard" with the rest. (Somtimes I instinctively want to shout "feeding" too, but manage to supress the temptation.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I didn't realise that the rule(momentum rule) went that far back BSJ.  Live and learn.  Thank's for the info. 

It is difficult to police, but having re read the law you clearly wouldn't get away with my suggestion of lobbing it forward instead of a chip.I won't blather on any more about it as I'm  wandering off thread somewhat (and digging my hole ever deeper).. 

As far as I understand 'forward'; if the original movement of the ball is at least straight, it doesn't matter where it is collected by a supporting player i.e a pass can loop forward with momentum if the original movement from the hand of the passer was legal.

Archived