North Wales Crusaders

Dave Naylor

The clubs have to do their bit but the RFL don't advertise or promote the game properly. If they did then surely it would be in a healthy position given the product on the pitch.  Just look at Union, a less entertaining sport (my opinion) but the RFU have sold it to the public as a 'must see' event and they get thousands going.

The Rupert Murdoch revolution has had a negative effect on the game and it needs sorting out. I would go back to a Winter league as Summer has too many distractions, holidays etc, I also think the FIFA World Cup has effected numbers this season. I would also break Sky’s monopoly and sell the Championship/League 1 TV rights to terrestrial or a free to air channel.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Whitworth Yed said:

The clubs have to do their bit but the RFL don't advertise or promote the game properly. If they did then surely it would be in a healthy position given the product on the pitch.  Just look at Union, a less entertaining sport (my opinion) but the RFU have sold it to the public as a 'must see' event and they get thousands going.

The Rupert Murdoch revolution has had a negative effect on the game and it needs sorting out. I would go back to a Winter league as Summer has too many distractions, holidays etc, I also think the FIFA World Cup has effected numbers this season. I would also break Sky’s monopoly and sell the Championship/League 1 TV rights to terrestrial or a free to air channel.

Their attendances at lower divisions is not much different to ours?  How much do the RFU do to promote those divisions?  They have sold the six nations etc very well, but apart from that they lose millions at every level.  They are propped up by the six nations and millionaires.  

How should the RFL promote the game?  Putting on big events (big bash?) or grand finals?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

A stable and clear pathway between divisions would help. Promotion and relegation of say two up two down to every division. Don't let clubs in SL hoodwink you by saying there is not the player pool. Just do it and the player pool will increase and the standards raise as clubs realise the gap between the leagues must be breached to eventually establish themselves at the higher level.

If you know what is happening and what the aim is from the beginning, then you will grow interest in the sport.

Roughyeds close to full strength for the final push

APART from Adam Neal and maybe Adam Jones, who has hurt his back at work, Oldham expect to be at full strength against North Wales Crusaders at the Vestacare Stadium on Sunday (3pm kick-off).

Read full article

Fans’ pics in Roughyed Review

NINE of the best 40 mobile-phone action shots from the Oldham v West Wales Raiders game, submitted by fans, are reproduced in our latest Roughyed Review which will be on sale at the Vestacare Stadium tomorrow (Sunday).

Read full article

Anne’s plea to media: Don’t ‘spike’ League 1 news

ANNE Kearns, our leader while Chris Hamilton is on sick leave, has urged local and national media outlets to give fans who watch rugby league's third tier --- Betfred League 1 --- the service they deserve.

Read full article

On 7/19/2018 at 2:59 PM, Dave Naylor said:

Any reason for the fancy dress?  :)

We do it on Simons (one of our fans) birthday every year. No idea why really!

1 hour ago, gogledd said:

42 booked on the Crusaders Supporters bus plus half a dozen cars. Should be 60 of us there I guess.

Nice one.  Looking forward to the game.  You'll like the new bar area at the ground and the general spruce up the place has had.

I'm up the scaffolding tower videoing the game.  Give me a wave :)

Looking forward to the game and pleased to see the conditions better for those on the pitch today. Not a barbecue day either, so one less excuse from the fans.

Come on Oldham - let's get back to winning ways. To Crusaders fans -  enjoy your afternoon, apart from the result, of course! 

14 hours ago, gogledd said:

42 booked on the Crusaders Supporters bus plus half a dozen cars. Should be 60 of us there I guess.

Bl00dy hell, we will be out numbered at this rate!!!!!

On 7/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, moorside roughyed said:

I suppose the question that does need asking is"has Oldham fallen out of love with rugby league?". It certainly feels like that sometimes.

Oldhamers haven't fallen out of love with Rugby League. Oldhamers have fallen out of love with ORLFC 1997.... they are two very different things.

I watch my local amateur side. I go to my nearest SL team and I go to England games. As well as watching SL and NRL on the telly.

I DO love rugby league.

I don't love ORLFC 1997.

Yes RL is in trouble everywhere, but that doesnt mean that Oldham don't have particular problems. They do have specific issues that keep people away. If you stick your head in the sand and ignore these particular issues and blame just the RFL, that will be a mistake. You can't begin to solve a problem until you acknowledge the problem exists.

2 hours ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

Oldhamers haven't fallen out of love with Rugby League. Oldhamers have fallen out of love with ORLFC 1997.... they are two very different things.

I watch my local amateur side. I go to my nearest SL team and I go to England games. As well as watching SL and NRL on the telly.

I DO love rugby league.

I don't love ORLFC 1997.

Yes RL is in trouble everywhere, but that doesnt mean that Oldham don't have particular problems. They do have specific issues that keep people away. If you stick your head in the sand and ignore these particular issues and blame just the RFL, that will be a mistake. You can't begin to solve a problem until you acknowledge the problem exists.

TBH I don't think it'll matter soon anyway mate because the way the attendances are going there might not be a club in any way shape or form. I'm of the opinion that the amateur game will be the only offering in Oldham. But then again the games knackered anyway,some superleague clubs are struggling attendance wise. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the sky deal is up for renewal. 

Good win today but against a very poor crusaders team. I think writing was on the wall when they dropped the ball first play of the game. Next week is the big game and how good is langtree we are so lucky to have him. I thought hewitt did alright today but crook was pretty poor I thought especially his kicking game. We kicked the ball to the corner once and we scored, we need to do this mor often especially Reid. Cunningham is a class player but I would rather have Wilkinson than Owen to be honest Owen plays about 20 minutes a game I know he’s the captain but I think Wilkinson brings more to the team 

Owen has got to play in the halves with Wilkinson and Cunningham at hooker. Much more creative which we are desperate for.

Langtree immense again. Cunningham was quality off the bench as was Nelmes who's having a great season.

Better signs today, very professional display but next week is huge for our season.

1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

Cunningham's acceleration and strength had Crusaders in panic stations every time he went for it.  

I don't know what more you can say about Langtree.  Such a good player and we are so fortunate to have him.  

Absolutely spot on,he put the fear of god into them.The longer we can keep hold of him the better.Langers was doing what Langer's does and long may he continue.

Archived