25k tickets sold for 2019 Perth SOO since sales opened on Monday

The New York article didn't really offer anything concrete, just said it's still being explored. To be honest, I think I'd rather they play it in Australia this year. Building on the Tonga hype could be a good way to get Aussies engaged in test footy again...but going to New York obviously has plenty of positives too, so I guess I just hope the game gets played somewhere!

...but on this note, I can't believe the NZ v Aus game hasn't been turned into a double header with Tonga v Fiji. They could fill Eden Park.

3 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

The New York article didn't really offer anything concrete, just said it's still being explored. To be honest, I think I'd rather they play it in Australia this year. Building on the Tonga hype could be a good way to get Aussies engaged in test footy again...but going to New York obviously has plenty of positives too, so I guess I just hope the game gets played somewhere!

...but on this note, I can't believe the NZ v Aus game hasn't been turned into a double header with Tonga v Fiji. They could fill Eden Park.

I’m interested in knowing if a possible NY game will be run by the NRL or has the Denver test flushed out another promoter?

5 hours ago, Copa said:

I’m interested in knowing if a possible NY game will be run by the NRL or has the Denver test flushed out another promoter?

Supposedly involving the “consortium” planning a 2020 NY team in the SL. I won’t hold my breath for that to come off.

As to filling Eden Park... I reckon Kiwis v Roos should come close to doing that on its own. Play Tonga v Fiji at Mt Smart. That will fill on its own as well.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Supposedly involving the “consortium” planning a 2020 NY team in the SL. I won’t hold my breath for that to come off.

As to filling Eden Park... I reckon Kiwis v Roos should come close to doing that on its own. Play Tonga v Fiji at Mt Smart. That will fill on its own as well.

The current Kiwi's side are not likely to come close to filling Eden Park. They lost to Fiji in the 2017 World Cup Quarter Final watched by 12,000 people (including myself). 20K to a home Test Match would be the best crowd Kiwi's would get until they rebuild and win back the public's support.

7 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

The current Kiwi's side are not likely to come close to filling Eden Park. They lost to Fiji in the 2017 World Cup Quarter Final watched by 12,000 people (including myself). 20K to a home Test Match would be the best crowd Kiwi's would get until they rebuild and win back the public's support.

A Warriors charge to the last 4 or even last 6 will do wonders for that. I reckon against Australia, they will get more than v Fiji or v Tonga. In saying that, I reckon NZ v Tonga could sell out Eden Park as well.

9 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Wish we could of heard this for the WC or a Roo's v Lions series

Me too, but, the public like what they like... or like what they are hyped to like.

It’s marketed as the biggest sports series in Australia year on year. It is the biggest sports series in Australia year on year. 

The WC final did a little to catch up, regular tough defeats will bring up the interest of the Kangaroos in Oz. Need the competition to continue catching up.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Sports Prophet said:

Me too, but, the public like what they like... or like what they are hyped to like.

Not saying that you were being to a great extent, but I get a bit frustrated when people are somewhat dismissive of SOO and constantly refer to it being hyped up, as if that's the reason why it's so popular. People, in the main, aren't idiots. They don't watch any old rubbish just because there's some slick promotion. You couldn't cobble together two pub teams and turn the occasion into an event as successful as Origin, no matter how much marketing and promotion you did. The reason why people love SOO is because it's some of the best RL players in the world, playing with real intensity, representing two rival states in Australia. Naturally, there's a snowball effect in the sense that when people watch and see what a great spectacle it is, it causes them to become interested too.

I'm English and I have no connection to either state or to Australia as a whole, but I finally got round to watching one of the games this year, and I'm now hooked. I'm going to do my best to follow it more closely next year. It's only three games so it's not as though I'm having to commit to an entire season, and it's a showpiece event. As a casual fan of RL - and as a fan of lots of sports, meaning I have to manage my time carefully in terms of what I watch and when - this is an event that is worth my time.

15 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Not saying that you were being to a great extent, but I get a bit frustrated when people are somewhat dismissive of SOO and constantly refer to it being hyped up, as if that's the reason why it's so popular. People, in the main, aren't idiots. They don't watch any old rubbish just because there's some slick promotion. You couldn't cobble together two pub teams and turn the occasion into an event as successful as Origin, no matter how much marketing and promotion you did. The reason why people love SOO is because it's some of the best RL players in the world, playing with real intensity, representing two rival states in Australia. Naturally, there's a snowball effect in the sense that when people watch and see what a great spectacle it is, it causes them to become interested too.

I'm English and I have no connection to either state or to Australia as a whole, but I finally got round to watching one of the games this year, and I'm now hooked. I'm going to do my best to follow it more closely next year. It's only three games so it's not as though I'm having to commit to an entire season, and it's a showpiece event. As a casual fan of RL - and as a fan of lots of sports, meaning I have to manage my time carefully in terms of what I watch and when - this is an event that is worth my time.

Watch the buildup and tell me it isn't overhyped! And it doesn't stop when the game kicks off. Every tackle is referred to as an "Origin tackle" and the plays are "special". Not to take anything away from SOO but it is definitely hyped to the max

43 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

You seem quite intelligent and literate so I suggest you support NSW. We welcome your type. You aren’t a match for QLD at all.

9 minutes ago, Copa said:

You seem quite intelligent and literate so I suggest you support NSW. We welcome your type. You aren’t a match for QLD at all.

Intelligent and literate... Certainly the first words that spring to mind when I think of the likes of NSW people like David Klemmer. Who could ever forget the sparkling wit on show in his quip to Corey Parker, "Get f***ed, you c***!"

13 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Intelligent and literate... Certainly the first words that spring to mind when I think of the likes of NSW people like David Klemmer. Who could ever forget the sparkling wit on show in his quip to Corey Parker, "Get f***ed, you c***!"

It’s great to know Klemmer can speak both English and Queensland.

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

People, in the main, aren't idiots. They don't watch any old rubbish just because there's some slick promotion.

I am pleased with your interest in SOO but as to the excerpt above... have you watched any of the ###### that passes as entertainment on tv these days.

If people don’t just watch any rubbish because of slick promotion, how can you explain the onslaught of TV shows like Big Brother Ninja Cook’s Got X Talent or how do you explain NFL for that matter?

26 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I am pleased with your interest in SOO but as to the excerpt above... have you watched any of the ###### that passes as entertainment on tv these days.

If people don’t just watch any rubbish because of slick promotion, how can you explain the onslaught of TV shows like Big Brother Ninja Cook’s Got X Talent or how do you explain NFL for that matter?

You forgot to add Rugby Union to that :)

Archived