Chinese investment in Salford?

It'd be great to see Rugby League finally get some Chinese money. They also seem to be individuals and not a faceless company. So it'd be great if they are lovers of the game.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Can only be local business. Think Salford currently are a far cry from attracting the likes of Huawei and other large business.

Unlikely to be linked, but seem to remember the government seeking Chinese investment in the Northern Powerhouse project a while back.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

51 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Yay!! Let's expand into China! Give them a franchise, we could even call them the 'Peking Ducks' to be in keeping with all the other stupid names that are around. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and go and lie down in a darkened room.

There is no mention of investing or expanding into China. The Chinese people are investing in Salford rl. Salford is in England. Make sure you close the door behind you in that darkened room.

1 minute ago, Jack Russell said:

There is no mention of investing or expanding into China. The Chinese people are investing in Salford rl. Salford is in England. Make sure you close the door behind you in that darkened room.

I know, but you can bet that would be the tangent someone would go off on! A market of billions etc..... 'bringing new ideas to the table' etc.................. 'adding to the brand' etc...................

I hear it's Frank Wong from  the chippie on Eccles New road? He could probably just about afford to buy the clubs' assets now. Seriously, I hope this all works out brilliantly for my long suffering Salford supporting mates but at 62 I have seen so many false dawns in my home City that I don't take much notice any more.

6 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Yay!! Let's expand into China! Give them a franchise, we could even call them the 'Peking Ducks' to be in keeping with all the other stupid names that are around. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and go and lie down in a darkened room.

Stop being stupid. The Ducks nickname has been set aside for the  Bombay franchise.

rldfsignature.jpg

57 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I hear it's Frank Wong from  the chippie on Eccles New road? He could probably just about afford to buy the clubs' assets now. Seriously, I hope this all works out brilliantly for my long suffering Salford supporting mates but at 62 I have seen so many false dawns in my home City that I don't take much notice any more.

I'm right with you on that, CR.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

All joking aside, I hope something decent comes of this for Salford.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

All joking aside, I hope something decent comes of this for Salford.

I hope so too

remember they got a blue chip sponsor Bon the front of their shirts so it could be anything 

Think its a bit rich taking the ###### before we even know who it is

what people dont realise is that a social media search is done by all potential sponsors and if all they can find that is relevant and up to date is this then we are truly stuffed

i do hope they are hooked by the sport and want to do great things with it and that the sport itself doesn’t scare them off its a lack of open mindedness and a great dose of negativity 

7 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Yay!! Let's expand into China!

Rugby union is already well advanced in expanding into China, with the support of the Chinese government.

Rugby league has no plans or resources to expand into China. It would not have much of a chance of doing so until it becomes a more recognisably international game. That means building the game and national team performance in France and north America. Nobody will support (i.e. finance) an attempt for rugby league to move into China while it is still a 3 nation game.

Having Toulouse and Toronto entering Super League very soon, followed by New York and other north American and French teams in the coming years, is the first step in building rugby league as an international game. Until they see serious nations such as France and Canada or USA as competitive rugby league nations, neither Chinese businessmen nor the Chinese government will have any interest in facilitating the entry of rugby league into China.

17 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Rugby union is already well advanced in expanding into China, with the support of the Chinese government.

Rugby league has no plans or resources to expand into China. It would not have much of a chance of doing so until it becomes a more recognisably international game. That means building the game and national team performance in France and north America. Nobody will support (i.e. finance) an attempt for rugby league to move into China while it is still a 3 nation game.

Having Toulouse and Toronto entering Super League very soon, followed by New York and other north American and French teams in the coming years, is the first step in building rugby league as an international game. Until they see serious nations such as France and Canada or USA as competitive rugby league nations, neither Chinese businessmen nor the Chinese government will have any interest in facilitating the entry of rugby league into China.

Right now, the main international growth areas seem to be Central/South America and South-Eastern Europe. They don't have much in the way of resources, but should be encouraged as much as possible.

Yes, if the Chinese did get involved, they'd be deadly serious about doing it well, because they value prestige and success a lot. How that attitude would bump heads with RL's traditionalists would be interesting.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

I know, but you can bet that would be the tangent someone would go off on! A market of billions etc..... 'bringing new ideas to the table' etc.................. 'adding to the brand' etc...................

Somebody did go off on a tangent... I wonder who that was...?! 

38 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

I am just waiting for it to turn into another 'let's have a dig at Bradford' thread and my work will be done!! 

Bradford, phah!!! why can't they pull in international major sponsors from places like China, pathetic.

Glad to oblige. ?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just as an aside, RL had a great opportunity of getting into the Chinese sports market a few years back when Paul Boughton was working over there in the education system, and seemed to have a number of Universities ready to start up a league, but no one would stump up any cash to support his efforts. A quick google search should reveal some articles in the subject.

anyway.. back to Salford.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived