Aus v Tonga in NYC later this year.

TRL report on this statement issued on the NRL website.  Comments that they are talking to a number of promoters including Moore.

Already pencilling it in for Oct 20th, still critical of the Denver game, mentioning the importance of Players having a ‘mandatory’ 6 week break  as well as considerations for broadcasting and Australian viewers.  Plus, a suggested NRL First Round played between SSydney & Storm.  All part of their ‘multi year plan’.

No problem with the game, good to see, but where are the RLIF in this?  Are we seeing the start of a needless fight now, between the SL and NRL to break more ground in the USA?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/18/nrl-considers-new-york-option-for-kangaroos-test-against-tonga/

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

TRL report on this statement issued on the NRL website.  Comments that they are talking to a number of promoters including Moore.

Already pencilling it in for Oct 20th, still critical of the Denver game, mentioning the importance of Players having a ‘mandatory’ 6 week break  as well as considerations for broadcasting and Australian viewers.  Plus, a suggested NRL First Round played between SSydney & Storm.  All part of their ‘multi year plan’.

No problem with the game, good to see, but where are the RLIF in this?  Are we seeing the start of a needless fight now, between the SL and NRL to break more ground in the USA?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/18/nrl-considers-new-york-option-for-kangaroos-test-against-tonga/

What do you want the RLIF's involvement to be here?

In football couldn't England and Brazil stage a game wherever they want out of season?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What do you want the RLIF's involvement to be here?

In football couldn't England and Brazil stage a game wherever they want out of season?

I see their role as development, and that includes USA.  There is an opportunity to engage with a wide range of nationalities in the USA, some of which, South America for instance, already have green shoots growing.  A collective approach to that alone would benefit them and the game holistically.  The RLIF should be involved for that reason alone.

17 minutes ago, Copa said:

I wonder if the Denver test dragged out these new promoters?

some more information here: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/first-denver-now-new-york-gearing-up-for-rugby-league-20180718-p4zs9i.html

Maybe they saw what was done v could be done?  Realistically, I would have thought that expressions of interest would have been sought by the NRL.

Despite recent comments regarding the Denver ‘loss’ doesn’t seem promoters are put off, although they are suggesting a smaller stadium.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

They can, but clubs are not obliged to release players for fixtures that do not take place on FIFA designated international dates, of which there are plenty. I wish we had more such dates in RL

1 minute ago, Yakkers said:

They can, but clubs are not obliged to release players for fixtures that do not take place on FIFA designated international dates, of which there are plenty. I wish we had more such dates in RL

Maybe I wasn’t clear, but that missed the point.  I have no issue with the games, when it is or isn’t or who/how arranges them.

We have to look at this approach to the RLWC, holistically.  From stimulating interest before the event, right through to the legacy.  My issue is that collectively, between RFL, NRL and RLIF, they have a great opportunity to implement an agreed strategy, which benefits everyone.  I believe, this lead up and the WC itself, presents the best opportunity we’ve had, in my memory.

From what I’ve seen, the NRL are going their way, RFL going theirs and the RFIL aren’t doing much at all.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I see their role as development, and that includes USA.  There is an opportunity to engage with a wide range of nationalities in the USA, some of which, South America for instance, already have green shoots growing.  A collective approach to that alone would benefit them and the game holistically.  The RLIF should be involved for that reason alone.

yep that's a fair call. As the RLIF have provisionally awarded its biggest property to the Americans for 2025, I would expect them to have some form of involvement on the road to that tournament and the development required.

Even if it is literally just encouraging the governing bodies and promoters to stage these things as proof of concept.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

yep that's a fair call. As the RLIF have provisionally awarded its biggest property to the Americans for 2025, I would expect them to have some form of involvement on the road to that tournament and the development required.

Even if it is literally just encouraging the governing bodies and promoters to stage these things as proof of concept.

While the RFL & NRL are focussing on the game and what they can get out of it, the RLIF has to be a big part to look at potential heartlands and opportunities within the diversity.  

If the RLIF can’t add value to the biggest tournament we have, imo their surplus to requirements.

Moore will get this too well placed in the market now not to.  The NRL would be showing. A lack of ambition by ignoring him - spiteful 

oh! Wait.....

Sorry had to remember the RLIF would have to sanction a test not the NRL - so hopefully sanity will prevail, Moore will step up and cover the costs much like he underwrote Denver and we can all pull towards a successful 2025 RLWC 

And then i recall the NRL are the instigators and i heave a sigh of despondency yet again - of course they will want the USA to know its the premier rl comp, the USA should be dealing solely with them, they own all the players on show etc etc etc

rlif needs to step up and show some marbles and soon me thinks - and by the way i am very worried that the players going to nyc will have too far to travel, have not enough time to acclimatise, get injured through tiredness because of the long season and terribly long haul flight, and then have to fly back in a state of distress.

mothercare have comforters available at a knock down price i believe - if its played tonga will win and the sulking in Sydney will refloat mothercare over night - time to buy some shares 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Has anyone thought of doing a double header, to give the interested fans their own team to support? For example, this is Australia v Tonga, why not get USA v Canada on before/after the Australia game to show the Americans that there is an American side out there. 

Having the two strongest American countries playing an undercard wouldn't send a good message about RL here in America.

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why wouldn’t it?

At least 2 reasons:
1. Undercard matches are like warmup acts at concerts, no one really cares about them.
2. It would highlight the gulf in calibre between the US and Canada and the top level of the game which couldn't possibly be of any benefit to RL over here.

42 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Having the two strongest American countries playing an undercard wouldn't send a good message about RL here in America.

Really not sure.  I doubt either country would expect to meet the level of many others, but it could create a rivalry all in itself.  

We also have to think of opportunities to include South American countries.  A ‘undercard’, if you like and take the impetus out of that other quango who started to set their own tournament up, involving Ikram Butt.  

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Really not sure.  I doubt either country would expect to meet the level of many others, but it could create a rivalry all in itself.  

We also have to think of opportunities to include South American countries.  A ‘undercard’, if you like and take the impetus out of that other quango who started to set their own tournament up, involving Ikram Butt.  

If two countries from the Latin part of America played an undercard instead, that might give organizers something to promote to the Latino population in New York, though the undercard aspect might diminish its appeal to them.

Just now, Big Picture said:

If two countries from the Latin part of America played an undercard instead, that might give organizers something to promote to the Latino population in New York, though the undercard aspect might diminish its appeal to them.

I think if you picked the right stadium, compact, the atmosphere could be good.  Remember, this isn’t about winning the trophy, this is about celebrating the game and generating interest.  

Canada v USA could be an ideal opportunity to involve players, solely from both countries.  I think we have to be careful making judgements on how others may feel, without gauging that interest 1st hand.  The RLIF should be doing that.

41 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think if you picked the right stadium, compact, the atmosphere could be good.  Remember, this isn’t about winning the trophy, this is about celebrating the game and generating interest.  

Canada v USA could be an ideal opportunity to involve players, solely from both countries.  I think we have to be careful making judgements on how others may feel, without gauging that interest 1st hand.  The RLIF should be doing that.

As a Canadian I can give you some input about it.  Having a Canada vs. the US as an undercard is likely to turn more of us off than onto RL and that's even more true of our southern neighbours.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

So in the 2025 WC I don't expect to see Canada or the US in there because people may realise they aren't as good as the Aussies.

Makes sense I suppose.

Suppose that (for example) the GB handball team played Ireland (neither of which got out of the group stage at the 2017 IHF Emerging Nations Championship) in an undercard match followed by France vs. Croatia (first and fourth at the 2017 World Championship contested by 24 countries) at Wembley Arena?  How precisely would that undercard match get more Brits interested in handball than it turned off?

As much as I would like this to happen I can't help but think that playing this in Australia would be a better option. Played at the SFS it could be a surprisingly pro Tonga crowd making it feel like an away game for the Kangaroos. I'd hope the view of a sea of red at a supposedly "home game" for Australia would kickstart some more Ozzies turning up to watch next time.

11 hours ago, Big Picture said:

As a Canadian I can give you some input about it.  Having a Canada vs. the US as an undercard is likely to turn more of us off than onto RL and that's even more true of our southern neighbours.

Does it really matter what nationality you are?  WC games between Tonga, Samoa, Fiji have always been well attended by their own supporters.  Only recently, Samoa have stepped up a level and Tonga a few levels.  Before this, neither had a hope of winning the Comp.

Both Canada & USA have to accept they won’t win anything for a long time, so any kind of international competition, especially between those on their own continent, is essential.  

Archived