Aus v Tonga in NYC later this year.

7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Does it really matter what nationality you are?  WC games between Tonga, Samoa, Fiji have always been well attended by their own supporters.  Only recently, Samoa have stepped up a level and Tonga a few levels.  Before this, neither had a hope of winning the Comp.

Both Canada & USA have to accept they won’t win anything for a long time, so any kind of international competition, especially between those on their own continent, is essential.

Those WC games between Tonga, Samoa, Fiji weren't undercards, were they?  And they weren't player in new territory for the game, were they?  You need to understand that over here we wouldn't be impressed by a team representing our country playing in an undercard, no more impressed than Brits would be seeing your team paying in an undercard in a sport not well known in Britain.  And that's even more true of our southern neighbours who think that their country is exceptional and an example to everyone else.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Those WC games between Tonga, Samoa, Fiji weren't undercards, were they?  And they weren't player in new territory for the game, were they?  You need to understand that over here we wouldn't be impressed by a team representing our country playing in an undercard, no more impressed than Brits would be seeing your team paying in an undercard in a sport not well known in Britain.  And that's even more true of our southern neighbours who think that their country is exceptional and an example to everyone else.

i think people get it. If there was an NBA game staged here and they put a GB team as the opener of a double header people would get it and I'm sure many would enjoy watching it.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

i think people get it. If there was an NBA game staged here and they put a GB team as the opener of a double header people would get it and I'm sure many would enjoy watching it.

An international as an undercard to the NBA would be accepted would it?  So much for internationals being the pinnacle of sport then.

37 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

An international as an undercard to the NBA would be accepted would it?  So much for internationals being the pinnacle of sport then.

People are not stupid. Why pretend they are? They know what the standard is.

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I don’t need to understand anything.  International teams in North America are many years away from being able to compete and anyone watching or supporting would know that.  That wouldn’t detract from enjoying the spectacle and those games, if played regularly, are exactly what they do want.

Would you be happy if we called  USA v Canada, the World Series?

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...a-new-york-state-of-mind-20180719-p4zsi6.html
~~~~~~~~~
Clubs are furious they haven’t been consulted about a potential Australia-Tonga Test in New York, putting them on another collision course with the NRL.

The governing body is investigating the feasibility of staging the international at the 25,000-seat capacity Red Bull Arena on October 20. It’s understood the promoter is Ricky Wilby, the man attempting to establish a New York franchise to compete in the Super League competition.

The NRL is also seeking to take an opening round competition game to the United States next season, with Melbourne and South Sydney the likely participants if the concept goes ahead.

Rugby League Central was highly critical of the Denver Test between England and New Zealand last month, citing a lack of consultation between the stakeholders. The clubs, concerned about the toll the game and the travel would take on its stars, sided with head office. However, they are again at loggerheads after only learning about another potential American sojourn in the press.

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill, a champion of the international game who ran the successful 2017 Rugby League World Cup, was blindsided by the latest American proposal.

“As a club CEO, I know nothing about any proposed Australia-Tonga game,” Hill said.

“Having a strong background in international footy, I understand the amount of work that goes into a one-off Test match in America and we’re nearly in August, with six weeks of a season to go, and I still have no idea if the proposed game is an opportunity for us to broker.”

Penrith counterpart Brian Fletcher added: “We don’t get the privilege of getting involved in discussions.

“They just make decisions and don’t check with the heartland. Us at club level, we don’t get consulted on what’s going on.”

The Denver Test was a strong advertisement for the game, but a lack of cooperation from the clubs and the NRL was a contributing factor to the promoter posting a loss. While the latest US expedition is in the off-season it comes at a time when most players are enjoying their mandated time off.

“It’s the first I’ve heard of it,” said Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley.

“If it’s factual, it would obviously be in the players’ normal annual leave period, which has implications for training and the resumption of training in the collective bargaining agreement.

“We would want to know a lot more detail before we formed an opinion one way or the other.”

The NRL is finishing up a feasibility study on the project, but it’s understood that the match is a strong possibility of going ahead. If not, New Zealand is seen as an alternate destination for the Test.

Warriors CEO Cameron George said the timing of the New York game suits the clubs better than the mid-season Denver Test, but his preference is to stage the match in New Zealand rather than New York.

“I haven’t heard about it until today when I read about it,” George said.

“I have a personal view that we should first get things right in our own backyard.

“The NZRL chose to go to the States to play footy in order to grow the game, but we’ve got a lot of work to do in our own backyard to get it humming up against rugby union, we want to become the number one sport here.

“Playing Test matches here will certainly enhance the growth and participation of rugby league.

“I have that view because I’m at the coalface of it.”

Tonga’s World Cup victory over New Zealand captivated both nations and attracted a sellout crowd in Hamilton. George believes an Australia-Tonga match in the region would be a box-office hit.

“It would be absolutely outstanding to have it in New Zealand,” he said.

“The benefits of having that in the backyard of rugby league would do everything to grow the sport’s participation and awareness and aspiration of playing for country.

“If you rewind two years ago, that Test match wouldn’t have had much interest. But now, why wouldn’t you export it where you could sell it out, put on a fantastic event and grow awareness of the sport?

“Taking it over there, I understand the big market the States offer. But we need to get our market humming first. That would only add long-term benefits.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

L-O-L - How good is Andrew Hill, CEO of the 'successful' RLWC 2017 complaining they have been blindsided. Penrith having their typical whinge on the heartlands. At least the Warriors seem somewhat supportive, understandably from a NZ perspective. 

But the general vibe is all not surprising. This is a Test happening AFTER the NRL season, and there is STILL concerns on player welfare and their training schedule for next season. Some of the NRL clubs should just come out and say they don't want international RL played at all, ever.

14 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...a-new-york-state-of-mind-20180719-p4zsi6.html
~~~~~~~~~
Clubs are furious they haven’t been consulted about a potential Australia-Tonga Test in New York, putting them on another collision course with the NRL.

The governing body is investigating the feasibility of staging the international at the 25,000-seat capacity Red Bull Arena on October 20. It’s understood the promoter is Ricky Wilby, the man attempting to establish a New York franchise to compete in the Super League competition.

The NRL is also seeking to take an opening round competition game to the United States next season, with Melbourne and South Sydney the likely participants if the concept goes ahead.

Rugby League Central was highly critical of the Denver Test between England and New Zealand last month, citing a lack of consultation between the stakeholders. The clubs, concerned about the toll the game and the travel would take on its stars, sided with head office. However, they are again at loggerheads after only learning about another potential American sojourn in the press.

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill, a champion of the international game who ran the successful 2017 Rugby League World Cup, was blindsided by the latest American proposal.

“As a club CEO, I know nothing about any proposed Australia-Tonga game,” Hill said.

“Having a strong background in international footy, I understand the amount of work that goes into a one-off Test match in America and we’re nearly in August, with six weeks of a season to go, and I still have no idea if the proposed game is an opportunity for us to broker.”

Penrith counterpart Brian Fletcher added: “We don’t get the privilege of getting involved in discussions.

“They just make decisions and don’t check with the heartland. Us at club level, we don’t get consulted on what’s going on.”

The Denver Test was a strong advertisement for the game, but a lack of cooperation from the clubs and the NRL was a contributing factor to the promoter posting a loss. While the latest US expedition is in the off-season it comes at a time when most players are enjoying their mandated time off.

“If it’s factual, it would obviously be in the players’ normal annual leave period, which has implications for training and the resumption of training in the collective bargaining agreement.

“We would want to know a lot more detail before we formed an opinion one way or the other.”

The NRL is finishing up a feasibility study on the project, but it’s understood that the match is a strong possibility of going ahead. If not, New Zealand is seen as an alternate destination for the Test.

Warriors CEO Cameron George said the timing of the New York game suits the clubs better than the mid-season Denver Test, but his preference is to stage the match in New Zealand rather than New York.

“I have a personal view that we should first get things right in our own backyard.

“The NZRL chose to go to the States to play footy in order to grow the game, but we’ve got a lot of work to do in our own backyard to get it humming up against rugby union, we want to become the number one sport here.

“Playing Test matches here will certainly enhance the growth and participation of rugby league.

Tonga’s World Cup victory over New Zealand captivated both nations and attracted a sellout crowd in Hamilton. George believes an Australia-Tonga match in the region would be a box-office hit.

“The benefits of having that in the backyard of rugby league would do everything to grow the sport’s participation and awareness and aspiration of playing for country.

“If you rewind two years ago, that Test match wouldn’t have had much interest. But now, why wouldn’t you export it where you could sell it out, put on a fantastic event and grow awareness of the sport?

“Taking it over there, I understand the big market the States offer. But we need to get our market humming first. That would only add long-term benefits.”

L-O-L - How good is Andrew Hill, CEO of the 'successful' RLWC 2017 complaining they have been blindsided. Penrith having their typical whinge on the heartlands. At least the Warriors seem somewhat supportive, understandably from a NZ perspective. 

But the general vibe is all not surprising. This is a Test happening AFTER the NRL season, and there is STILL concerns on player welfare and their training schedule for next season. Some of the NRL clubs should just come out and say they don't want international RL played at all, ever.

Mr Wilby eh?

I hope they do a great job with their due diligence.

13 hours ago, Abicus said:

~~~~~~~~~

Now this is all starting to make sense. What does a bloke from Huddersfield know about the American sporting landscape? Not much it seems, wanting to stage a game in October in New York of all places. Shows how out of his depth he really is  

13 hours ago, Abicus said:

~~~~~~~~~

NY wouldn't be my choice, especially at that time of the year, but I wish these clubs would stop whining. Why would there be welfare issues if it's the off season? Ffs. 

Sorry are the talking about October 20th this year?  As in 3 months time?  At feasibility stage?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 7/19/2018 at 9:25 PM, Abicus said:

~~~~~~~~~

Just love the comment about Andrew Hill being the man who ran the “successful” 2017 World Cup. Whinge, whinge, whinge.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 7/19/2018 at 5:36 PM, Big Picture said:

I don't believe too many people, outside of this forum, really cares about this pinnacle mantra.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

28 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If the game really wanted to "break" America we shouldnt be sending a game here and there, we should be going big whole round of NRL on the pacific coast and a whole round of SL on the east coast. 5 or 6 internationals.

If the Denver test is such a big effort to fit in because of travel, have a Warriors NRL game in California the week after and schedule the two sides bye week the week after.

If Australia dont want the lions to tour Australasia why not tour America? A lions tour that sees them playing Tonga in LA, Fiji in San Diego, Samoa in Utah, the USA in Florida and a three test series against a Pacifika side. Maybe even sneak a game against Jamaica in on the way back.

I really think a series of Magic Weekends could be great expansion tools. 

Let's all play in Newcastle.

If we are targeting Oz for SL growth, let's all go.

Let's all play in the US.

Plus internationals on top.

We have more than enough games and flexibility to be able to do this.

If we genuinely want to target media and sponsors around the world, show them up close what we have.

• 2 weeks later...

They all say they've heard nothing?!.. it's been in the press for months. They're either stupid are lieing.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived