Danny Bridge - disciplinary

Gisburn

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some years ago I was assaulted by a player during an amateur game.The player has never played again as he was given a twenty year ban. To me it matters not be it Super league or amateur no player shouild be allowed to get away with an assault. He got what he deserved there is no space in the game for players like Bridge. I think he has got away lightly for what I have seen of the clip.

I may add that I took the player to court and won.

I have watched the footage several times and still can’t make out for sure what he’s done. I don’t think he would be stupid enough to take out a referee deliberately! Did he think he was a player (obviously this doesn’t excuse him!) whatever happened the lad deserves a second chance. From what I know and I stand to be corrected, I don’t think he has a bad disciplinary history and to take away his rugby career for one mistake is extremely harsh. If anything happened like this again he clearly doesn’t have the right temperament to play the game but my view is sign him up for next season. It would be interesting to know the refs view on the situation. Thankfully as far as I know he wasn’t injured. Give him a chance. Professional players who have recieved criminal convictions during their career have been given that second chance 

35 minutes ago, Oldham Forever said:

I have watched the footage several times and still can’t make out for sure what he’s done. I don’t think he would be stupid enough to take out a referee deliberately! Did he think he was a player (obviously this doesn’t excuse him!) whatever happened the lad deserves a second chance. From what I know and I stand to be corrected, I don’t think he has a bad disciplinary history and to take away his rugby career for one mistake is extremely harsh. If anything happened like this again he clearly doesn’t have the right temperament to play the game but my view is sign him up for next season. It would be interesting to know the refs view on the situation. Thankfully as far as I know he wasn’t injured. Give him a chance. Professional players who have recieved criminal convictions during their career have been given that second chance 

Me neither, lots of people bashing the situation but its very difficult to see what happened from the footage. We were on the attack, lost the ball he turns to defend does he then crash into the ref?

I'm not sure, I couldn't make this game.

21 minutes ago, herbie said:

If the referee thought hed been assaulted at the time why wasnt Danny sent off?

I wondered that too. 

I can only assume that refs describe any contact with a player in their match report.  During the Keighley game, the ref may have been unaware of how the contact happened.  So he reports it, the video is reviewed and the incident is deemed worthy of a formal charge.

It looks like he kicks the ref from behind when running back.  God knows why.  I guess the ref didn't send him off because he didn't see it and thought it might have been accidental. 

Agree with others that despite this stupid act we should look to sign him next season, been fantastic with langers in 2nd row.

17 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

I know. 

Chewy's ten tries this year have been most welcome.  Against North Wales the half-backs provided five try assists. 

Nice.

Bloody hell Dave I’m turning 28 and I haven’t done any exercise for over 12 year I think I could of done a job at half back against north wales. They didn’t do anything fancy all what crook did was pass to langers and he just barged over. It’s okay doing it against teams like west wales and north wales but do they do it in the big games Dave? I don’t think so everyone on this forum knows that too.

Hi RL does what Sky says, yes it was indeed the match you refer too.As you say that was a del;iberate attack and he got what he deserved.

As for Bridge, he has pleaded guilty to the offence so does that mean he should be band for years? I have seen the footage and it does look bad, the referee would not have seen it coming but the touch judge was in a very good position to see the whole thing. What did he report? Unless we have information to the hearing we are all in the dark. Should he be given another chance? Personally I don't think so, he has admitted a deliberate offence of an attack on a match official and should have been out of the game. We are struggling for officials , so what happens next time he plays with perhaps a ref who is up and coming. Does he take advantage of that or will he have learnt his lesson?

Time will tell.

People wonder why Oldham attendances are down...with the support expressed in this thread for a guy who admits to assaulting a referee,well if thats how Oldham fans think and act then no wonder people stay away. Idiotic to do it and just as idiotic to defend the guy who did it. Maybe some of you are so wrapped up in your fanaticism for the club you can't see what an atrocity this really is. The guy pleaded guilty,so no need to speculate if it actually happened.

No place for it on the field of play and anyone supporting violence against referees needs their head examined. Doesn't matter how good a player he was,he's done damage to the club and the game and should be cut loose without a second thought.

You gotta have standards of behaviour. This is rugby league,not a bare knuckle fight on the cobbles.

Video footage not clear. But as I saw it after the kick the Keighley player ran across field and the ref ran back in to the Oldham line, Bridge turned to his left and found the referee in his path as he attempted to cover the ground in pursuit of the Keighley player. It looks like he then grabbed the ref to move him out of the way, with the momentum the ref went straight over on to his back. Assault can be deemed as any form of contact, so this maybe why he submitted a guilty plea. I would have thought a 8 match ban would have been a fairer outcome. However better quality video could make me think differently.

4 hours ago, YoungYed said:

Bloody hell Dave I’m turning 28 and I haven’t done any exercise for over 12 year I think I could of done a job at half back against north wales. 

I read Reddit too much.  If you leave the door open for a misinterpretation, I'm going to go for it.  

I've also had two bottles of cider this evening and managed to spell misinterpretation correctly, twice, without spellcheck. 

2 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

People wonder why Oldham attendances are down...with the support expressed in this thread for a guy who admits to assaulting a referee,well if thats how Oldham fans think and act then no wonder people stay away. Idiotic to do it and just as idiotic to defend the guy who did it. Maybe some of you are so wrapped up in your fanaticism for the club you can't see what an atrocity this really is. The guy pleaded guilty,so no need to speculate if it actually happened.

Not seen anybody say it shouldn't of been a ban?  Most posts are questioning what got into him.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Going off the grainy video...it appears to me that he thought the ref was a keighley player trying to support the keighley player who broke away..and he took him out....that kinda thing happening in most games..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I have now read the report from the RL Disciplinary hearing which is available for all to see on the RFL site. I must say it does not paint a good picture  for Bridge. Suggest that people read it, it does put full blame on Bridge and also how the referee now feels. I know where he is coming from it is not a pleasant feeling and takes a long time to get over.

However ,having read and thought about the whole thing it is now up to Oldham and Mr Hamilton to decide Bridge's future. If his contract is up it should not be renewed and should be shown the door from Oldham. Does the club want to hold on to a player who deliberately assaults a referee and thus causes the club to have a bad name?

Remember no man is bigger than the club, rugby is a game that needs controlled aggresion ,it doesn't seem to have got through to Bridge. Has he thought what younger players think of someone like himself and is that the image he wants for himself?

If there was an intention to attack the referee then he deserves everything he gets, even if he never plays again.

However, over the many years I have seen referees getting in the way of play and bundled over, or the ball hitting the referee and I have also seen a referee (Massey) pushing players and the game just carried on. These things happen. I stress I am not condoning the incident if there was intention - I don't believe there was.

Archived