Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gisburn

Danny Bridge - disciplinary

roughyedspud ... I cannot agree with your view of the incident, especially as the ref's shirt was a completely different colour to the Keighley ones.  Yet even if your view is correct and Bridge thought the ref was a Keighley player supporting his colleague with the ball, Bridge still deserves severe punishment for doing that to an opponent, especially one who was not in possession. Furthermore, when you say "that kinda thing happening in MOST games", I can honestly say that in MOST games I have watched I have hardly ever seen a referee being even tackled in a proper manner by a player never mind being "taken out".

I have now read the report from the RL Disciplinary hearing which is available for all to see on the RFL site. I must say it does not paint a good picture  for Bridge. Suggest that people read it, it does put full blame on Bridge and also how the referee now feels. I know where he is coming from it is not a pleasant feeling and takes a long time to get over.

However ,having read and thought about the whole thing it is now up to Oldham and Mr Hamilton to decide Bridge's future. If his contract is up it should not be renewed and should be shown the door from Oldham. Does the club want to hold on to a player who deliberately assaults a referee and thus causes the club to have a bad name?

Remember no man is bigger than the club, rugby is a game that needs controlled aggresion ,it doesn't seem to have got through to Bridge. Has he thought what younger players think of someone like himself and is that the image he wants for himself?

• Like 2

If there was an intention to attack the referee then he deserves everything he gets, even if he never plays again.

However, over the many years I have seen referees getting in the way of play and bundled over, or the ball hitting the referee and I have also seen a referee (Massey) pushing players and the game just carried on. These things happen. I stress I am not condoning the incident if there was intention - I don't believe there was.

Now as I have previously said you can't defend the incident at all and a ban was inevitable.

On the referees side he has made a right meal of it all in his submission to the RFL,it shouldn't have happened but he is definitely dining out on it.

Referees are God on the pitch and therefore untouchable and quite rightly so but the RFL insist refs do no wrong,their performances are not even reviewed. If players are getting so frustrated with officials maybe it is only fair if refs are assessed after every game in any other walk of life you would be sacked/suspended for poor performance but in RL it seems like refs can do what they like with no comeback. 

So all in all, it's a sad time for Bridgey and the club. It's happened. No point crying over spilt milk, I'm sure the club will deal with it as they see fit. People saying he should be banned for life perhaps have a point but the disciplinary committee handed down the sentence they deemed appropriate. It's not for us to judge what happens next. Done the crime he will now do the time. 

If Bridgey stays with us or moves on after his punishment, I still wish him well.

Edited by roughyed34
  • Like 1

jroyales ... Yes, obviously a vast difference between getting in the way of play and an intention to attack. Again it's all down to a matter of interpretation.

As I said in an earlier post, one person, ie you on this occasion, believe it was not intentional yet another might think otherwise even though both have seen the same incident - just as when a referee makes any decision.Therefore we just have to trust the judgement of the disciplinary panel, who are of course looking at it in a completely neutral way. We will all have own own opinion on whether Bridge's actions were deliberate or not but we all have a personal interest (ie club affiliation); the panel do not.

exrlref ... I think you are right - it's now up to Mr.Hamilton to review all the facts and make a considered decision on the matter, irrespective of how good the player might be.  The problem is that, as we have seen when other clubs have got rid of players due to inappropriate behaviour, there is always another willing to sign them. Such actions, whether it be attacking a referee, drug taking, etc, will only stop when ALL the clubs stand together and prevent such offenders from playing by not signing them on. Unfortunately there is always some club who will always just put their own interest before the overall good of the game.

Roughyed34 ... You say about referees " ...their performances are not even reviewed. If players are getting so frustrated with officials maybe it is only fair if refs are assessed after every game ..."  Not that I am involved with the process but I do know that there is a referee's assessor at every game and a report of his performance is sent to RLHQ after each match. There have of course been instances where referees (Silverwood, Ganson) have been downgraded or suspended due to their actions.

• Like 1

Fair point.

Im sure there is no ref assessor at League 1 matches, or even a match commissioner. I could be wrong. All im saying is that the RFL need to work harder with refs to make decisions on the pitch more consistent, that is what frustrates players and fans more than anything, the way the RFL basically hush up incidents is incredible - see the NW v Hunslet drop goal farce for example- if NW hadnt asked for a review from Ganson, Sweet wouldnt have even been pulled up on it!

Part of the problem is the lack of "spare" refs, they cant drop or suspend refs for errors because there simply are not enough to go round.

Refereeing is not easy, its a thankless task and without them we have no game....but the RFL need to look at ref performances across the leagues in much more detail imho and somehow persuade more people to take up reffing, ex players i feel could contribute a lot to the game in a refereeing capacity.

Edited by roughyed34

Roughyed34 ... Again, not being involved with it all, but I do know there are assessors at EVERY match in every division. You are perfectly correct about the lack of officials but the trouble with ex-players doing in - as in every sport, not just RL - is that after they have finished playing they are often too old to actually start refereeing in time for them to progress through to the top level ... you can't just throw a newcomer into even Division 1 without having learnt what to do. Furthermore, would players want to do it for the less money they would get in comparision to playing ?

• Like 1

If Danny had been disputing a decision and then attacked then i agree with those that say he should be banned for life.

The incident in question as too many grey areas in my opinion. I really  dont believe for a minute his actions were premeditated.

He probably took advice and pleaded the way in did in ordet to reduce the ban.

Again in my opinion Dannys well being should be taken into account and he should be supported by the club.

Hopefully the referee will recieve the support he needs from the RFL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Roughyed34 ... Again, not being involved with it all, but I do know there are assessors at EVERY match in every division. You are perfectly correct about the lack of officials but the trouble with ex-players doing in - as in every sport, not just RL - is that after they have finished playing they are often too old to actually start refereeing in time for them to progress through to the top level ... you can't just throw a newcomer into even Division 1 without having learnt what to do. Furthermore, would players want to do it for the less money they would get in comparision to playing ?

The other code did with Glen Jackson

Stevos Barber ... Yes, you are correct about Glen Jackson. However, having retired as a player he was immediately taken on as a full-time professional referee in New Zealand (ie with a full wage) and fast-tracked through the system, although it still took five years to reach the level he is now. My point was that you can't just expect an ex-player to retire one week and be in charge of a professional game the following week. Like us all, he might know the basics of the rules, etc, but there is still plenty to learn about HOW to referee.

Of course - and not to decry the situation or argue against your point - Glen Jackson has really been just an one-off situation and he was also guaranteed a full wage while working his way through the system. The problem in this country is that there wouldn't be the same amount of money in the game to finance enough ex-players to begin refereeing after their playing career has ended in the same way as Glen Jackson was able to do in New Zealand. The RFL have about 8 full-time officials who, of course, take charge of the top matches, yet - and quite naturally - the lower league officials also have to have a full-time job away from rugby.  Yes, maybe the odd one might do it but I doubt if many ex professional players in this country would want to earn less money than they have been doing to begin a refereeing career after finishing playing, at probably their mid-30s, and then have to go through the process of learning the trade via junior and amateur matches before they even go into the very lowest sector of the professional game.

The question of why many ex-players don't then become referees can only be answered by them personally. I would suspect it may well be because of the reasons I stated above.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Going off the grainy video...it appears to me that he thought the ref was a keighley player trying to support the keighley player who broke away..and he took him out....that kinda thing happening in most games..

Thats the way I read it when I saw the video.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

17 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

roughyedspud ... I cannot agree with your view of the incident, especially as the ref's shirt was a completely different colour to the Keighley ones.  Yet even if your view is correct and Bridge thought the ref was a Keighley player supporting his colleague with the ball, Bridge still deserves severe punishment for doing that to an opponent, especially one who was not in possession. Furthermore, when you say "that kinda thing happening in MOST games", I can honestly say that in MOST games I have watched I have hardly ever seen a referee being even tackled in a proper manner by a player never mind being "taken out".

I never said In most games a refs get taken out..you know full well I meant players taking players out...stop being a troll...

And bridge's statement confirms my take on it..in the heat of the moment he thought it was a keighley player...and yes of course he deserves a ban..a couple of weeks at least.. 4-6 week at most...I'd definitely appeal 9months!!!

• Like 2

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

All I'd say to him is"you've been a wally and you know it. Everyone makes mistakes, it's about learning from them and setting better examples in the future". Good luck for the future mate,beit with Oldham or anyone else.

• Like 1

roughyedspud ... No I did not know what you meant and therefore I apologise if I misinterpreted your comment. Your comment actually said "it appears to me that he thought the ref was a keighley player trying to support the keighley player who broke away..and he took him out....that kinda thing happening in most games." which certainly does not make it clear that you just meant a player on player tackle. As I said, I apologise if you feel upset by my interpretation of it.  no offence was meant.

The Troll !!!!!!!

Sometimes it's about optics.....what it looks like for those on the outside.

I stopped every attachment I had to the Latics when they looked like they were signing a pariah player who was seen by many to be an abuser of women. I have no doubt many others thought that if this is what the football club is about,then I'm having nothing more to do with them. And I've kept that way..cut all connections because they represent a standard of behaviour I find abhorrent. I bet I'm not the only one who moved away after that disgraceful episode in the recent history of Latics.

Same here though with this event. I've seen the clip over and over. If Oldham are so desperate to support a player who decks a referee then thats it for me too. They don't deserve my support in any shape or form if their standards are that low. And again,there will be others who think like me.

Imagine how this is being talked about in passing conversations in pubs,factories or building sites where people chew the fat. An Oldham Rugby League player flattened the referee in a game they were losing....and the club might play him in the future. What impression does that give for the club or even the sport? I'll tell you : a terrible one,and one that decent people wan't no part of. The player pleaded guilty....he did what he was accused of. It's not why he did it (that's always going to be an unknown) but the fact that he broke a golden rule of sport in such a public setting.

If he is re-signed,then it's a nail in the coffin of Oldham Rugby. How many more nails before the death certificate is written?

Not many. It's in ICU as it is.

Edited by Pigeon Lofter
  • Like 1

The Bridge incident is all about opinions of what might or might not have happened. ie.. Was it a deliberate action or not.

After reading the report of the disciplinary panel it shows that Bridge admits hitting the referee but claims it was not deliberate and therefore he pleaded guilty to the Grade F charge. However, it just depends what type of actions that particular level refers to. Is there possibly a Grade G charge for DELIBERATELY hitting a referee which he might not have admitted to ?

The report also states that the referee said he had not had any problem with Bridge during the game, which again would tend me to believe it was not a deliberate act. However, having looked at the video several times, I cannot understand how he mistook the referee for a Keighley player ... in the video you see a tall Keighley player, stood near Bridge, raise his arms to indicate he is not involved with the play and see the referee run past him. From that point, and maybe beforehand, Bridge certainly has the referee in his line of sight and the referee then runs about 5 yards before Bridge hits him and that is why I can't understand him mistaking the referee for a Keighley player.

As I said, it is all a matter of opinions and I personally feel the ban given to Bridge is appropriate as he must be responsible for his own actions irrespective of whether he meant it or not.

The problem is that the media want sensational news thesedays and a headline of "Player hits referee" is certainly that, irrespective of the full circumstances surrounding it. Therefore those talking about it in the pub are doing so only on the sensationalism of the information the newspapers give them.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The problem is that the media want sensational news thesedays and a headline of "Player hits referee" is certainly that, irrespective of the full circumstances surrounding it. Therefore those talking about it in the pub are doing so only on the sensationalism of the information the newspapers give them.

Yep,agreed.

How many parents would want their son playing League if they hear tales of a referee being laid out by a player? How many people would want to pay to watch a sport where players assault the referee? To support the player in this is absolutely terrible for the game of RL and for the image of the club. He did it...time to get rid and let him restart somewhere else with a clean sheet.

I really believe the fans on here can't see the bigger  picture. It looks disgraceful from a distance.

In my day,RL had the reputation of foul play whereas Union was the gentlemans game. That analogy is a thing of the past but wouldn't an incident like this resurrect that idea? 

Is that the same player at Latics who was cleared of any wrongdoing in the retrial (Ched Evans)? Yet I assume you followed Latics when Lee Hughes was there-jailed for a drunken car crash that killed a man before Latics signed him? Was that abhorrent, signing him and why didn't that warrant your retraction of support? 

Bridgey made a mistake, has been punished by the sports governing body and will resume after his suspension. Looks like any excuse from you to put the boot in on players of either team and an excuse to walk away from both. Take the moral high ground by all means but he who casts the first stone etc. I guess you have never made any mistakes in your life? Plenty of players in football and rugby and other sports have done shocking things also,Cantona, Di Canio,Flower,Bishop,Houston (on more than one occasion with refs) , drugs cheats etc but continued their careers after their punishment

If Oldham resign Bridgey I'm sure plenty will welcome that decision after a belting season from the lad.

Read the forums and social media, plenty are saying the lad made a mistake, some say he should be banned for life. He had a moment of madness,the lad deserves a second chance.

Get off your moral high horse, use the incident positively to reinforce to kids that this is not the way to behave and the punishment you get for it,instead of condemning a bloke who has a previous unblemished disciplinary record to the RL scrapheap.

Edited by roughyed34
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, roughyed34 said:

Take the moral high ground by all means but he who casts the first stone etc. I guess you have never made any mistakes in your life? 

Read the forums and social media, plenty are saying the lad made a mistake, some say he should be banned for life. He had a moment of madness,the lad deserves a second chance.

Get off your moral high horse, use the incident positively to reinforce to kids that this is not the way to behave and the punishment you get for it,instead of condemning a bloke who has a previous unblemished disciplinary record to the RL scrapheap.

Of course we've all made mistakes. Lamping a referee though? I'd pack in playing if I'd done stuff like that. What was his excuse....that he intended to assault an opposition player off the ball who wouldn't have expected a head shot and so couldn't defend himself? 

Second chance? Of course,with another club. A clean sheet as his legacy at Oldham has been corrupted. Might be harsh on the player but would be good PR to pass on re-signing him. The club would get respect for that, IMO.

I don't have a moral high horse to get off. I'm a decent family bloke who believes in doing stuff the right way and not rewarding lowlife behaviour. I'm also not so obsessed with a local sports team that I would lower my standards just because someone wears an Oldham shirt.

Let's agree to disagree. I can see your point,but hold a completely different one.