Bissa signing

BISSA...

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Early doors we had some of those players mentioned but from pretty much the half way point we have just had Will Maher, that lad who were poor for Batley, who has been superb for us.

I was under the impression Maher had a sternum injury with us and was out for quite a while. Once he had recovered from that, I thought he looked good. Unfortunately, Castleford decided that they needed him in the first team for our game against Sheffield in the semi final.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I was under the impression Maher had a sternum injury with us and was out for quite a while. Once he had recovered from that, I thought he looked good. Unfortunately, Castleford decided that they needed him in the first team for our game against Sheffield in the semi final.

Correct Dogfather. Now let me see,the Sheffield coach is......o yes ,Mr Powell's mate. mmm bit strange that. Was mentioned at the time. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

25 minutes ago, colinb said:

Correct Dogfather. Now let me see,the Sheffield coach is......o yes ,Mr Powell's mate. mmm bit strange that. Was mentioned at the time. 

Would that be the same club that bought young Aston from Leeds then loaned him to Sheffield for the season?

Nothing to see here - just move along please!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

25 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Would that be the same club that bought young Aston from Leeds then loaned him to Sheffield for the season?

Will do BSJ. 

32 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sheff Sold Gary lo to cas and week after we weren’t allowed to play Maher against sheff , nothing to see , moving along

IMG_0583.JPG

I think there's still a chance we could prize Tomkins away from Catalans if we can have a whip round :punish:  

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Ok, take the p, it's what I keep saying....Ambition...let's get into the news for asking, let's be seen to go fishing every now and again, we went cap in hand to John Kear, that turned out OK.

What evidence do you have, that we went cap in hand to John Kear? 

Wakefield sacked him after a few seasons of struggling,. At that time, we had recently won the NR Cup and finished 3rd in the league under Karl Harrison, who else was going to offer him a better alternative?

Given his TV commitments with Sky and the BBC at that time, it was said that he wanted a part time role so he could continue with his TV work as well as coach. That doesn't sound like we went cap in hand to me.

On your other point:-

What you seem to see as "ambition" is nothing more than gambling. A gamble that might pay off a few times, but will catch up with you eventually, as can be seen with the myriad of  clubs that currently find themselves in financial trouble because they went for the "speculate to accumulate" philosophy you seem to be suggesting we should take. When it doesn't pay off, the clubs future is left uncertain.

Some clubs are taken over, but some are not and are lost forever. Do you remember Scarborough, Bramley, Kent invicta, Bridgend, Runcorn, Trafford Borough, Lancashire Lynx, Mansfield Marksman, Nottingham City, Carlisle or Blackpool amongst others? If we lost the gamble, I'm not convinced there would be a queue forming willing to invest the time and money in to keeping us afloat, do you? 

Have you thought, what if we are not one of the lucky clubs taken over by a new board? Would we be a Carlisle or a Doncaster? 

We have yet to find out what will happen at Fev if they do not make the top 4. Will they keep all of those highly paid players if they do not get the higher amount of central funding?

As the majority backer of York, will Mark Campbell decide to pull out of Featherstone altogether and throw all of his money at York instead of at both clubs? I do not know what his affinity is to Fev or York. But purely from a business point of view, York is a club on the up, with a large catchment area and lots of potential for growth. Certainly more than Featherstone has I'd have thought.

Spending more money on players, than what you have coming in, hoping that they will pay for themselves with increased prize money if they make the top 4, isn't "ambition" it is absolute lunacy.

Over the last 10 years, we have had much more success than Dewsbury. Logically, you would expect our gates would be outstripping our near neighbours because of that. But as can be seen with the attendances over that period, they haven't really increased in comparison.

59 minutes ago, phildog said:

Ok, take the p, it's what I keep saying....Ambition...let's get into the news for asking, let's be seen to go fishing every now and again, we went cap in hand to John Kear, that turned out OK.

That is untrue Phildog. We did not go cap in hand to John Kear.  Stick to the facts please. He knew we were looking and he helped us. Simple.

3 hours ago, colinb said:

That is untrue Phildog. We did not go cap in hand to John Kear.  Stick to the facts please. He knew we were looking and he helped us. Simple.

And a significant number of your regular posters wanted him sacked in his first season.

For the lesser clubs like ours success and survival are remarkably cyclical. Some of those condemning the lack of ambition are failing to understand that 2014 is only four years ago, not a lifetime.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

And a significant number of your regular posters wanted him sacked in his first season.

For the lesser clubs like ours success and survival are remarkably cyclical. Some of those condemning the lack of ambition are failing to understand that 2014 is only four years ago, not a lifetime.

His first season are you sure? JK was unlucky in first season he lost in two big games at Leigh & grand final winners Sheffield  before a Grand final in 2013 he was 20 minutes away from winning it Maybe 2014/2015 he had bans, injuries and a catalog of things thrown at him  

2016 he got it right with signings & injuries along with bans and it paid off! 

Jk was the first coach to take us to a Grand final.. Stozza been the closest in 2002 

Next year will be harder to sign the calibre of players but hopefully they want to join to us we shall see  

13 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

What evidence do you have, that we went cap in hand to John Kear? 

Wakefield sacked him after a few seasons of struggling,. At that time, we had recently won the NR Cup and finished 3rd in the league under Karl Harrison, who else was going to offer him a better alternative?

Given his TV commitments with Sky and the BBC at that time, it was said that he wanted a part time role so he could continue with his TV work as well as coach. That doesn't sound like we went cap in hand to me.

On your other point:-

What you seem to see as "ambition" is nothing more than gambling. A gamble that might pay off a few times, but will catch up with you eventually, as can be seen with the myriad of  clubs that currently find themselves in financial trouble because they went for the "speculate to accumulate" philosophy you seem to be suggesting we should take. When it doesn't pay off, the clubs future is left uncertain.

Some clubs are taken over, but some are not and are lost forever. Do you remember Scarborough, Bramley, Kent invicta, Bridgend, Runcorn, Trafford Borough, Lancashire Lynx, Mansfield Marksman, Nottingham City, Carlisle or Blackpool amongst others? If we lost the gamble, I'm not convinced there would be a queue forming willing to invest the time and money in to keeping us afloat, do you? 

Have you thought, what if we are not one of the lucky clubs taken over by a new board? Would we be a Carlisle or a Doncaster? 

We have yet to find out what will happen at Fev if they do not make the top 4. Will they keep all of those highly paid players if they do not get the higher amount of central funding?

As the majority backer of York, will Mark Campbell decide to pull out of Featherstone altogether and throw all of his money at York instead of at both clubs? I do not know what his affinity is to Fev or York. But purely from a business point of view, York is a club on the up, with a large catchment area and lots of potential for growth. Certainly more than Featherstone has I'd have thought.

Spending more money on players, than what you have coming in, hoping that they will pay for themselves with increased prize money if they make the top 4, isn't "ambition" it is absolute lunacy.

Over the last 10 years, we have had much more success than Dewsbury. Logically, you would expect our gates would be outstripping our near neighbours because of that. But as can be seen with the attendances over that period, they haven't really increased in comparison.

I don't think anyone has ever expected Kevin Nicholas to spend millions of pounds like Derek Beaumont, far from it. However, I think what people do expect is the odd little bit of excitement, and something to keep fans interested. After a decent first half to the season, we had a shocking injury crisis which decimated our squad. The only players we brought in as replacements were a kid from Bradford's youth set-up and an amateur scrum-half who blatantly wasn't anywhere near up to the job.

Since the injuries set in we've lost 9 games in a row. This has been a utterly dispiriting season, during which many die-hard supporters have actually begun to miss games on a regular basis. Those in charge at the club need to have a serious think about that. No-one expects a top 4 challenge every year, I don't think anyone who supports Batley is that unrealistic. However, what fans do need to see is that we're 'having a go'. That hasn't been the case this season, and it's why people are walking away. 

13 minutes ago, Eric Bristow said:

I don't think anyone has ever expected Kevin Nicholas to spend millions of pounds like Derek Beaumont, far from it. However, I think what people do expect is the odd little bit of excitement, and something to keep fans interested. After a decent first half to the season, we had a shocking injury crisis which decimated our squad. The only players we brought in as replacements were a kid from Bradford's youth set-up and an amateur scrum-half who blatantly wasn't anywhere near up to the job.

Since the injuries set in we've lost 9 games in a row. This has been a utterly dispiriting season, during which many die-hard supporters have actually begun to miss games on a regular basis. Those in charge at the club need to have a serious think about that. No-one expects a top 4 challenge every year, I don't think anyone who supports Batley is that unrealistic. However, what fans do need to see is that we're 'having a go'. That hasn't been the case this season, and it's why people are walking away. 

100% agree with everything but the signing of butterworth he's a hooker and shouldn't of played half back he'll be playing super league in the next 12-18 month at castleford 

I give up, one speaks metaphorically and the murdering mob comes out. If you're all comfortable following a side which shows little forward movement, little ambition and prepared to go along with the thought that we have a great coach and the players are in accord, then all well and good. Happy future.

....and Eric, the kid from Bradford's youth set-up has been signed by Cas. As you say, some excitement, be in the chase, be seen and heard. Those if you who say Feb might unload, we'll some of ours may also be targets, don't forget that,  some may want away, some might fall out....

18 minutes ago, phildog said:

I give up, one speaks metaphorically and the murdering mob comes out. If you're all comfortable following a side which shows little forward movement, little ambition and prepared to go along with the thought that we have a great coach and the players are in accord, then all well and good. Happy future.

Bye then. The rest of us will await your return with bated breath once things start to turn around. Sports all about ups and downs. And God knows, we’ve had plenty of downs this year, we’ve been practically crippled with injuries. Who knows what position we would be in had Reittie,

Ainscough, Brown, Lillicrop, Brambani et all had stayed fit for the majority of the season. Nobody, that’s who.

I want the Bulldogs to survive. I want to be able to go and watch them every weekend. That means that decisions have to be made by those in charge to make sure this club is still in existence in 10-20 years time. I for one will continue to trust and support them, by doing what I can do - putting my £17 over the turnstile every other week and sticking my fiver in the war chest.  After all, they’ve managed to keep the club relatively financially stable up till now, that to me says that they know what they’re doing. 

Archived