There's something a bit different about Rugby League World

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my time of subscribing to the magazine that is the most striking cover yet.

The cover just grabs you before you even think about what is between the covers

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

Looking forward to seeing the new look, although I hope there is a period of stability for the mag now something. In fact that was something I put last time posted about RLW the last time there was a new editor....a few months ago.

I'm sure there are reasons so it's not a prying comment at all (I've not been on here much so this is the first I've heard of any change to be fair). However as a long term reader, and after five editors in three and a half years, it'll be good to see some consistency. To be fair, this has been coming slowly but surely with some of the old faithfuls being dumped before reinstated. With Dave Hatfield taking a sabbatical, I don't think anything in the mag has been continually running for more than a year and a half - with Page XIII and Treiziste Diary both missing from the mag for a while. 

I actually have a couple of months backlog to read, so I'll speed through those before ushering in the new era. A word on the cover, love the picture montage, the way QLT is mashed with quality not so much, but it's a positive start, as I feel there have been a couple of dull covers this year and this most certainly is not that.

Onwards and upwards

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

38 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Looking forward to seeing the new look, although I hope there is a period of stability for the mag now something. In fact that was something I put last time posted about RLW the last time there was a new editor....a few months ago.

'Stability Central', here we come!

There are four of us steering the Good Ship RL World now, a completely in-house team at LPL with Matt Shaw leading the way as Editor-in-Chief, Lorraine Marsden as Production Editor, Alex Davis as Features Editor and me, the old hand offering lots of hopefully sage advice as Executive Editor.

RLW-Team-600.jpg

The mag has had a bit of a makeover designwise, nothing too drastic but looking a bit smarter and tidier now, we think, with a mix of old and new features to appeal to our existing readership and also pull in new/lapsed readers too.

Interacting with the readership will be a big part of the new mag as things progress, so any and all feedback is welcomed.

Matt Shaw is keen to raise the profile of the mag and give it a proper voice in the sport, so he'll be a lot more visible than any of the previous incumbents (shrinking violets the lot of em) have been.

We're genuinely excited for people to see the mag and tell us what they think.

I'll be reading it tomorrow when it reaches the Oxford postcodes... Tbh I think it completely nosedived then picked up again, then seemed to lose its way again. I think this might just be because no one's stayed in the hotseat long enough to stamp their personality on it. The last one to do so actually stopped me buying it for a bit. HST, John's acting editorship was a high point....

OK, read it cover to cover now waiting for a job interview. Overall a massive improvement, and for the first time in a long time every single article is worth reading properly. It feels like literally months if not years since that's been the case. Gone are the "what's your favourite meal" interviews (thank God) - please keep them gone. 

My only criticism is the double page team of the week stuff. I saw the SL and thought it was a bit light on the whys but looked pretty, but then realised you'd also done 2 pagers on the champ, L1, etc - then gone abroad and done it for them too. I would *either* put more meat on the bones as to selections, or condense the whole lot down onto a page. At the moment it feels like a waste of space and I'd happily buy it that many pages shorter if necessary!

Overall though a really promising work in progress, just hoping this time round the regime is given time to bed in before the dice get rolled again!

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

OK, read it cover to cover now waiting for a job interview. Overall a massive improvement, and for the first time in a long time every single article is worth reading properly. It feels like literally months if not years since that's been the case. Gone are the "what's your favourite meal" interviews (thank God) - please keep them gone. 

My only criticism is the double page team of the week stuff. I saw the SL and thought it was a bit light on the whys but looked pretty, but then realised you'd also done 2 pagers on the champ, L1, etc - then gone abroad and done it for them too. I would *either* put more meat on the bones as to selections, or condense the whole lot down onto a page. At the moment it feels like a waste of space and I'd happily buy it that many pages shorter if necessary!

Overall though a really promising work in progress, just hoping this time round the regime is given time to bed in before the dice get rolled again!

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you've enjoyed the new mag. :)

The Teams of the Month are really popular with the clubs and the players (example below), which is the driving force behind reintroducing them to the mag after a hiatus of several years.

We want to try to reconnect the mag with players and get them reading and reacting to it too, as well as widening the base of supporters who read it. They are also positioned to allow the rest of the mag room to 'breathe' - past criticisms of RLW have been that it has been too crammed with words and too 'heavy' so we've used these features to open each section on SL/CC/L1/NRL. Our belief was if we were doing one, we had to include them all to avoid accusations of elitism and because we know a lot of our readers closely follow the game outside SL.

We've also unashamedly included each Player of the Month as a full page poster, complete with snip lines, to encourage younger fans to cut them out and put them up on their bedroom walls or school/club noticeboards. We think players should be bigged up and presented as inspirational/heroic figures for kids to admire and want to emulate themselves.

Happy to take on board your point that the teams need fleshing out a bit more on how we come up with them though. We don't just pluck names out of a hat, it's done by canvassing the opinions of coaches as an ongoing process throughout the month, as they're the real experts on who's hot and who's not, alongside the thoughts of the editorial team and our posse of writers. Some of the coaches reactions can be quite comical too, as per the one we've included in the Kicking Off feature this issue - though we're still not prepared to break scout's honour and reveal which League 1 coach wants to electrocute all his players for not winning. :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Happy to take on board your point that the teams need fleshing out a bit more on how we come up with them though. We don't just pluck names out of a hat, it's done by canvassing the opinions of coaches as an ongoing process throughout the month, as they're the real experts on who's hot and who's not, alongside the thoughts of the editorial team and our posse of writers. 

Thanks for replying John - as a non-heartlander for whom this forum and the mag is basically the most contact I have with RL much of the time I'd actually love a sentence on each player as to *why* they've been picked, otherwise it's basically just a parade of blokes in shirts. I didn't for a minute think you'd got the hat out btw

Archived