Salford asking fans to raise money to buy players

3 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

I'm just going by what read on the threads as I've never been there so thanks for the update on the stadium. Is the fan based actually much larger than the 3K that attend games?  How many Salford fans are roughly out there and what needs to be done to get them to come and watch more games, buy more kits and help make the club viable? Would being in the championship affect the attendance figures or are these the core fans that will be there thick and thin and the Championship wouldn't be the end of the club?

in all honesty i'm just trying to wrap my head around the situations  of some clubs as I'm still new to the sport and hearing of so many clubs in dire financial situations is a new phenomenon that is rather worrying to me. is this normal or a sign that things are really bad and the finals stand actually is the next contract negotiation?

Krzysztof don’t believe all the stuff that you read on some of these threads,some posters appear to support various clubs according to their posts but in actual fact some will hardly visit a live match.

Last year we had.5000/6000 at a challenge cup semi final,so that shows an interest there,last game at the Willows there were 10000 plus.

The hard core fans that I know will support the club in whichever league/competition they are in.

What doesn’t help the club is so called experts who advised the owner on a strategy on player recruitment with a large expenditure of money that clearly failed and the regular loyal fans that turned up every week forecast what the end result would be right at the start of that experiment,which by the way was initiated by a man very close to Toronto, Mr Noble.

What also doesn’t help is the fact that over recent years matches have been arrranged on every day of the week with little or no thought for the fans and their family commitments.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:01 AM, Krzzystuff said:

I'm just going by what read on the threads as I've never been there so thanks for the update on the stadium. Is the fan based actually much larger than the 3K that attend games?  How many Salford fans are roughly out there and what needs to be done to get them to come and watch more games, buy more kits and help make the club viable? Would being in the championship affect the attendance figures or are these the core fans that will be there thick and thin and the Championship wouldn't be the end of the club?

in all honesty i'm just trying to wrap my head around the situations  of some clubs as I'm still new to the sport and hearing of so many clubs in dire financial situations is a new phenomenon that is rather worrying to me. is this normal or a sign that things are really bad and the finals stand actually is the next contract negotiation? 

Salford have about 2,000 loyal fans and to their credit the percentage of these that travel away is very good. Probably 500 more are occasional fans. Living in Salford I know that there is a marvellous hard core support that deserve better. I regularly bump into people in pubs that used to go to Salford. I would guess that if they all came back the current attendance would double - but that is not going to happen. 5,000 when you consider the population of Salford is still not a lot. The majority of people I talk to around Salford have very little or no interest in Rugby League. It is a football City with most people following Manchester United and Manchester City. Even Salford  City FC are now matching the RL club in attendances. Also, Salford is one of the most deprived areas in the Country and money is scarce. Sad but true. People have to be careful where they spend their  money.  I went to my first game in 1971 but stopped going in 1999, not because I fell out with Salford but because I don't like Super League. In the 70's and 80's I went about 19 seasons without missing a game home or away. I still go to Salford when I can, but only because my sons are season ticket holders. Seeing them in the sorry state that they are in now however has hit home hard and if I could would start supporting them as often as I can again, just to help out in a small way. I can't do that because I work nights on a Friday. I watch amateur RL every Saturday so it would have to be Sunday for me.

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

Does the NRL website have a premonition of what’s to come ... they say Lussick is joining ‘ English championship side Salford ‘

Nah! That's just down to the negativity towards Salford amongst some posters on here.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived