25-29 Jul: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

I think the Bulls were pretty clinical the first 20 minutes or so, which was pleasing considering much has been made of our slow starts. The Skolars certainly made more of a fist of it before half time, and I thought generally our line defence was pretty good as they could have had more than six as the hooter went. 

Second half we scored a couple of Belters, good team efforts and was one of Chisholm's "on" games. Good for Lilley to get over the line, I think he looked a bit ring rusty other than that. I'm sure he'll be up to speed soon. Can't say fairer than the final result, especially as after Skolars have run a few teams close recently, including York. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Amber Avenger said:

I think the Bulls were pretty clinical the first 20 minutes or so, which was pleasing considering much has been made of our slow starts. The Skolars certainly made more of a fist of it before half time, and I thought generally our line defence was pretty good as they could have had more than six as the hooter went. 

Second half we scored a couple of Belters, good team efforts and was one of Chisholm's "on" games. Good for Lilley to get over the line, I think he looked a bit ring rusty other than that. I'm sure he'll be up to speed soon. Can't say fairer than the final result, especially as after Skolars have run a few teams close recently, including York. 

Yes I should have said - a couple of great tries, particularly that one with the cross field kick. 

Agree with the comments from Essex RL and Amber Avenger.

Great to see a good crowd there. Sods law though that I should be

in York for a family commitment on the day when we clearly did so well 

against them at New River.  

On 7/26/2018 at 5:40 PM, Angelic Cynic said:

Against a side put together over the years by the Coventry coach where everyone knows their place,and their position,and side has been moulded over a certain period of time we really struggled.

Appreciate your comments AC but wouldn't quite say that the Bears team has been quite ' put together over the years ' - a good number of those players are new to the club in 2018  and a fair number are also on their first season as pro players ..

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, John Drake said:

I hope so. 

I've been to all the Bulls away games this season and the travelling support has been consistently strong so far.

Just missed Hemel away. Ranks as top 3 away games with Newcastle and York. Thoughts on Egodo John?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I thought the Bulls played well I the first half, it sounded relatively even with a score of only 0 - 14 at halftime but the wind was a big factor, imo. Much was made of the big Skolars pack but to be fair they were well contained by the Bulls outfit. For the Bulls my MOM was probably Dane Chisholm, with James Green close behind. I like the look of Egodo who had and excellent game especially considering he only joined the club two day previously.

Skolars always looked dangerous but the Bulls defended extremely well in general and the final score was much wider than I expected.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Just now, Hopping Mad said:

Good old BBC Sport website. What a surprise they got the score wrong!

Haha, should have known.

Good result for WW really. Would have been nice to see them get a win this season but at least they have competed better in recent weeks.

4 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Just missed Hemel away. Ranks as top 3 away games with Newcastle and York. Thoughts on Egodo John?

Looks like a very good signing to me. He played well against us for Newcastle, so happy to have him in the team, certainly made his presence felt on his Bulls debut.

1 hour ago, Bulliac said:

I thought the Bulls played well I the first half, it sounded relatively even with a score of only 0 - 14 at halftime but the wind was a big factor, imo. Much was made of the big Skolars pack but to be fair they were well contained by the Bulls outfit. For the Bulls my MOM was probably Dane Chisholm, with James Green close behind. I like the look of Egodo who had and excellent game especially considering he only joined the club two day previously.

Skolars always looked dangerous but the Bulls defended extremely well in general and the final score was much wider than I expected.

Fair summary of the game, that.

The wind factor resulted in a few extraordinary moments! The ball suddenly changing direction mid flight on Chisholm's first attempted conversion was a sign of things to come, and the kick restarts from the half way line after a try had been scored became a bit of a lottery, watching it go ten and then start to go backwards again. :biggrin:

Also worth mentioning, another away ground where Bulls fans have been made very welcome by the host club. Skolars put on plenty of pre-match activity and it really added to the event, even though I couldn't sample it as much as I'd like to have done, having got stuck in a fair bit of traffic on the journey and only arriving 20 minutes before kick off.

Travelling away in League 1 can be hard work because of the distances you have to cover, but for me it has been a great experience this season. I've gained a new respect for the competition and all the clubs in it. Anyone who just looks at the scores, but has never seen a game, trust me, the scores do not tell the whole story of what's going on at this level.

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Fair summary of the game, that.

The wind factor resulted in a few extraordinary moments! The ball suddenly changing direction mid flight on Chisholm's first attempted conversion was a sign of things to come, and the kick restarts from the half way line after a try had been scored became a bit of a lottery, watching it go ten and then start to go backwards again. :biggrin:

Also worth mentioning, another away ground where Bulls fans have been made very welcome by the host club. Skolars put on plenty of pre-match activity and it really added to the event, even though I couldn't sample it as much as I'd like to have done, having got stuck in a fair bit of traffic on the journey and only arriving 20 minutes before kick off.

Travelling away in League 1 can be hard work because of the distances you have to cover, but for me it has been a great experience this season. I've gained a new respect for the competition and all the clubs in it. Anyone who just looks at the scores, but has never seen a game, trust me, the scores do not tell the whole story of what's going on at this level.

Agree with all that John. 

I travelled with the Bulls coach and face similar traffic conditions, only arriving 40m minutes before the kick off. We found out later that a local event had caused a number of road closures, which I guess was the primary cause, well...on top of the usual London traffic, of course.

I thought the Skolars played the wind very well in the second half, those short kick-offs, with the ball blowing back to them were brilliantly used, not to mention very inventive! 

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

The Cru's season now dribbling out in a mess of ill discipline and unforced errors, this time 22 - 36 to a well drilled and efficient Workington team, Leon Pryce has a nice looking outfit there. York away and Bratfud at Queensway next - HELPPP! Not a bad day weather wise on the plus side for a rather thin looking crowd (number not given over the PA) with a decent contingent from Workington - all the Cumbrian clubs seem to have good away support.

Step too far for the Bears today looking for their 5th win in a row. York played well and dominated throughout. Bears looked fatigued after spending most of the game defending (some guys were playing their 6th game in 2 weeks) and got very little from the officials. 

All good things must come to and end, been a good little run the Bears have had. Congrats to York who looking at the quality they have and their fixtures for the rest of the season may well finish top. 

Archived