2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That said, the "no fire in his belly" comment is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. Just my opinion of course!!!

Why because you don’t agree! This is what I see week in week, this is my view of him.....

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

(Virtually) Every club in the championship is looking for those sort of players in key positions (centres, props, half backs.....). The fact that no one appears to be signing any suggests that there aren't any around. I'm not sure I've seen many players at other clubs (top 4 sides excepted, who we probably would struggle to afford next year anyway) this season who I've thought 'I wish he was playing for us'. For example, I keep reading that Guzdek at Dewsbury is a class (at this level) FB, but I've yet to see anything when we've played Dewsbury to convince me that he would improve us over IH!

Not disagreeing with you at all. in 2017 we picked up Hardcastle from the Lions and we hoped to repeat the trick with Gale in 2018. We never got the chance to see.

Recruitment doesn't seem an exact science, and in fact, even at the best of recruiters always seems a bit hit & miss. DP seemed to be particularly good, but perhaps that was his coaching development of his recruits once signed.

Maybe this is why there is so much player movement. The temptation is to keep moving players on.

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

That’s why we need to sign another full back. Problem is, if Hardmans part of the squad for next year, he’ll always play ?

We needed to bring in a young full back to share and grow into the role 2years ago. We seem to get players for a couple of seasons without a long term strategy.

4 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

We neede to bring in a young full back to share and grow into the role 2years ago. We seem to get players for a couple of seasons without a long term strategy.

However desirable th  it may be, mid-term thinking (let along long term) with squads these days is wishful. You get your budget, and you get the best squad you can. Freedom of contract and the lack of reserves, plus the availablility of DR make player development in that sense almost non-existant for all clubs except the top of SL.

It's a shame, but there it is.

Obviously the whole structure of the 2019 Team depends on what our budget is for next year to either improve or sign lower class players.To find out this I would expect MC to make an announcement after the season ends to what we have in the Bank and what our aspirations are.The trouble is there is no transparency on important issues throughout the season although privacy on some topics is quite understandable.A couple of questions I would like to see answered by the people in the know on here are

1 The Club is owned by its members/share holders .Who holds the most shares?

2 what have we got in our savings and future sponsorship revenue coming in .Surely it is passed on to Shareholders this information?

3 Is there anything happening on getting to a stage to get financial reward from our land or the units.

If we know the answers to all of the above we will have an idea of what Team we will have going forward but I bet the majority of the above will not be known as the Transparency of our great Club is very cloudy indeed .At least in the eighties and nineties we were told we were skint and how much we needed to exist .

14 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Obviously the whole structure of the 2019 Team depends on what our budget is for next year to either improve or sign lower class players.To find out this I would expect MC to make an announcement after the season ends to what we have in the Bank and what our aspirations are.The trouble is there is no transparency on important issues throughout the season although privacy on some topics is quite understandable.A couple of questions I would like to see answered by the people in the know on here are

1 The Club is owned by its members/share holders .Who holds the most shares?

2 what have we got in our savings and future sponsorship revenue coming in .Surely it is passed on to Shareholders this information?

3 Is there anything happening on getting to a stage to get financial reward from our land or the units.

If we know the answers to all of the above we will have an idea of what Team we will have going forward but I bet the majority of the above will not be known as the Transparency of our great Club is very cloudy indeed .At least in the eighties and nineties we were told we were skint and how much we needed to exist .

1. MC by a long way - over 50% of B shares (of which there are 60189 in total)

2. No idea. No - cash 'in hand' is usually in the published accounts (£64191 as of 30th Nov 2016 according to the last published accounts) but commercially sensitive info (sponsorship etc) is (rightly) kept well under wraps.

3. ? I don't believe the Club has gone through the correct procedures to carry out the proposals outlined to some A shareholders (621 in total). If they do go ahead with the plan, whether anyone will take issues is another matter.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Not sure where we stand with Tom Holmes. Obviously the ACL will take time. I think he had just a one year contract and a SL club (Hudds) lined up before the injury. Where he is now with that could be different

He’s still going to Huddersfield apparently Huddersfield have paid for the operation because we wouldn’t.

i hope I don’t see brooks in a Fev shirt next year for the size of him he’s scared stiff against decent teams .

Hardcastle into the second row,new centre with pace and now we have lost Briscoe can we have a speedy winger for a change?.Robinson works hard but is not the quickest in a foot race.Keiron Dixon on Sunday frightened me to death every time he recieved a pass he always looked a threat,credit to Richard Moore though for saving us 2points it wasn't needed by London but could have been crucial.

56 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

1. MC by a long way - over 50% of B shares (of which there are 60189 in total)

2. No idea. No - cash 'in hand' is usually in the published accounts (£64191 as of 30th Nov 2016 according to the last published accounts) but commercially sensitive info (sponsorship etc) is (rightly) kept well under wraps.

3. ? I don't believe the Club has gone through the correct procedures to carry out the proposals outlined to some A shareholders (621 in total). If they do go ahead with the plan, whether anyone will take issues is another matter.

Thanks for that 

16 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Hardcastle into the second row,new centre with pace and now we have lost Briscoe can we have a speedy winger for a change?.Robinson works hard but is not the quickest in a foot race.Keiron Dixon on Sunday frightened me to death every time he recieved a pass he always looked a threat,credit to Richard Moore though for saving us 2points it wasn't needed by London but could have been crucial.

Maybe you could suggest a few names to fill these spots?

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Whilst there's nothing intrinsically wrong with speculating, unless someone also suggests a (in their opinion) better replacement, these threads very quickly become not worth reading (see eg some of the comments on Hardman above). And, given our budget is almost certainly going to be less next season, that player being available becomes very important as we're unlikely to splashing out any transfer fees.

When listing those players that some would like to get rid, should we assume that none of them are already contracted for next season?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

When listing those players that some would like to get rid, should we assume that none of them are already contracted for next season?

...and there's another thing, any who are would quite possibly need 'paying off'. TBH I lost track of length of contracts signed by players many years ago.

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Full-backs need more pace than props and hardman's legs have gone. If he re-invented himself as a loose forward, I'd reconsider his category.

All credit to his amazing career, but Im looking at 2019.

I get where you're coming from, and would be inclined to agree. Was just playing devil's advocate. ;)

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived