2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Rumour has it that they're the lowest payers of the 'big' SL clubs - at least as far as contract money goes, but with a generous bonus system. With Lilley, I think that one of the reasons he's gone to Bradford is to get him regular game time for an extended period, something he was unlikely to be guaranteed with us.

I think that's what Fev needs, a generous bonus system? Pay them more than they normally would if they hit target, but basic pay if they don't. It would also be an idea to have it written into contract that a player can receive a big fine if he is suspended, or maybe a squad fining system whereby the mates they are letting down at least receive some financial benefit.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

I think that's what Fev needs, a generous bonus system? Pay them more than they normally would if they hit target, but basic pay if they don't. It would also be an idea to have it written into contract that a player can receive a big fine if he is suspended, or maybe a squad fining system whereby the mates they are letting down at least receive some financial benefit.

I'm sure the Club have a bonus system in place and I dare say that RFL approved contracts allow 'fines' but I suspect they also specify what acts a player can be fined for and limit the size of the fine that can be imposed.

Think we need to wait and see who wants to stay  before picking a team, Although the team we had was good enough to make second for me just the injuries what stopped us ,4 of the best players in this league long term injured during the season killed us 

9 minutes ago, paff said:

Think we need to wait and see who wants to stay  before picking a team, Although the team we had was good enough to make second for me just the injuries what stopped us ,4 of the best players in this league long term injured during the season killed us 

Agree with all this, we've finished one point behind the second-placed team. I'd add that we need also to wait and see until more details come out about what our financial situation is for next season, clearly belts are going to be tightened but it remains to be seen by whet extent. A fans' forum in the coming weeks probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

So does yesterday’s win in Toronto make any difference to people’s thoughts on next years squad?

Only that it shows WHAT they can do when they want to. 

Just think the rubbish you've watched this season, have secured that you'll be watching another rubbish next season, can't see how you'll be paying big bucks in wages for the likes of ridyard, hock, thackeray, Holmes, wildie, walton, ulugia, taulapapa, Moore.. Rugby leagues Big wheel in action again, sometimes your up on top, sometimes your at the bottom, it just goes around and around

:)

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

We've had ten good years. Its reight

That's the attitude Robin, your clubs not on the edge of oblivion like some clubs, you've just gotta cut your cloth accordingly.. You'll bounce back no fears of that :)

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Agree with all this, we've finished one point behind the second-placed team. I'd add that we need also to wait and see until more details come out about what our financial situation is for next season, clearly belts are going to be tightened but it remains to be seen by whet extent. A fans' forum in the coming weeks probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

The extra difficulty for all Championship clubs is the uncertainty of the structure next year: one up/one down; eights; equal distributions etc. If you don't know what you might be playing for how is it possible to develop a meaningful budget?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It’s important that all championship clubs try and develop money streams which are independent of central funding so they become less dependent on where you finish and what scraps SL clubs want to share. Will be hard work but I’m sure we will get there.

I think for Mark's original list it would be helpful if we can work out which player's contracts expire this year and who is contracted beyond 2018. You'd think many of those whose contracts expire this year might be offered significantly less next year given our funding issues, at which point presumably whether they stay with us or not will depend on whether they get offered a better deal elsewhere.

I'll have a stab: Ridyard, Robinson and Wheeldon all signed two-year contracts to the end of 2019, Hock signed an extension for 2019 earlier this year, Walton's contract also extends to the end of 2019 as does that of Davies, Hardcastle and Cooper. Thackeray's 3-year contract ends this year I think and clearly it's hard to see him being offered anything like what he was presumably on before. Holmes (rumoured to be moving on anyway), Hardman, Farrell, Carlile, Wildie, Ulugia, Taulapapa, Brooks and Moore are others who I think aren't contracted beyond the end of 2018. Not sure about Lockwood and Knowles.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm sure the Club have a bonus system in place and I dare say that RFL approved contracts allow 'fines' but I suspect they also specify what acts a player can be fined for and limit the size of the fine that can be imposed.

I can't imagine there's anything to stop a voluntary fining system amongst the players themselves? Some of the instances of indiscipline this year have let their team mates down. Wildie's display in Toronto suggests he would have made a huge difference in the London game, and because he couldn't hold his tongue at The Shay his colleagues are under the threat of pay cuts. That's only one instance but lessons have to be learned for next year and it can start within the squad and their own relationships with each other. They all rush in when one of their team mates is punched so why can't they think about how their own misdemeanours affect their buddies?

8 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I can't imagine there's anything to stop a voluntary fining system amongst the players themselves? Some of the instances of indiscipline this year have let their team mates down. Wildie's display in Toronto suggests he would have made a huge difference in the London game, and because he couldn't hold his tongue at The Shay his colleagues are under the threat of pay cuts. That's only one instance but lessons have to be learned for next year and it can start within the squad and their own relationships with each other. They all rush in when one of their team mates is punched so why can't they think about how their own misdemeanours affect their buddies?

They would probably have "had a word" 40 years ago Steve.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Hard to imagine they don't have one anyway - although I've never played sport at anything that could be remotely described as above a very low level, virtually every team I played in had a fining system that helped pay for the end of season excesses!

12 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

In theory a good idea but given the already random / biased / inconsistent (whatever you believe) nature of the punishment handed out by the clowns on the disciplinary panel I think it would be grossly unfair to further punish players based on their decisions.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, David Shepherd said:

We'll just have to do what we always do in times of need: Raid our feeder clubs, Batley and Dewsbury for players.?

think you already have for next season ????

I'm sure there will be some coming in as well. That's how these things usually work. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I was hoping there would be a good clear out but after the Toronto game win it rather makes it a bit difficult to part with players that you know are good enough but in retrospect they didn’t produce that performance when we needed it in the past so let it go through its motions.

I might be misreading this completely, but Greg Stebbings' cryptic tweets over the last week about obsessively checking mobile phones seem to have been liked by an awful lot of our squad. Am only guessing like most others, but with plenty of Leigh's fans seeming very uncertain about their club's sitaution for next season, these are possibly uncertain times for upper-level Championship players, as if Toronto get promoted it may be there are very few, if any clubs able to pay premium rates in this division next season. Suspect it will be 2 or 3 months down the line before things start to get much clearer.

Archived