2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I might be misreading this completely, but Greg Stebbings' cryptic tweets over the last week about obsessively checking mobile phones seem to have been liked by an awful lot of our squad. Am only guessing like most others, but with plenty of Leigh's fans seeming very uncertain about their club's sitaution for next season, these are possibly uncertain times for upper-level Championship players, as if Toronto get promoted it may be there are very few, if any clubs able to pay premium rates in this division next season. Suspect it will be 2 or 3 months down the line before things start to get much clearer.

I don't do twitter, so what are these cryptic tweets implying? Purely in your own opinion of course!

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

I don't do twitter, so what are these cryptic tweets implying? Purely in your own opinion of course!

Quite - it might just be an in-joke or a wind-up for all I know. Just seemed a reference to people being nervous about getting a phone call at the moment, not hard to speculate about why that might be.

It will all unfold as you say in the coming months. I expect there will be the usual retirements, players wishing to move, players being told to move, new players coming in etc. Other than Halifax though it is difficult to see where any player thinking they will get a better offer to play part time somewhere else would end at. And as we know from Oxyboy, none of our squad are good enough for the Fax team!

5 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

It will all unfold as you say in the coming months. I expect there will be the usual retirements, players wishing to move, players being told to move, new players coming in etc. Other than Halifax though it is difficult to see where any player thinking they will get a better offer to play part time somewhere else would end at. And as we know from Oxyboy, none of our squad are good enough for the Fax team!

I suspect that at least one of (and probably both if promoted) Bradford and York will be splashing some cash next season - according to the Batley chairman they are both richer clubs than his own which I suspect is currently one of, if not the, richest of those outside the top 6. Additionally Leigh may well be looking to sign some top end PT players. Not sure whether 'fax will splash much cash - there were some rumours a while back that they again needed to finish top 4 to avoid 'cuts'

22 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I suspect that at least one of (and probably both if promoted) Bradford and York will be splashing some cash next season - according to the Batley chairman they are both richer clubs than his own which I suspect is currently one of, if not the, richest of those outside the top 6. Additionally Leigh may well be looking to sign some top end PT players. Not sure whether 'fax will splash much cash - there were some rumours a while back that they again needed to finish top 4 to avoid 'cuts'

This all makes sense. Another thing to bear in mind is that players from teams that make the top 4 tend to be looking for bonuses...in the (excellent) book "underdogs" about Batley's top-4 season in 2016 there was a section that covered the players lobbying the chairman for (and getting) extra payments after they had made the 4.

12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Oh yeah, forgot about the promoted clubs! Could York match what we pay our players? it's not as if they have anyone in the know connected with them that could possibly be party to the contract agreements of our players...........................................

2 hours ago, painkiller said:

Morgan punchcard left fax I’m hearing we have signed him not sure how good he is but it would make sense if we are clearing the decks

One of the best passers of a ball that I have ever seen at Fax. Unfortunately his other skills are nowhere near what they need to be to play 1st team at a good championship club. Dom Branbani was similar and had a spell in Aus and has gone on to be a superb championship player.He was already established at this level before going though. You will be guttedif he is Holmes replacement though.

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

One of the best passers of a ball that I have ever seen at Fax. Unfortunately his other skills are nowhere near what they need to be to play 1st team at a good championship club. Dom Branbani was similar and had a spell in Aus and has gone on to be a superb championship player.He was already established at this level before going though. You will be guttedif he is Holmes replacement though.

more thacks replacement i think

14 hours ago, painkiller said:

I’m hearing thacks has been cut loose 

Common sense suggests that he would be one of the top earners at Fev and it seems your chairman has been trying to offload him for a few seasons now. Hes been at Fev for a number of years on a contract that is only going in his favour so hes obviously one under threat.

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Heard he he could be following your chairman to York ?

That would make sense. Does he still live in Hull?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Heard he he could be following your chairman to York ?

Hear a lot of fev gossip for a Dewsbury fan, campbell already got his finger in the pie at york anyway. Hes done a great job at fev and were in a decent position off the field, so if he goes thats fine someone else comes in and runs the club. As for thackray, might have been superstar at Dewsbury but couldnt get a game when everyone was fit, weve had the best days out of him, again we move on. Seems to be highlight of your season seeing a few leaving fev, must be a sad life supporting the Dews?.

I would have been amazed if Thacks had stayed on after this year regardless of where we had finished. Everyone including our friends at Dewsbury banged on about how we had splashed the cash on his 3-year deal and the fact that we brought in 2 replacements at half back before his final year tells us plenty. I seem to remember Blues Ox suggesting he had been touted around to other clubs at certain stages. 

He's been good for us overall and was the best available to us when we signed him imo but his value now would be nothing like when he signed the3-year contract.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:40 AM, The Phantom Horseman said:

I might be misreading this completely, but Greg Stebbings' cryptic tweets over the last week about obsessively checking mobile phones seem to have been liked by an awful lot of our squad. Am only guessing like most others, but with plenty of Leigh's fans seeming very uncertain about their club's sitaution for next season, these are possibly uncertain times for upper-level Championship players, as if Toronto get promoted it may be there are very few, if any clubs able to pay premium rates in this division next season. Suspect it will be 2 or 3 months down the line before things start to get much clearer.

Stebbings has locked his twitter account since you posted this. ?

On 11 August 2018 at 1:06 PM, The Phantom Horseman said:

I would have been amazed if Thacks had stayed on after this year regardless of where we had finished. Everyone including our friends at Dewsbury banged on about how we had splashed the cash on his 3-year deal and the fact that we brought in 2 replacements at half back before his final year tells us plenty. I seem to remember Blues Ox suggesting he had been touted around to other clubs at certain stages. 

He's been good for us overall and was the best available to us when we signed him imo but his value now would be nothing like when he signed the3-year contract.

We will take him back..... Swap for Moore maybe?

6 minutes ago, ramsfandan said:

We will take him back..... Swap for Moore maybe?

Demi?

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

The way the spread of cash at the end of the season is diabolical. Both us and Leigh look like having to cull players(Leigh have already done so). The championship is certainly not a level playing field. Just by getting into the top 4 should not give you a bigger slice of the cake, they have a chance of promotion , so why extra cash.

On another side, I think the Championship could be even tighter, and it would not surprise me if Fev are  in the relegation dog fight, as both Bradford and , if York go up , them  will be no easy beats. If York go up will MC be on his bike ? 

• 2 weeks later...

So...after the fan's forum we know a bit more, and hopefully are a bit more optimistic about next season. Ridyard, Davies, Hardcastle, Lockwood, Cooper, Wheeldon and Walton all staying next year (acknowledging the latter two, especially Walton, have long-term injuries), two new signings who played in the World Cup, more signings (perhaps not so high profile ones) to come. That should be enough to keep the talk of relegation at bay for a while...

Hardman, Misi and Ulugia confirmed as leaving, seems likely there will be quite a few more from the existing squad but, to paraphrase Mark Twain, it seems that perhaps rumours of our demise are exaggerated.

Archived