2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So...after the fan's forum we know a bit more, and hopefully are a bit more optimistic about next season. Ridyard, Davies, Hardcastle, Lockwood, Cooper, Wheeldon and Walton all staying next year (acknowledging the latter two, especially Walton, have long-term injuries), two new signings who played in the World Cup, more signings (perhaps not so high profile ones) to come. That should be enough to keep the talk of relegation at bay for a while...

Hardman, Misi and Ulugia confirmed as leaving, seems likely there will be quite a few more from the existing squad but, to paraphrase Mark Twain, it seems that perhaps rumours of our demise are exaggerated.

Decent pack (if fit) there already.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So...after the fan's forum we know a bit more, and hopefully are a bit more optimistic about next season. Ridyard, Davies, Hardcastle, Lockwood, Cooper, Wheeldon and Walton all staying next year (acknowledging the latter two, especially Walton, have long-term injuries), two new signings who played in the World Cup, more signings (perhaps not so high profile ones) to come. That should be enough to keep the talk of relegation at bay for a while...

Hardman, Misi and Ulugia confirmed as leaving, seems likely there will be quite a few more from the existing squad but, to paraphrase Mark Twain, it seems that perhaps rumours of our demise are exaggerated.

Wildie and Carlile have offers on the table but are holding out for better elsewhere is the gist I got from the forum. Briscoe will be available on DR too next season

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Whilst Briscoe might be DR'd I'd say it's more he might, rather than will, be available.

I'd agree; I took "will be available on DR" to mean "will be registered on DR with us and made available when not required by Leeds". Guess much will depend on whether Leeds sign another winger to replace Hall, and then on injuries.

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not signing a winger and relying on Briscoe being available would be a mistake on our part I feel.

Absolutely. I don't recall last night any mention of any wingers being signed on for next season, never mind any back up for injuries. It is still early days however so we will just have to wait and see what the club announce.....or go on facebook, whichever you prefer!  

I'd quite like to see some season long loans, in a similar way to when we had Baldwinson, Tonks, Foster and Minns, although maybe not through such a convoluted contract route as we went with them. That would give us the benefit of consistency in availability, and Leeds (or whoever) the chance to see younger players at a higher level. 

Whylie and Newman would be as good a place to start as any. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I'd quite like to see some season long loans, in a similar way to when we had Baldwinson, Tonks, Foster and Minns, although maybe not through such a convoluted contract route as we went with them. That would give us the benefit of consistency in availability, and Leeds (or whoever) the chance to see younger players at a higher level. 

Spot on, we need young hungry players with something to prove and a club that will not stand in their way should they prove themselves and allow them to move on to bigger challenges. Blend them with an experienced 1,6,7 and 13 and we should go o.k.

3 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Heard we’ve signed two PNG Backs and one is Fullback and quality.

Whatever happened to local talent!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

History (both ours and other clubs') says that season long loans, unless you go down the convoluted route, aren't really worth the paper they're written on. They either contain termination clauses or are 28 day loans with continual short extensions, both allowing the parent club to take them back any time after the minimum loan period has passed.

In fairness if you look at it in the cold light of day, none of the confirmed departures come as any great surprise. Hardman, Misi, Moore and Hock, as good as they have been for us, are all nearing the end of their careers at the level we demand as supporters and for me were always going to be moved on at the end of the season. Holmes was only here for a year to earn himself a crack at the big time so no surprise there either.

OP completely re-edited as follows:

Featherstone Rovers have used 36 players this season plus Chris Ulugia who hasn't played.

9 of those were DR players from Leeds and 4 more loan signings (Turgut, Smith, Whylie, Clark)

Of 24 players then, we have

16 Players confirmed/pending for 2019

Martyn Ridyard (injured)

Liam Farrell

Jason Walton (injured)

Anthony Thackeray

Scott Wheeldon (Injured)

James Lockwood

Shaun Robinson

Josh Hardcastle

Matty Wildie

Keal Carlile

Luke Cooper

Brad Knowles

John Davies

Sam Brooks

Danny Maskill

James Thornton ??

8 Players leaving

Luke Briscoe (Back on DR)

Ian Hardman

Misi Taulapapa

Richard Moore

Gareth Hock

Tom Holmes

Chris Ulugia

Frankie Mariano

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Both League Express and League Weekly (albeit via Nosey Parker's column) have stated that we are in for Brad Day and James Harrison of Batley, both of these have been rumoured on the Batley forum previously. They'd both be solid signings imo.

Parker says Hock has signed for Newcastle Thunder and Richard Moore for Hunslet.

Hock signing for Newcastle doesn't fit in with a comment I was told was made on Thursday that his release was also partly due to  travelling to training being difficult because of his business commitments, unless they train in Lancs? I see you've already spotted some on Bradford's RLFans board were hoping they'd sign Moore - and at least one on there thinks they're in for 3 of this year's squad.

Archived