2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

31 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Both League Express and League Weekly (albeit via Nosey Parker's column) have stated that we are in for Brad Day and James Harrison of Batley, both of these have been rumoured on the Batley forum previously. They'd both be solid signings imo.

Parker says Hock has signed for Newcastle Thunder and Richard Moore for Hunslet.

With you missing out on top 4 and the extra money heard that Brad Day is going to Huddersfield instead.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see, though I'm quite tickled to think a SL club's recruitment depends on waiting to see which of our deals falls through...

It says in league express this morning that you are hoping to sign Harrison and Day from Batley.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:17 PM, marklaspalmas said:

OP completely re-edited as follows:

Featherstone Rovers have used 36 players this season plus Chris Ulugia who hasn't played.

9 of those were DR players from Leeds and 4 more loan signings (Turgut, Smith, Whylie, Clark)

16 Players confirmed/pending for 2019

Liam Farrell 

You've done well there MLP! ?

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

Looking through Fev's Man of the Match voting (I'll be updating the Batley and Rochdale votes ASAP), one stat sticks out like a sore thumb - Having John Davies back fully fit will be like a marquee signing!

It's obvious that he was out of sorts through most of the regular season due to his hand injury, and the best player from the previous two years was struggling to get in the side. But now he's back with a bang and should be the first name on the team sheet.

All your players will be looking elsewhere or most of them but the reality is other than going to Bradford none of them will get offered anywhere near what they are currently on and will still probably get more to simply take a cut and stay at Fev. You will be competitive once again next season I have very little doubt about that.

8 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

All your players will be looking elsewhere or most of them but the reality is other than going to Bradford none of them will get offered anywhere near what they are currently on and will still probably get more to simply take a cut and stay at Fev. You will be competitive once again next season I have very little doubt about that.

Is it just every Fev player's contract details you know about, or all players at all clubs????

On 8/26/2018 at 9:48 PM, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Hock signing for Newcastle doesn't fit in with a comment I was told was made on Thursday that his release was also partly due to  travelling to training being difficult because of his business commitments, unless they train in Lancs?

Good point, and Hock has now denied the Newcastle story on his Twitter.

10 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Is it just every Fev player's contract details you know about, or all players at all clubs????

To be fair to Blues Ox, rugby league is a fairly small world, and if you are friendly with players/officials/agents around your club you are probably going to pick up on a fair bit of gossip/news (some of which will be true and some not). In this day and age there aren't many secrets around; for instance we have signed quite a few players from Batley over the years and I can't think of any which I didn't read about first on the Batley forum

He used to have a habit of only coming on here when he thought he had some bad news, but seems a bit more balanced these days, and his statement above is probably correct, the main reason why some of our current players came to us is that we have traditionally been able to offer a bit more financially than other part-time teams so they are likely to struggle to get similar deals elsewhere.

OP updated and amended again....

Featherstone Rovers have used 36 players this season plus Chris Ulugia who hasn't played.

9 of those were DR players from Leeds and 4 more loan signings (Turgut, Smith, Whylie, Clark)

Of 24 players then, we have

16 Players confirmed/pending for 2019

Martyn Ridyard (injured) CONFIRMED

Connor Farrell

Jason Walton (injured) CONFIRMED

Anthony Thackeray

Scott Wheeldon (Injured) CONFIRMED

James Lockwood CONFIRMED

Shaun Robinson

Josh Hardcastle

Matty Wildie

Keal Carlile

Luke Cooper CONFIRMED

Brad Knowles

John Davies CONFIRMED

Sam Brooks

Danny Maskill

James Thornton ??

8 Players leaving

Luke Briscoe - Leeds (Back on DR)

Ian Hardman - Retiring

Misi Taulapapa - Retiring

Richard Moore -

Gareth Hock -

Tom Holmes - Huddersfield

Chris Ulugia - Injured

Frankie Mariano - Doncaster

New Players

Watson Boas?

Ase Boas?

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

As TPH says coupled with a bit of common sense and you usually end up with the right answer. Fev traditionally outbid Fax and others for players which suggests they have the top paid part time players in the league, the fact that they do this and usually by some distance is going to mean anyone willingly leaving Fev will either have to take a cut in wages or accept lesser wages at Fev which could still be more than they are offered at other clubs. Its not really rocket science.

33 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

As TPH says coupled with a bit of common sense and you usually end up with the right answer. Fev traditionally outbid Fax and others for players which suggests they have the top paid part time players in the league, the fact that they do this and usually by some distance is going to mean anyone willingly leaving Fev will either have to take a cut in wages or accept lesser wages at Fev which could still be more than they are offered at other clubs. Its not really rocket science.

Genuinely not an arsey question, this, but who would you consider to be the bigger club out of Fev and Fax? And by what metric would you measure it?

difference is massive just in marshal alone as a coach, he seems to get more out the players he as with no big time charlies, i would put my house on fev been in top two this season if marshall was running job, when you look at some a the quality on offer this season in fev squad even with injuries they missed far too many chances,buck stops with coach all day.

8 minutes ago, silverback said:

difference is massive just in marshal alone as a coach, he seems to get more out the players he as with no big time charlies, i would put my house on fev been in top two this season if marshall was running job, when you look at some a the quality on offer this season in fev squad even with injuries they missed far too many chances,buck stops with coach all day.

Marshall has done well this year for sure and deserves credit for making sure Fev produced one of their worst performances of the season at The Shay and in the first half at Blackpool, but when we had Ridyard and Holmes playing against Fax early in the season Marshall's coaching ability didn't count for much.

24 minutes ago, silverback said:

I don't think many would have predicted top 2 prior to the season's kick off, but certainly top 4. Agree on Marshall getting the most out of his squad, a bit like what Powell did for us. A little caveat to the finishing positions though, 1 point separating 2nd to 6th, on very small margins has this season changed from 'success' to 'failure'. It's not as if we were 18 points off the pace.

7 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

I don't think many would have predicted top 2 prior to the season's kick off, but certainly top 4. Agree on Marshall getting the most out of his squad, a bit like what Powell did for us. A little caveat to the finishing positions though, 1 point separating 2nd to 6th, on very small margins has this season changed from 'success' to 'failure'. It's not as if we were 18 points off the pace.

yep, with powell in charge you would a put some big scores up for sure and nailed a top spot, i always check in on fev board when squads up and some a the talant you have had this past few years as been super. as a batley fan i can only dream lol,i really did think you would a still made it but without those key players it was gonna be hard, i bet you still had fun in 2018 thou.

2 minutes ago, silverback said:

yep, with powell in charge you would a put some big scores up for sure and nailed a top spot, i always check in on fev board when squads up and some a the talant you have had this past few years as been super. as a batley fan i can only dream lol,i really did think you would a still made it but without those key players it was gonna be hard, i bet you still had fun in 2018 thou.

Even with Powell we bottled the big games, I am sure you can think of at least 1 that falls into that category!!

3 hours ago, hrtbps said:

Genuinely not an arsey question, this, but who would you consider to be the bigger club out of Fev and Fax? And by what metric would you measure it?

Honestly I don't really know and not really sure how you could measure it. For me we are two very similar clubs and we will hold bragging rights after this season. What do you reckon?

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Marshall has done well this year for sure and deserves credit for making sure Fev produced one of their worst performances of the season at The Shay and in the first half at Blackpool, but when we had Ridyard and Holmes playing against Fax early in the season Marshall's coaching ability didn't count for much.

Its all about opinions and if I were to choose our 3 worst performances of the season the Fev away game I would say was our 3rd worst. I had said before that game I thought the only difference in the teams would be Ridyard and my opinion didn't change after the game. Fev were obviously unlucky with injuries but we tend to start the seasons slowly and finish strongly which is exactly what happened this year so we must be doing something right in the planning.

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its all about opinions and if I were to choose our 3 worst performances of the season the Fev away game I would say was our 3rd worst. I had said before that game I thought the only difference in the teams would be Ridyard and my opinion didn't change after the game. Fev were obviously unlucky with injuries but we tend to start the seasons slowly and finish strongly which is exactly what happened this year so we must be doing something right in the planning.

Hmmm...it's all well and good wanting to finish the season strongly but the first game is as important as the last, especially when it's against probably your biggest contender for a top 4 spot; he's not a racehorse trainer giving his team three quiet runs in maidens to get them ready for a big handicap!. I'm not sure that starting the season slowly has any real correlation with finishing it strongly anyway.

Archived