2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

This is the lad i mentioned a few month ago in the fullback thread on here. Best position is fullback but a capable wing or center aswel, very quick and elusive, bit on the small side. Think he'l be an exciting player for you, id rate him not as talented as Newman but more talented than Whylie.  Good signing

Interesting that we've got him on a 1-year "permanent" deal rather than a 1-year loan like Whylie. I wonder what the ins and outs of that are. 

51 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

Interesting that we've got him on a 1-year "permanent" deal rather than a 1-year loan like Whylie. I wonder what the ins and outs of that are. 

Whylie has signed on a full contract not a loan. The only mention of loan in the report is that he is currently on loan.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rhinos-youngster-signs-for-rovers-x6Nji

Whylie, who is sponsored by Ward Hygiene Services, will join Featherstone on a one-year deal.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, Steve Slater said:

Can't see them letting Newman come on a season long loan, he could even break into their first team as the season goes on. But I can see him being at Fev early in the season until they get some injuries, which would be nice if Walton's not ready early on.

If the evil D/R continues into next season it might even work out well for Fev this time? 

When Newman was interviewed at the awards bash last night he was asked what his ambition was for next year and he said to break into the Leeds 1st team, to be honest I would have been amazed if Leeds had allowed him to come to us on a season-long loan as in six months' time he could be ready to challenge for a starting spot -  I'm not sure I wouldn't already rather have him than Ash Handley, for instance.

Duffy has confirmed we will have DR with Leeds next year btw.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

When Newman was interviewed at the awards bash last night he was asked what his ambition was for next year and he said to break into the Leeds 1st team, to be honest I would have been amazed if Leeds had allowed him to come to us on a season-long loan as in six months' time he could be ready to challenge for a starting spot -  I'm not sure I wouldn't already rather have him than Ash Handley, for instance.

Duffy has confirmed we will have DR with Leeds next year btw.

Depends if it's a genuine or an artificial (as I suspect is the case with the 2 we've signed, like the 3 a few years ago) loan. With a (genuine) season long loan it's permitted to insert clauses (or through written agreement with all parties) to terminate the loan after 29 days have passed, or you have a 28 day loan with weekly extensions. DR, of course, does remove that initial 28 day period and  allows the player to continue to train with his parent club. If signed for us on an 'artificial' loan Leeds could always re-sign him during the season........for a fee of course ;)

Like you, I would have been (happily) surprised if he'd come on a similar deal to the others.

Newman definitely has the talent but he still has a lot to learn with respect to his overall game. Besides his defence he needs to learn when to come out of the defensive line and when to stay put. His error in that respect led to Igbinedion's try on Sunday. He also gave the ball away twice in trying to score:- When he was held up over the line after a brilliant run, he lost the ball in trying to get the ball down, and in the first half he tried a kick through to the line that didn't come off. At Fev he will be forgiven because his tries far outweigh his mistakes, but Super League sides demand less errors.

A full season at Fev would do both Harry and the Rhinos a world of good, then he could go back to them in 2020 as the finished article.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I suspect that, as was the situation with Luke Briscoe, the arrangement will be that Leeds have first right of refusal on both players at the end of next year if either progress significantly enough to look like SL players.

All things Rhinos! Is it true there is a little bit of yellow sneaking into the Fev home kit next season ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I would hope we could utilise Newman next season and continue his development but im sure if not  Leeds will have another talented youngster waiting for game time.

Jack Broadbent could be one to watch next year.

4 hours ago, TJ said:

I would hope we could utilise Newman next season and continue his development but im sure if not  Leeds will have another talented youngster waiting for game time.

Jack Broadbent could be one to watch next year.

Jack broadbents an outstanding talent at center, he's a year younger than Newman, Opinions are split among Leeds fans on whos the better talent between the 2 of them. He'l be at the same stage of his career nxt season as Newman is this so he could well spend some time with you.

I personaly think Newman will play a lot of games for Featherstone nxt season. 

I’m struggling to see the statement of intent signings we have made yet ok signing young players is all well and good but on 1 .. 2 year deals ?   The PNG guys untested at this level 

ridy staying is positive but if there’s another couple of signings about I’m waiting to be impressed... 

i hope I’m wrong

2 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Keal Carlisle has signed for Newcastle Thunder for next season..May take a while for the Club to confirm it but just letting you know.

is this is true?? he played couple of games for us on duel reg while he was at hull kr few years back, liked the look of him, experianced hooker, has he done well for you guys since he joined from sheffield??

16 hours ago, painkiller said:

I’m struggling to see the statement of intent signings we have made yet ok signing young players is all well and good but on 1 .. 2 year deals ?   The PNG guys untested at this level 

ridy staying is positive but if there’s another couple of signings about I’m waiting to be impressed... 

i hope I’m wrong

Realistically though are we likely to be in a position to make "statement of intent" signings given we are going to be in the ballpark of 250k worse off than last year?

I get the impression the main aim since we didn't make the top 4 was to hang on to a nucleus of key/solid contributors - Ridyard, Davies, Farrell, Lockwood, Hardcastle, Wheeldon, Walton, Cooper etc...adding in the Boas brothers (who plenty of Championship clubs would have seen as headline signings) plus the two Batley lads who are both proven Championship players with potential to improve, then try and fill in with some cheap/young, up-and-coming types and the odd DR player here and there.

Hopefully there should be enough quality there to make us challengers for top 4. There are still a few question marks (full back, hooker and, in particular, middles) but then there will be plenty of further movement and players becoming available when the dust settles on the season and we know which clubs are in which division. Just think it would be a surprise if we are in a position to make any "statement of intent" signings, like the Ridyard/Hock ones last year.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Realistically though are we likely to be in a position to make "statement of intent" signings given we are going to be in the ballpark of 250k worse off than last year?

I get the impression the main aim since we didn't make the top 4 was to hang on to a nucleus of key/solid contributors - Ridyard, Davies, Farrell, Lockwood, Hardcastle, Wheeldon, Walton, Cooper etc...adding in the Boas brothers (who plenty of Championship clubs would have seen as headline signings) plus the two Batley lads who are both proven Championship players with potential to improve, then try and fill in with some cheap/young, up-and-coming types and the odd DR player here and there.

Hopefully there should be enough quality there to make us challengers for top 4. There are still a few question marks (full back, hooker and, in particular, middles) but then there will be plenty of further movement and players becoming available when the dust settles on the season and we know which clubs are in which division. Just think it would be a surprise if we are in a position to make any "statement of intent" signings, like the Ridyard/Hock ones last year.

Top 5 from next season now!

10 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Heard Sheffield have signed Thackeray,bloody hell if true they are well and truely spending some brass.

They certainly seem far more flush now than at any time in the last 3 or 4 years and on paper they are going to be a totally different proposition next year. I think there are a few of our players though who weren't going to get offered anything like what they were on with us, either by us or by anyone else.

Archived