Doncaster Away

Dave Naylor

It's difficult for me to comment on the the game but over the last months we have had bridge langers and nelmes in the pack. 

Backs I've liked McComb,

For me our coach should have left after the bash last year. At that point he lost the players. 

Can't look back but I am not sure that we will make the play offs

1 hour ago, tandle said:

youngyed I find it strange that you have suddenly realised that Hewitt is completely useless. I will say it again after the 4th match of last season I stated on this forum that if we did not get rid of him we would be relegated, but low and behold he is still here and disaster now awaits, never been dropped once and I don't think he as been injured once ,we have only got one scrum half on the books bl-- -dy crazy this club and i say this club loosely it is not a club it is a business with one director which is going down the pan rapido.we have played teams at our so called level eleven times won 4 lost 7 end of.

I’ve always said Hewitt is useless I totally agree with you I don’t get why he is still playing for us. There is a couple of people on this forum who thinks he’s world class but being honest I don’t think crook and Hewitt will get in waterheads team. To get into the play offs I think we’re only allowed 1 slip up from now on

6 minutes ago, FailsworthYed said:

Some cracking pics there, thanks for doing the updates on twitter dave. 

It was a toil today.  Makes it worse when it's raining and our cameras are getting wet so we're trying to keep them dry.  Then I was balancing a brolly and doing twitter too.

It gets a bit hectic!  

3 hours ago, Half man half grapefruit said:

Another painful experience watching us labour yet again against play-off rivals. For 75 turgid minutes we relied on one-man drives and a kick on the last tackle,and all we had to show was 3 Crook penalties. Midway through the first half, we should have scored in the corner,but somehow we contrived to bomb a clear overlap as Eccleston juggled with a poor pass and then failed to ground the ball properly. That would have put us 8-0 up with the conversion to come.In their next set, Doncaster scored and we found ourselves 6-4 behind.

Then, early in the second half,we force an error in their half and should have been looking to take advantage from the scrum. Instead,Langers gets involved in some argy-bargy and concedes a penalty from which they score their 2nd try. The 3rd try was also easily-avoidable,when Hooley tried to shepherd a kick dead,and allowed their winger to pounce.The 4th try was a 80 yard breakaway,after a poor Crook kick went straight to hand.

After Langers scored one of his trademark tries,we started throwing the ball about with Owen having replace Crook,who had been subbed - far too late in my opinion.Reid and Eccleston tries followed in quick succession,but it was too little too late.

We can't seem to handle pressure situations,especially when things start going against us. I'm sure they get frustrated when they can't turn good field position into points. The lack of creativity in the halves is there for all to see,with a kick often being the best option of scoring. His goal kicking apart,Crook is no better than Leatherbarrow, and Hewitt blows hot and cold.

Thank God for our forwards who have rarely took a backward step all season. If we are to have any chance in the play-offs - and it must be touch and go making the top 5 - the problem in the halves needs to be addressed immediately.

probably the best post on here after the game.

I'm at an absolute loss to work out why at 8-4 down in the 1st half, we elect to kick for goal when we should have run the ball.

One of the most disappointing aspects of the game today is that we are not getting over the gain line, unlike our opponents today, who regularly made at least 5 yards every time.

For those of you who went today, who thinks we can beat haven and Newcastle on the level of performance, because I don't. 

The half backs haven't played well for a while, our attacking line is always flat, hence the 90yard intercepted try, and why aren't our forwards running onto the ball, instead of taking it standing still.

Poor isn't it ?  

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thrilling fightback falls just short

AFTER a narrow defeat at Doncaster (26-22), Oldham are hanging on to a play-off spot in Betfred League 1 by the skin of their teeth or, to be more precise, by their superior for-and-against difference.

Read full article

'We've not won a close game all year' -- Naylor

SCOTT Naylor emphasised that Oldham hadn’t won a close game all season when reviewing his side’s 26-22 defeat at Doncaster.

Read full article

Very interesting reading Naylors comments after the match about signings and not strengthening the squad. He is definitely blaming someone but who would it be who has let him down. The thing with Naylor he’s a manager who gives up very easy when winning and doesn’t seem interested who wants that as your manager.

Re the headline 'narrow defeat' it wasn't narrow in anything but the score, if that makes sense. We were effectively beaten by a limited Doncaster side who quickly learned that if you tie up our forwards in a one dimensional slog,  then Oldham unfortunately have nothing else. Everything they got we more or less gave them through daft penalties,  knock ons and a nullifying lack of creativity near their line.  Few if any effective offloads,  rarely spread it wide,  second phase,  third phase,  I had no confidence  or belief (or evidence)  that it was going anywhere,  until the last 8 mins when we three it around and suddenly cut them to shreds, though the match was long lost.  The heart and commitment and effort was tremendous 

It's the rugby nous and as has been said many times, the inability to adapt a game plan and play to beat what's in front of you

It pains me to criticise after the effort, but all heart and not enough brain,  I'm afraid. 

Another thing, Which I forgot to say, well,  two actually 

Firstly I thought the ref was very good

was it the same bloke who was expected to give us a hard tine? The other thing bugging me is this DR issue.  We had no one. They had influential players including Masoud, who's been lighting up Hull. Why has our dual reg been a farce from beginning to end,  while others lean on it and use it to improve their results? 

Can't understand why we stoped dual reg with Huddersfield. They've got young players travelling to Workington for game time. Also some talented players in their last year at 19s who could have done a job for us.

Stats

Hooley-1 tackle. one tackle bust. one clean break. 11 carries=76m

Eccleston-8 tackles. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 12 carries=72m

McComb-20 tackles. one miss. one offload. one tackle bust. one try assist. 15 carries=94m

Reid-9 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 9 carries=51m

Kershaw-6 tackles. 3 misses. 12 carries=82m

Crook-11 tackles. one miss. one offload. 2 carries=1m

Hewitt-10 tackles. one miss. one try assist. 1 carry=7m

Joy-28 tackles. 2 misses. 20 carries=148m

Owen-13 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. one try assist. 3 carries=15m

Spencer-24 tackles. one offload. one tackle bust. 13 carries=106m

Briscoe-12 tackles. 3 misses. 7 carries=44m

Langtree-30 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. 10 carries=95m

Bent-55 tackles. one miss. 12 carries=51m

subs

Wilkinson-18 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 4 carries=38m

Nelmes-14 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 13 carries=105m

Davies-16 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 9 carries=69m

Rasool-24 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 6 carries=46m

Archived