Leigh &Mr. Beaumont.

colinb

Derek told BB this was on the cards when they were at our place

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

It just shows that if you are going to spend a lot of money you had better be sure that you are going to be successful !  The old saying is "speculate to accumulate" but if you do not "accumulate" (i.e. win) then you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle  because you have spent lots of brass without any return !!

You can tempt a player with pots of money to join you but if he doesn't put his body on the line for the cause or gel with the rest of the  team then he is no good to you !!

I wonder what the thinking will be at Featherstone if they do not make the top 4  !!

3 hours ago, nineoil said:

It just shows that if you are going to spend a lot of money you had better be sure that you are going to be successful !  The old saying is "speculate to accumulate" but if you do not "accumulate" (i.e. win) then you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle  because you have spent lots of brass without any return !!

You can tempt a player with pots of money to join you but if he doesn't put his body on the line for the cause or gel with the rest of the  team then he is no good to you !!

I wonder what the thinking will be at Featherstone if they do not make the top 4  !!

Spot on nineoil, that is one of the problems with the game currently and what really frustrates me when people are slating the club for what is essentially staying financially viable.

So many teams are spending money they do not have, chasing a dream that has not, and will never be fulfilled and there is only ever going to be one outcome. It has happened many times before and will continue to happen until clubs realise that the infrastructure and support has to come before teams can spend on the top players.

I can't help but feel that both Leigh and Featherstone will have got what they deserved if they fail to reach the top 4.

It is one of reasons I love watching Batley and admire the board, it is really frustrating at times being uncompetitive, but every year you know the club will still be here to support and we are financially doing things the right way. If every club followed the same principles, I reckon we would be a Super League club.

Wasn't there a statement by the RFL at the start of the season stating they were tightened up on the rules regarding the salary cap and more stringently monitoring it, it seems that has worked well!

Where have Leigh spent money they don't have?  As far as I am aware Beaumont has paid everything that Leigh has needed, so now he says he doesn't want to continue to do so means they will need to restructure their financial circumstances. At least he aimed for the stars even if he never reached there.

It is not sustainable though is it, one guy piling money in is not a good business model. Many clubs (including some SL clubs) are built and propped up by one person putting money in, it usually ends with the same result, the club is left in tatters once they pull out.

If clubs spent what they earned, the game would be in a much healthier position.

what makes sense is our squad at the moment is stronger than any that almost won the giants or grabbed a draw with saints, nobody been on about buying jt or billy the wizz, not about spending what you aint got like some teams seem to have done its about been able to get the best outa players like kear  wardy or harrison did, and to be fair i doff mi cap at fev for having a go and it must a been one hell of a ride for the fans and some great rugby if bits have grabbed off telly and tinternet have shown,i bet they regroup and go again while we suckup and support the everything will be ok give it time theory.if you do the same you get the same and to be fair i used to love going to fax or fev with the thoughts of a possible win and we did suit the underdog tag with some fantastic wins over the years against all the odds but thats gone for me. you couldent a paid someone to do a worse job of getting us were we are at the moment.

5 hours ago, nineoil said:

We (fev) will probably become extinct and you might be seen jumping up and down laughing your head off.????

7 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

We (fev) will probably become extinct and you might be seen jumping up and down laughing your head off.????

No way Phil, soft spot for Fev, hope alls well for you guys.

3 hours ago, Bat Lad said:

No way Phil, soft spot for Fev, hope alls well for you guys.

Yeah and 99% of Fev fans have Batley or Dewsbury as their next favourite team. The thing I don't like is that when a so called money man brings down certain clubs  i e Leigh and Bradford some people rejoice in the fact. Then some start predicting the down fall of other relatively successful teams. Its fans that suffer when money men walk away. However Fev haven't had or got the money in comparison with what Leigh have had and once again its their fans (and many are quite OK ) that have to suffer and a lot who jumped on the gravy train will now be lost to the sport once again.

1 hour ago, Phil Loxton said:

Yeah and 99% of Fev fans have Batley or Dewsbury as their next favourite team. The thing I don't like is that when a so called money man brings down certain clubs  i e Leigh and Bradford some people rejoice in the fact. Then some start predicting the down fall of other relatively successful teams. Its fans that suffer when money men walk away. However Fev haven't had or got the money in comparison with what Leigh have had and once again its their fans (and many are quite OK ) that have to suffer and a lot who jumped on the gravy train will now be lost to the sport once again.

I can't really understand why people would think Leigh are going to go the same way as Bradford. They will have to offload their higher contracted players yes, and they might even have to go part time - shock horrors ( I mean they don't want to end up struggling like Fev and Fax do they ?), but next season, they will still be one of the best funded and best supported clubs in the championship. Even without a sugar daddy, they will still have the clout to attract the best Championship players, so I am not expecting Leigh to go diddys up any time soon. The only thing that bugs me about all this is the fact that clubs like Batley and Dewsbury,  by living within their means, are doomed to mediocrity because there is no incentive or reward for solvency. Fine by me - I've long since given up the dream of SL, Santa Claus and the tooth fairy, but sad for the next generation of supporters, who have little to aspire to.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

13 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

I can't really understand why people would think Leigh are going to go the same way as Bradford.

I read somewhere they are £2 million in hock to DB. It'll be interesting to see how that gets resolved.

Totally agree with the rest of your post. Realistically what is there for Batley & Dewsbury to play for? "doomed to mediocrity" sums it up perfectly.

2 hours ago, Lone Drinker said:

I read somewhere they are £2 million in hock to DB. It'll be interesting to see how that gets resolved.

Totally agree with the rest of your post. Realistically what is there for Batley & Dewsbury to play for? "doomed to mediocrity" sums it up perfectly.

I don't believe that he is walking away entirely, just not prepared to inject £1M+ of his own money every season. Quite unreasonable, I know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I can't really understand why people would think Leigh are going to go the same way as Bradford. They will have to offload their higher contracted players yes, and they might even have to go part time - shock horrors ( I mean they don't want to end up struggling like Fev and Fax do they ?), but next season, they will still be one of the best funded and best supported clubs in the championship. Even without a sugar daddy, they will still have the clout to attract the best Championship players, so I am not expecting Leigh to go diddys up any time soon. The only thing that bugs me about all this is the fact that clubs like Batley and Dewsbury,  by living within their means, are doomed to mediocrity because there is no incentive or reward for solvency. Fine by me - I've long since given up the dream of SL, Santa Claus and the tooth fairy, but sad for the next generation of supporters, who have little to aspire to.

And during these past years whilst Mr Beaumont has been bank rolling them, their supporters have enjoyed many exciting and successful days.

….

Leeds Rhinos have signed forward Jordan Thompson from Championship side Leigh Centurions until the end of the season.

Castleford have signed Leigh Centurions full-back Peter Mata'utia.

Hull KR have re-signed full-back Craig Hall from Leigh Centurions in addition to centre Ben Crooks, with three players moving the opposite direction.

Warrington Wolves have signed forward Bodene Thompson from Championship side Leigh Centurions.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Lone Drinker said:

http://www.totalrl.com/derek-beaumont-to-leave-leigh-centurions/

He is walking away entirely, whether you believe it or not.

Yes, as this staement has now proved; I was incorrect.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

That's why kev doesn't fly into the stadium on a chopper!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Archived