Danny Bridge banned for 9 months

"Oldham player Danny Bridge has been banned for 9 months after he was found guilty of physically assaulting a match official.

Bridge, 25, was given a Grade F charge by the Rugby Football League following an incident during Oldham's 15-8 defeat by Keighley on 13 July."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44946529

So they presumably must think that this was a deliberate act, based on that? In which case, no surprises. But the report says

It is believed Bridge, a former Ireland international who has also played for Featherstone, Bradford, Rochdale and Swinton, ran in to referee Billy Pearson who then fell to the ground.

Which suggests accidental contact?

3 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

So they presumably must think that this was a deliberate act, based on that? In which case, no surprises. But the report says

Which suggests accidental contact?

He pleaded guilty and his 'submission' to the hearing:

.....Mr Bridge then told Tribunal he had watched the clip over 100 times since and is embarrassed by what had happened. He added that he had no previous disciplinary record and was not that kind of player. He thought he was getting into contact with a supporting Keighley player and when he realised it was the Referee he was surprised and asked the Referee if he was ok when running back as play continued. He again apologised for his actions and said he would like the opportunity to apologise face to face should they meet again. ....

52 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

"Oldham player Danny Bridge has been banned for 9 months after he was found guilty of physically assaulting a match official.

Bridge, 25, was given a Grade F charge by the Rugby Football League following an incident during Oldham's 15-8 defeat by Keighley on 13 July."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44946529

He's a lucky boy only getting 9 months.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He pleaded guilty and his 'submission' to the hearing:

.....Mr Bridge then told Tribunal he had watched the clip over 100 times since and is embarrassed by what had happened. He added that he had no previous disciplinary record and was not that kind of player. He thought he was getting into contact with a supporting Keighley player and when he realised it was the Referee he was surprised and asked the Referee if he was ok when running back as play continued. He again apologised for his actions and said he would like the opportunity to apologise face to face should they meet again. ....

He thought he was hitting a Keighley player but was surprised when it turned out to be the ref ?

Back in the day this would have been an automatic sine die ban. From watching the video I don't see why this should have been any different.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

He thought he was hitting a Keighley player but was surprised when it turned out to be the ref ?

Best excuse ever.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just seems very strange. Mind you, unless it's the camera, the lighting looks very bad there which may lend some weight to his 'thought it was an Keighley player' argument which even if it was would still result in a ban.

25 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Just seems very strange. Mind you, unless it's the camera, the lighting looks very bad there which may lend some weight to his 'thought it was an Oldham player' argument which even if it was would still result in a ban.

If I had a £1 for every time I'd seen a supporting player held up in back play by a defender I'd be a pretty rich man.

15 hours ago, tim2 said:

Best excuse ever.

Just a bit. I've watched the video several times, and, to be honest, it doesn't look all that clever no matter how many times I try to work out what the hell he was trying to do.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

1 hour ago, robt said:

Just a bit. I've watched the video several times, and, to be honest, it doesn't look all that clever no matter how many times I try to work out what the hell he was trying to do.

The best case scenario for him  - he thinks it's an opponent and tries to grab him to hold him back and mistimes it. Refs, whilst fit, are physically not in the same league as a pro RL player and he certainly would have not expected it. Hence any contact, let alone an effective clotheslining, would have felled any ref running to catch up with the break.

I can probably accept it was not a deliberate attack on a ref but it was pretty dumb and he has to take the responsibility and the consequences, because anything else would mean open season for any aggrieved player to "accidentally" flatten a ref.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I've watched the small clip a few times and perhaps it's all the years of watching hockey and American football but a ref accidentally being taken out when they get in the middle of a play isn't uncommon and I'm inclined to believe it was accidental based on the short clip I've seen. If there's a better clip that more clearly shows some intent, I'd be happy to revise my opinion on that. 

Here's a video that show some accidental hits and one or two targeted hits on refs in American football for an example of what I mean about refs caught in plays:

I’d hope there’s better video evidence than the clip I seen for that length of ban . Hard to clearly make a definitive judgment but that certainly is hefty . We’ve seen SL refs knocked about with a few games the consequence 

55 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’d hope there’s better video evidence than the clip I seen for that length of ban . Hard to clearly make a definitive judgment but that certainly is hefty . We’ve seen SL refs knocked about with a few games the consequence 

We haven't seen the TJ or other official reports as to what they may have seen.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

He pleaded guilty.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

22 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't understand that. He was a credit to the game in the time he was at Hornets. Just not his style at all, he wasn't a particularly aggressive player.

I’d probably agree. Ironically if he was an aggressive player, he probably would’ve made it at the top level, as he’s certainly got the size. 

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his excuse as it could well be genuine. 9 months does seem harsh to me, but understandable. Didn’t Hock get away with much less punishment for his contact on a ref? 

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’d probably agree. Ironically if he was an aggressive player, he probably would’ve made it at the top level, as he’s certainly got the size. 

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his excuse as it could well be genuine. 9 months does seem harsh to me, but understandable. Didn’t Hock get away with much less punishment for his contact on a ref? 

I always thought that what he needed to be a top class player was a bit of a nasty streak. You can't put it there though, you are either a nasty sort or you aren't. I'm a nice bloke but in the old days once I crossed over the white line I was a different person. Football though, I was never tough enough for Rugby League.

I read his statement and I feel so sorry for the lad. He's a genuine guy and I wish him all the best.

Calls for a life ban are well OTT, 9 months is about right as it takes into account that it isn't the start of the season so will be in effect up to end of April next year (if ban takes immediate effect).

The contact around the neck area is why this is such a relatively high tariff, compare that to the GBH by Ben Flower which IMHO should have seen a 12-18 month ban and a bit of prison time too. The action in this case IS deliberate, it's not coincidental or due to someone else pushing him that causes contact, he's deliberately thrown his arm out with no thought for safety of a player never mind an official.  

He should never play the game again, a sickening and Cowardly attack on a ref that had no way of defending himself. The police should also be involved, just because it was on a sports field shouldn't make him immune. 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

He should never play the game again, a sickening and Cowardly attack on a ref that had no way of defending himself. The police should also be involved, just because it was on a sports field shouldn't make him immune. 

How about bringing back hanging for such serious crimes ? 

22 hours ago, The Canuck said:

I've watched the small clip a few times and perhaps it's all the years of watching hockey and American football but a ref accidentally being taken out when they get in the middle of a play isn't uncommon and I'm inclined to believe it was accidental based on the short clip I've seen. If there's a better clip that more clearly shows some intent, I'd be happy to revise my opinion on that. 

Here's a video that show some accidental hits and one or two targeted hits on refs in American football for an example of what I mean about refs caught in plays:

One from the NRL. The ref is knocked out cold.

Archived