Hull and District Youth to be taken over by the Hull Pro Clubs?

I have been told with the backing of the RFL that the Hull Youth league has been approached by the Hull Professional clubs for them to run it. It appears the Pro clubs are disappointed by the players playing the game which ultimately effects them and they obviously think they can do a better job. 

I think the disappointment is the fact some of the stalwarts that were behind the original push for Youth rugby from its launch to its heights in the 80/90s have been excluded. Some people say it’s time for a new broom but this has already happened with new blood in recent years they followed directions from the RFL to the letter of the law and the league is still in a mess with only 10 clubs left and I would say 1 or 2 that have all age groups

I have been told there is a meeting tonight so any updates may be of interest to other leagues.

Will it be an improvement on things now?

When I used to take my 16s and 18s sides to hull we always got beat off the likes of skirlaugh and west hull they always seemed to miles ahead in their development than most of the west Yorkshire sides so what's happened in Hull where the pro clubs are saying it's not good enough

Have the Numbers of players dropped off? Local top coaches packed in? 

Seems crazy after all these years where the players have been good enough that they're now not good enough.

Numbers have dropped off dramatically, there are 4 U18 and 6 U16 (and remember the U17 merged with the 18) teams in Hull,  2 of the U16 supporting teams with no open age with some of these having played only 5 games.

Neither Myton, Beverley or East Hull have either so looking at that, there is the City of Hull wanting players, next years U19s and 5 NCL teams there is also the local Open age and low and behold the Pro clubs are looking at re-introducing reserve grade so where are the players going to come from to sustain this. 

I think Statistics say less than 2% make the grade so less players means less to choose from and ultimately quality will suffer.

Archived