Community Conference Rumour

9 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Nothing convenient about it. You stated something which was untrue and we're given evidence of that. In addition to that list there have been other young lads who've broke through this year and played in the first team. Cameron Stewart who is from Leicester and made his debut against Keighley is a good example. The Bears are very much about developing Midlands based players rather than being reliant on northern players. 

The Bears have a junior set up still (70+ kids were turning up every week in the last few months) and also 13-16s training. The Bears haven't had a 2nd team in last couple of years (agreement with Dragons was an option to fill the gap) but I understand there are plans to resurrect it. The problem is where a Bears reserves fit in to get them playing to get enough games and at a high enough standard to be able to progress into league one. 

Have you not thought about getting the reserves to play in winter? That would solve all the problems 

20 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Harry Kaufman and Dan Gover both played for Dragons last year didn't they? 

What is convenient, knowing players and where they were born? 

Convenient in over looking the rest of the squad but I suppose you don't bite the hand that pays you.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Have you not thought about getting the reserves to play in winter? That would solve all the problems 

Not sure that would be practical as reserves is to keep players fit during season and get young players ready for the first team. Also the Bears share a stadium where Rugby Union and Football are both played in the winter. 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Not sure that would be practical as reserves is to keep players fit during season and get young players ready for the first team. Also the Bears share a stadium where Rugby Union and Football are both played in the winter. 

It was joke mate......................as some seem to think winter is the solution to all problems and how much better that game was/would be if played in winter

On 7/31/2018 at 8:36 AM, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Theres nobody from either club playing for Cov Bears.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:41 PM, OriginalMrC said:

Not true at all, the Bears have been supportive to both clubs. Some Bears players have made appearances for the Dragons and there was an agreement in place for between the clubs for this year. If a Dragons player was good enough they'd have had a chance to play in league one but equally Bears fringe players would have had a chance to get game time at the Dragons. 

I'm not criticising Coventry Bears.  However, late last year and earlier this year, clubs in London & South East region were cajoled, prodded and maybe even bullied into adopting a structure that would allow the absorption of Coventry Dragons and Northampton Demons.  A month before the start of the season, Coventry dropped out and Northampton followed them about two weeks into the season.  A player numbers crisis was amongst the listed reasons and some even mentioned the Bears' more local recruitment.

All I want to know is, who was lying to the rest of us and what was the real reason?  You even see the "I can't believe what the RFL did to us" posts on Facebook with no clarification.

25 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

I'm not criticising Coventry Bears.  However, late last year and earlier this year, clubs in London & South East region were cajoled, prodded and maybe even bullied into adopting a structure that would allow the absorption of Coventry Dragons and Northampton Demons.  A month before the start of the season, Coventry dropped out and Northampton followed them about two weeks into the season.  A player numbers crisis was amongst the listed reasons and some even mentioned the Bears' more local recruitment.

All I want to know is, who was lying to the rest of us and what was the real reason?  You even see the "I can't believe what the RFL did to us" posts on Facebook with no clarification.

I'll be honest I don't know the workings of either Dragons or Northampton or the reasons they were unable to fulfill fixtures.. All I know if that Bears did not strip players from either club. Dan Gover signed for Bears this year but had already played for Bears last year. Harry Kaufman also joined and is now playing with Philadelphia fight in the states. I am sure it is easy to point the finger at the Bears but I am pretty certain Bears signing these two players was not a factor particularly since there was an agreement with Dragons to give them fringe players (some of whom had already played for Dragons in pre season). 

2 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

The no clarification bit is the giveaway.

It's become incredibly frustrating to me.  The RFL is so opaque and that opacity trickles down and it all becomes about rumour and innuendo.  The level of smack-talk and, double-speak is now at the point where it feels as though everybody is now in the wrong.  The finger cannot be solely pointed at the RFL for this.  Most frustratingly is when clubs meet to brainstorm and there's been a discussion had before the meeting to decide what would happen.

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

What makes you think this? 

I was told by somebody that something was afoot but they weren't sure exactly what it is because it's in a very early stage.

• 3 weeks later...

About those resources and pots of money the RFL should redeploy to the heartlands -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

They actually have one employee in London!?!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

EDIT: And they did this before.  They closed everything and told people to work from home in 2013/2014.  As I've said before - here and other places - clubs and volunteers need to fill the void.  Start it with an independent chairman.  There has to be somebody within the nearly 19m people who live in London or an adjacent county that would put their hand up and get involved.  SURELY?

We need to get away from this idea first and foremost.  Reserve teams further down the pyramid have consistently done no favours for anybody.  If you're in a league like the London League, reserves should be in the entry league with new teams and teams that don't have their act together.  Unfortunately, reserve teams are treated as such.  I think Skolars A had one or two decent seasons, Hemel had one brilliant one in the East and then complained it was too easy.  How can you expect teams that can't be consistent 

If you want a league with a "few strong ambitious community clubs", you need those clubs to be first teams and there needs to be some element of funding.  Even if it's just coach travel to away grounds, it's an unimaginatively massive footprint.  Even if you said "no Wales, no South West", it's still massive.

40 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

We need to get away from this idea first and foremost.  Reserve teams further down the pyramid have consistently done no favours for anybody.  If you're in a league like the London League, reserves should be in the entry league with new teams and teams that don't have their act together.  Unfortunately, reserve teams are treated as such.  I think Skolars A had one or two decent seasons, Hemel had one brilliant one in the East and then complained it was too easy.  How can you expect teams that can't be consistent 

If you want a league with a "few strong ambitious community clubs", you need those clubs to be first teams and there needs to be some element of funding.  Even if it's just coach travel to away grounds, it's an unimaginatively massive footprint.  Even if you said "no Wales, no South West", it's still massive.

I meant first teams of the community clubs playing against the league one reserve teams

3 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I meant first teams of the community clubs playing against the league one reserve teams

I understood what you meant perfectly,  And by asking that question, you clearly haven't been paying attention to what has happened thus when these teams play in amateur leagues.  It has happened in the past.  They're either too strong and dominate or they're too flaky and ruin it for everybody else.  Strangely, more likely the latter.

5 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Doesn’t happen often ;) but I 100% agree with you! Well said!

Archived