Are any Super League Clubs rich?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That clubs in SL would struggle without Sky is one of the silliest bad faith arguments.

You might as well argue to take out ticket sales or sponsorship or hospitality sales or merchandise sales.

Selling tv rights is one of the activities of being an Super league club.

Completely agree, irritates me when people say pro RL wouldn't survive without Sky. It's like saying it wouldn't survive if there was free admission, food, drink, parking, merchandise and a programme for everyone who attended.

No sports club operates to be rich and make money unless you have very unscrupulous owners, for example some of the alleged activities involving Blackpool Football Club and the Oyston's. Most would only aim to break even or turn a slight profit.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are there many rich sports clubs in the world?

Even some of the 'richest don't have money sat in the bank necessarily.

The Canberra Raiders parent body does quite well. This is from 2012.. turnovers have probably increased since then.. it’s all from this article: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/corporate-raiders-20120502-1xzpx.html

45DFC9F8-9FC9-4D6E-80B5-3F1BEA1A424A.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Man Utd profit of about £80m per year on revenue of about £600m per year.

Plenty of sports clubs are operated purely as business - NFL franchises being an obvious example.

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

Man Utd profit of about £80m per year on revenue of about £600m per year.

Plenty of sports clubs are operated purely as business - NFL franchises being an obvious example.

They do however have c£0.5bn of debt. Perfectly serviceable and not an issue, but the definition of a club being rich is a difficult one.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They do however have c£0.5bn of debt. Perfectly serviceable and not an issue, but the definition of a club being rich is a difficult one.

Toronto is fully self funding...it has many resources....

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Sorry what? The club turnover fully funds the entire club operation?

Correct, plus they will probably make a tidy profit this year. 

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That would surprise me this early. Where do you get that information?

I expect them to be profitable in the medium term, but I doubt they are bringing in more than they are spending at this point.

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I think a better question is are which clubs are sustainable? Probably Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Hull and Warrington. 

If you are talking sustainability rather than richness, then I suspect that you could add Catalans Dragons to the SL clubs you mention.

Hemel are a surprise on the sustainability front.

They own their own ground which has a pub license, so is open 7 nights a week, and have a 200 capacity function room for weddings, conferences, etc. which is booked up a year in advance.

Does that make them rich? It makes them a sustainable business, even if nobody ever pays to watch them.

If your costs are lower than your revenue then you are doing OK.

EDIT: Just noticed this is SL specific...

3 hours ago, dixiedean said:

They own their own ground which has a pub license, so is open 7 nights a week, and have a 200 capacity function room for weddings, conferences, etc. which is booked up a year in advance.

Does that make them rich? It makes them a sustainable business, even if nobody ever pays to watch them.

The precise wording of the thread title notwithstanding, these are excellent points, DD, and a reminder that sustainability may well be most likely when developed from the bottom up over time.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Yep, I’m like John WP, I am happy to be corrected, but I find it unfathomable that TWP are currently earning more than they are spending.

Do you know more about their contracted incomes and sponsorships you can tell us about Kman? I would be extremely impressed if that fully funds logistics, player contracts, staff salaries and all other expenses the club has.

12 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Rich - None

Profitable - Leeds and a couple of others

Surviving - About 15

Basket cases - All the rest

I include all Pro teams in the pyramid, Rugby League doesn't stop at 12th in Super League.

If RL doesn't stop at 12th in SL how do you know other clubs arnt profitable? 

Catalan for example are very profitable, hull also.

I thought the likes of Newcastle were set up to break even, 

There are many profitable amateur clubs also

Unless you look at the finances of the clubs you are clearly speculating

6 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Yes it annoys me when people look at crowd figures and presume that's the main source of income! And then continue to bash clubs as unsustainable and badly ran.

Sponsorship and other revenue streams are equally important as is the tv deals and prize money!

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Dave T said:

For sure. Dallas Cowboys are worth 4.8 Billion, Manchester United 4.1, Real Madrid 4. 

Now in terms of RL clubs I didn't mean that much money of course. I meant like 30 million + 

The Brisbane Broncos made 42 million last year. Id consider them a rich rugby league club. 

Everyone seems to be going broke in Super League, I was wondering if any clubs were doing well. 

3 minutes ago, B rad said:

For sure. Dallas Cowboys are worth 4.8 Billion, Manchester United 4.1, Real Madrid 4. 

Now in terms of RL clubs I didn't mean that much money of course. I meant like 30 million + 

The Brisbane Broncos made 42 million last year. Id consider them a rich rugby league club. 

Everyone seems to be going broke in Super League, I was wondering if any clubs were doing well. 

What do you mean Brisbane Broncos mad 42 million?

Archived