SKY Robots

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As ever in RL we need to make sure minor dislikes aren't portrayed as the biggest issue in the world.

Good luck with that!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

As ever in RL we need to make sure minor dislikes aren't portrayed as the biggest issue in the world.

Nice. 

Not playing the ball with the foot / too many water carriers / dodgy opening credits / non-automatic promotion and relegation are making our sport a laughing stock.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes Sky robot intro is not the biggest issue but it reflects a wider problem with the marketing & presentation of the sport!  An opportunity exists to promote players & the game which happens before every game & replay of game 100's of times per year.

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

It’s outdated . And that robot is blatantly going into touch , then from the other camera is diving in for a try ... poor stuff . Put them out for recycling with baz tez and Stuart ( who enlightened us last night with ‘he must keep possession and get his hand down on the ground ‘ )

Haha. Glad you said about it going into touch, thats what I always think. On one angle you think that at best he is going to have to attempt an acrobatic finish, then on the last angle he is strolling over with 10 metres to spare and no defender near him.

By my reckoning we must have had it since 2010. The first year the music was "That Golden Rule" by Biffy Clyro, which came out in 2009. Then they changed to the current music which they have kept since. It was terrible then. The entire programme is long overdue a facelift.

16 hours ago, meast said:

My mum isn't a big fan, but she's started attending games with us now, and despite this, she knows the music SKY use for tries, having heard it 25 years ago when we were all still living at home and couldn't believe they were still using it!

Edrenalin. Absolute banger

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As for showing actual players, a lot of sports intros avoid that, so they don't have to re-edit every year as notable players retire or move on elsewhere. Also, in sports where kit designs and/or sponsors change, a montage can look out-of-date very quickly. The BBC had to get rid of an expensive-looking opening sequence for Athletics when Usain Bolt retired, and MotoGP on BT Sport has stylised animations instead of actual riders. I can understand why they do it, even if it isn't my preferred style.

But you do need to refresh your graphics every few years and the robots have long outstayed their welcome. I didn't dislike it when it first appeared, but it has been old hat for a few years now.

Edit

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Sky have this beautiful advert for the NRL. They licenced Back in Black by AC DC. Josh Addo Carr defies gravity to score in the corner. 

We get crappy faceless robots and music that sounds like background music. Shows SKy see SL as filler. 

I would think something rock music based (welcome to the jungle will cost too much.... Marliyn Manson beautiful people is good) and a intro of breakaway tries, bone jarring hits and a last min drop goal would work. 

Gigot, BMM, Gale, Conor, Tomkins, Grace, Barba, Fifita, Clubb, Escare, you could easily cut a intro around those lot and their highlight plays.

Sky probably feel the audience will watch anyway so why spend on it... 

6 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Sky have this beautiful advert for the NRL. They licenced Back in Black by AC DC. Josh Addo Carr defies gravity to score in the corner. 

We get crappy faceless robots and music that sounds like background music. Shows SKy see SL as filler. 

I would think something rock music based (welcome to the jungle will cost too much.... Marliyn Manson beautiful people is good) and a intro of breakaway tries, bone jarring hits and a last min drop goal would work. 

Gigot, BMM, Gale, Conor, Tomkins, Grace, Barba, Fifita, Clubb, Escare, you could easily cut a intro around those lot and their highlight plays.

Sky probably feel the audience will watch anyway so why spend on it... 

These are two ads from Australia this year.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Amazing Adverts. The second one in particular. One of the best Ads ive seen in years. Makes the NRL look like a tool of Integration within society in NSW and a good one at that. 

RL in the uk dosent have the same popularity but you could still do a bloody good advert with hard hits, references to heritage, the north, the kids who watch and the passion and skill. 

Geez I had not seen the 2018 NRL Ad before. NRL really needs faceless animated robots. With a one cord guitar riff put through a toy amp with a cheap distortion effect! What about this tune with sporting references and never giving up lyrics. This Manchester artist known as the king of the North. Picture scenes of players training in run down industrial cites, pit towns and council estates in the North. in all kind of bad weather and then end running out onto a packed Old Trafford for the Super League Grand Final.... Elstone & the marketing people at Sky it's OK your welcome!

Are the BBC still using the cartoon rugby league players to promote / introduce the Challenge Cup & Internationals?  They must be five or six year old as well.  Both Sky and Beeb could do with giving their RL 'intros' an update.

14 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Are the BBC still using the cartoon rugby league players to promote / introduce the Challenge Cup & Internationals?  They must be five or six year old as well.  Both Sky and Beeb could do with giving their RL 'intros' an update.

Yes the BBC are still using the animations, and for the SLS too.

That'll probably remain the same for a while yet, being the Beeb.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a know fact that SL would have a hard tie selling water to a man dying of dehydration in teh desert after they did their sales pitch...that's their marketing ability. I have high hopes that this will be high on Elstones criteria for next year as he tries and pretty up SL for any potential suitors come the next TV deal. Does SL have multiple angles of the play that they can use for a high quality advert or is it mostly ######? I noticed that the CC game we had vs Warrington was of much higher quality that what we've seen in our recordings of League 1 and Champ games.

2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

It's a know fact that SL would have a hard tie selling water to a man dying of dehydration in teh desert after they did their sales pitch...that's their marketing ability. I have high hopes that this will be high on Elstones criteria for next year as he tries and pretty up SL for any potential suitors come the next TV deal. Does SL have multiple angles of the play that they can use for a high quality advert or is it mostly ######? I noticed that the CC game we had vs Warrington was of much higher quality that what we've seen in our recordings of League 1 and Champ games.

If it is shown on the BBC or Sky, they shoot in high definition. I've had an HDTV for less than a year, and even on a modest-sized screen (mine is a 32" TV), standard definition is horribly obvious, and not just with sport. God knows how bad SD looks when blown up for those really gigantic screens.

As for multiple angles, you only get that with the games that were televised live. With the other games that you see a few seconds of on highlights programmes, you'll notice that it isn't a full production job, as they have a limited number of cameras for those.

Freesports TV (who cover the NCL and repeat shows of Wolfpack games) are hosted on an HD frequency group, but broadcast very much in SD... and not particularly good SD either.

I don't know what Premier Sports' AV quality is like on various different platforms, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Premier sports camera work is poor. Sky's and BBCs is okay. NRLs is excellent. 

I find it hard to watch twp on Premier as the camera work is so bad. 

Why do they keep focusing on the empty swathes of concrete stand rather than the crowds?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

2 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Why do they keep focusing on the empty swathes of concrete stand rather than the crowds?

everyone sits on the other side as its out of the sun. the designated away section is on that side also because we know you guys can use all the vitamin D you can get :biggrin:

I have always viewed Sky's involvement with RL hard to fathom. It's like they keep the RL rights to either stop others getting them or out of obligation to be seen as being fair to a minority sport. Otherwise I struggle to understand why so few games are shown and things like the presentation they have on TV is not kept fresh. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived