I felt optimistic

A few months ago it felt like we were actually getting many good news stories coming out about RL that seemed feasible; now we are in the mire again it seems? Clubs nearly folding the RFL losing 2 million , the underwhelming appointment of Mr Rimmer (where is your mission statement Ralph?) and we seem to have Mr Elstone shooting from the hip and talking about spurious expansion teams(Toronto)

I much preferred the positive stuff , I’m nearing the end with RL ; I can’t see a way forward for the game at the moment but I hoped to be proved wrong!

maybe I’m working on the glass half full theory?

Concentrate on what happens on the pitch and ignore the politics. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

If only that was possible, the two are linked very much together 

I know loads of people who follow the game and don't have a clue what is going on at the RFL or care.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

I know loads of people who follow the game and don't have a clue what is going on at the RFL or care.

Unfortunately they run our game and if they are just allowed to run it off a cliff whilst picking up a wage and without  checks and balances in place there may well be no serious game to follow

What Elstone says and does with SL are 2 different things, we dont know what is going on behind the scenes, I am happy to give him a chance. Having said that, I've followed and supported the game at all levels constantly for 35 years and invested many thousands of pounds in it. If Toronto qualify for SL and my club (Wigan) oppose their inclusion then I will have to look very seriously about my future commitment to them. This is RL though, I've seen it all before and am sure it'll all turn out ok in the end.

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Some of those folk even manage to become leaders. Guaranteed pathway to the top job at the RFL.

Just now, iangidds said:

Unfortunately they run our game and if they are just allowed to run it off a cliff whilst picking up a wage and without  checks and balances in place there may well be no serious game to follow

But you are worrying about something you cannot change, worry about stuff you can change and change it let the rest run its course.

I was quite shocked by the £2 million RFL loss though and Woods getting a pay off before walking into a cushy job that's just as well paid, that was very bad. They have been 2 lows for me this year, along with the NRL Denver test sabotage attempts.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Some of those folk even manage to become leaders at the RFL.

Surely not ?

Just now, Padge said:

But you are worrying about something you cannot change, worry about stuff you can change and change it let the rest run its course.

I understand that , it hurts Padge though! We all wanted the best for our sport

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

I understand that , it hurts Padge though! We all wanted the best for our sport

We do, its frustrating but if you can't change it don't let it eat you up. Watch a game and enjoy what you see.

4 minutes ago, iangidds said:

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

There is something in this. I don't get involved in certain conversations on here now because it is depressing and a waste of energy.

It is quite possible to be an RL fan and enjoy going to the match each week, watching 2 SL games on Sky, watch 3 NRL games, an NCL game plus backchat and rugby AM on FreeSports. Go to the Challenge Cup double header, head to Wembley, Old Trafford watch amazing rugby in great grounds. Then to top it off head to Leeds, Hull and Liverpool for some world class internationals vs the Kiwis.

There is plenty to enjoy out there.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

There is something in this. I don't get involved in certain conversations on here now because it is depressing and a waste of energy.

It is quite possible to be an RL fan and enjoy going to the match each week, watching 2 SL games on Sky, watch 3 NRL games, an NCL game plus backchat and rugby AM on FreeSports. Go to the Challenge Cup double header, head to Wembley, Old Trafford watch amazing rugby in great grounds. Then to top it off head to Leeds, Hull and Liverpool for some world class internationals vs the Kiwis.

There is plenty to enjoy out there.

Well said , I hope as many people can view things that way... I do tend to sweat the small stuff(which is big for me)

4 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Well said , I hope as many people can view things that way... I do tend to sweat the small stuff(which is big for me)

I think many of us do on here mate, it's that type of forum and plenty of us are interested in the detail, strategies, financial reports and even email campaigns!

I don't think we are 100% normal though!!!

17 minutes ago, iangidds said:

A few months ago it felt like we were actually getting many good news stories coming out about RL that seemed feasible; now we are in the mire again it seems? Clubs nearly folding the RFL losing 2 million , the underwhelming appointment of Mr Rimmer (where is your mission statement Ralph?) and we seem to have Mr Elstone shooting from the hip and talking about spurious expansion teams(Toronto)

I much preferred the positive stuff , I’m nearing the end with RL ; I can’t see a way forward for the game at the moment but I hoped to be proved wrong!

maybe I’m working on the glass half full theory?

Over the many years clubs have often folded or come near to collapse. Why such a big downer on today's than yesterdays. 

Depends on why the loss, need to see the accounts to fully understand.

Have never agreed with mission statements which are often something spent hours or days over and doesn't ever guide the business. Although agree that I would have rather have someone other than Rimmer - why I have no idea as I have never discussed anything with him... maybe because of the moaning on here.

Elstone and Toronto -  to me he is raising questions that should have been considered before this stage. It seems more about the direction of travel and how to sustain that direction or whether its the direction SL want to go.  I think Toronto is great but it does seem to have had no real thought about expansion direction and how its best sustainable supported.  I think its come too far to affect Toronto but it should raise questions and hence what direction. We should be moaning that SL clubs didn't do this prior to Elstone but at least somebody is asking the questions now.

As somebody says focus on the game on the park as to be honest we otherwise have no idea what the intentions, thoughts or beliefs are of the individuals leading the game. Whatever they do a good size section will complain. Its easy to get carried along by that sustained moaning.

Just now, meast said:

Well, Giants and Dragons have gone from bottom to top 4 contenders, surely that's something to be positive about :)

That’s certainly good news for their fans for sure

Just now, meast said:

But not for the game? where teams that are rock bottom can suddenly turn it around and not just survive but push for glory?

Of course very good for the game , I want every team to be a success; just worry about the current state of many clubs

22 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Of course very good for the game , I want every team to be a success; just worry about the current state of many clubs

Clubs have been teetering on the brink for over 120 years, it isn't going to change anytime soon, if ever.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I think many of us do on here mate, it's that type of forum and plenty of us are interested in the detail, strategies, financial reports and even email campaigns!

True. There's no mugs at the RFL either.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

You spayke for thee sen David. I'm as "normal" as it's possible to be.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived