I felt optimistic

5 hours ago, Padge said:

I know loads of people who follow the game and don't have a clue what is going on at the RFL or care.

I know loads who have followed the game for years and don't have a clue what is going on on the pitch either.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't think you even qualify as 50% normal...

Isn't 50% the norm?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

Clubs have been teetering on the brink for over 120 years, it isn't going to change anytime soon, if ever.

It won't change unless a way is found to raise the game's profile and make it much more appealing to a broader part of the public.

I've been a fan for nearly forty years, and for most of that time we've been described as a dying sport. Well we're still here.  I've seen 4 up 4 down, 3up3down,etc, 2divisions3, back to 2 back to 3. One thing about RL, there's always summat to talk about, and moan about. Just enjoy the ride.

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

What Elstone says and does with SL are 2 different things, we dont know what is going on behind the scenes, I am happy to give him a chance. Having said that, I've followed and supported the game at all levels constantly for 35 years and invested many thousands of pounds in it. If Toronto qualify for SL and my club (Wigan) oppose their inclusion then I will have to look very seriously about my future commitment to them. This is RL though, I've seen it all before and am sure it'll all turn out ok in the end.

feel the same way myself if the super league clubs block toronto i feel i may just throw in the towel.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 minute ago, doc said:

I've been a fan for nearly forty years, and for most of that time we've been described as a dying sport. Well we're still here.  I've seen 4 up 4 down, 3up3down,etc, 2divisions3, back to 2 back to 3. One thing about RL, there's always summat to talk about, and moan about. Just enjoy the ride.

That's because we concentrate too much on structure and not enough on money.

If we put as much effort into raising money as we do in thinking how to make the league structures more complicated than they need to be to make it 'interestin' then we would be quids in.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 minutes ago, doc said:

According to some, the game's been dying since 1895, newbie! :wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I know loads who have followed the game for years and don't have a clue what is going on on the pitch either.

Indeed.

But enough about the officials, what about the fans...? ?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I couldn’t be more normal unless my name was Norman Normal of Normal Street, Normaltown, Normalshire.

well...come on, DP, the suspense is killing...is it?

8 hours ago, Padge said:

Clubs have been teetering on the brink for over 120 years, it isn't going to change anytime soon, if ever.

What you remind us, Padge, is that teetering on the brink is one of the game's fine old traditions!

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

There is something in this. I don't get involved in certain conversations on here now because it is depressing and a waste of energy.

It is quite possible to be an RL fan and enjoy going to the match each week, watching 2 SL games on Sky, watch 3 NRL games, an NCL game plus backchat and rugby AM on FreeSports. Go to the Challenge Cup double header, head to Wembley, Old Trafford watch amazing rugby in great grounds. Then to top it off head to Leeds, Hull and Liverpool for some world class internationals vs the Kiwis.

There is plenty to enjoy out there.

Hi Dave, don't want to waste your energy, but aren't you forgetting 60% of RL happens outside of your examples? You are right there is plenty to enjoy, but you don't build the foundations from Old Trafford downwards. 

41 minutes ago, TMF said:

Hi Dave, don't want to waste your energy, but aren't you forgetting 60% of RL happens outside of your examples? You are right there is plenty to enjoy, but you don't build the foundations from Old Trafford downwards. 

99% of money comes from OT downwards.

Just now, Padge said:

99% of money comes from OT downwards.

You joking? Tell that to.......oh forget it.

55 minutes ago, TMF said:

Not a clue what you're banging on about.

What is missing of my list for an RL fan that offends you?

Well we have witnessed some amazing games on sky the last month with games in the balance into the eightieth minute. Games that produce everything you can hope for especially televised matches. So inspite of the politics off the field the players produce on the field. 

There's a real juxtaposition in the way the game stands at the moment which makes me equal parts nervous and excited.  The positives: Stronger lower league clubs, expansion clubs Toronto, Toulouse; progressive heartlands clubs York, Fax, Fev, England's strength on the pitch.  The negatives: RFL leadership (real bad problem for me), Sky Sports, uncertain financial future, playing numbers, more structure changes, fairly poor standard of Super League on the pitch.   It's hard to know what to feel about the game in the northern hemisphere and our future.

Archived