RLIF Singapore Meeting

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Except the NRL have left the RLIF high and dry so unable to fund the arranging of these fixtures

It's not for the RLIF to fund or arrange these fixtures that's why!

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

It's not for the RLIF to fund or arrange these fixtures that's why!

It's not to arrange, but to help fund............these nations aren't going to fund it themselves as they can't afford to. That's why the 4 Nations was a good concept

They do get funding from the RLIF..

The only money the RLIF got from the 4 nations,which was owned by the RFL,NZRL & ARLC was a 10% gate levy on attendances...now the RLIF have a world 9s where they'll be able to keep ALL the revenue..ticket sales,sponsorships,TV sales....everything..

Which means they'll be able to dish out bigger funding grants to its member nations.

OLDHAM RLFC

43 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

My first reaction, when I read the headline, was that this was looking like an attempted power-grab by Wood. If he can get the voting rights of the three major bodies significantly diluted, and buy favour with the smaller bodies, all the more chance of him staying in power until he finally decides to bog off.

That would appear to be the view of certain unnamed SL and NRL chairman too

In todays League Weekly

The review is not about improving the governance of the RLIF. It is about entrenching John Bishop and John Grant, and reducing the accountability of Nigel as CEO. It is the same tactics that Nigel used to almost destroy the UK game

Not pulling any punches there! It comes across as depressingly similar to the tactics used by Sepp Blatter to cling to power at FIFA for so long!

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Acceptable to who? So it's OK for England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales to select Australian heritage players but it's deemed unacceptable for GB to do the same! How does that work?

The fans....Aussie's turning out in GB chevrons... No thanks

And it's not OK they turn out for England....what the other nations do is their business

OLDHAM RLFC

9 minutes ago, interchangeofficial said:

The idea that N Wood still has input and influence over such important aspects of our game is rather disappointing

Both Wood and the cricket guy are dinosaurs who want the sport to be like it was in the "good old days" when there were only 5 countries playing the game and they don't have the ideas to take it forward. We need someone like Perez or someone from North America running the RLIF, who have the vision to take the international game forward. 

5 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

And it's not OK they turn out for England....what the other nations do is their business

As you say its up to the Players and those Nations what they do but I would like it if there was NO Nation changing.

Nominate, play a Test and that is your Nation full stop with no changes. Nation changing makes a mockery of Test matches and has done for a long time.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Both Wood and the cricket guy are dinosaurs who want the sport to be like it was in the "good old days" when there were only 5 countries playing the game and they don't have the ideas to take it forward. We need someone like Perez or someone from North America running the RLIF, who have the vision to take the international game forward. 

That is never going to happen though.

Who is going to hand power to a North American or some one like Eric Perez?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

17 minutes ago, Allora said:

That is never going to happen though.

Who is going to hand power to a North American or some one like Eric Perez?

That's the problem. We need someone with no links to the NRL or RFL running the international game, but sadly that will never happen. 

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

But the fans have already accepted Aussies/Kiwis playing for England. Never heard of Chase, Heighington or McQueen?

rldfsignature.jpg

10 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

But the fans have already accepted Aussies/Kiwis playing for England. Never heard of Chase, Heighington or McQueen?

Who's accepted it though? All I see is fans complaining when Chase, Heighnington and McQueen were called up. 

They do get funding from the RLIF..

Money which is meant for development in those nations and shouldn’t be used for underwriting representative matches 

The only money the RLIF got from the 4 nations,which was owned by the RFL,NZRL & ARLC was a 10% gate levy on attendances...now the RLIF have a world 9s where they'll be able to keep ALL the revenue..ticket sales,sponsorships,TV sales....everything..

Which means they'll be able to dish out bigger funding grants to its member nations.

Im aware the RLIF didn’t get revenue from 4 nations but it provided a 2nd tier nation with 3 headline international games they could benefit from. Now they will only get the odd game tagged onto a tour.

There’s no guarantee that a World 9’s is going to be a money spinner and provide greater grants to developing nations

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

Who's accepted it though? All I see is fans complaining when Chase, Heighnington and McQueen were called up. 

I can’t recall fans marching on RFL headquarters either. There were plenty on here who argued that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

A few things. 

Very big nation contric plan, but it is at least a plan. 

9s world cup every years doesn't work. It will be played and then forgotten about. The concept needs real commitment. 2 or 3 comps a year minimum. 

Lions tours only have a place as something more than an ashes series. It has to be bigger and unique. A three match series v the ockers with a game v NZ and PNG tagged on is pointless and in some ways counter productive.

More power needs to devolve to the RLIF. That's not a bad thing 

A secondary international comp is absolutely necessary. 4 nations time has passed I think and it doesn't really meet our needs. An 8 team comp would risk being a more concentrated world cup and take something away from that. It needs to be a bit more imaginative about what that comp is. 

I think the good thing about an 8 team comp (or similar) is that it could be played across two territories and then even maybe a third for the finals series.

I think it allows you to be more creative and stage games with limited risk exposure - places like PNG can stage a group, or NSW could bid for the whole thing instead of a World Cup, or we hit the middle east, or Canada. Or the Carribean and America - I'm up for that.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not so sure. I have no problem with this secondary international comp going to new areas. In fact I'd encourage it.

My problem would be where it fits. It's the best 8 sides it's just a more intense world cup detracting from that. And if it isn't where does it fit in 15/20 years time? Lets say expansion is a great success what purpose is an 8 team comp serving in that world? It can't be expanded because then it is just a world cup, at that point is it just taking up space?

I'm not against it id love to watch it but it seems to me a choice that fits now but wont in the future and doesn't really have a sense to adapt.

I'd rather we were more imaginative in what is offered whether that is something uniquely RL (Europe v Pacifika) or something completely new I'm not sure

A Confederations Cup with the winners and runners up from regional championships and acting as automatic WC qualifiers would be great. Unfortunately though, England, Australia and NZ would refuse to compete in European and Pacific championships. Yes, they would win it comfortably, but I'd rather win trophies than not. 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I can’t recall fans marching on RFL headquarters either. There were plenty on here who argued that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

It's not like complaining would've made a difference though. 

7 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

It's not like complaining would've made a difference though. 

Then it was accepted IMO. Plenty on here complained about heritage players being used by England (myself included) but there was also the opposite view voiced that if other nations do it then so should we. Sitting back and doing nothing about it is just accepting it.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Then it was accepted IMO. Plenty on here complained about heritage players being used by England (myself included) but there was also the opposite view voiced that if other nations do it then so should we. Sitting back and doing nothing about it is just accepting it.

I agree, but complaining on social media, ex players criticising it etc has done nothing to stop it happening. All we could do is refuse to go to England games, but the sport isn't in the position where that would be viable. 

Archived