Yorkshire vs Lancashire Academy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Well that was well publicised wasn't it?

Absolutely shocking coverage. Only reason i knew it had been played was because i seen a tweet from Rob Burrow congratulating the Leeds lads playing for Yorkshire.

2 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Absolutely shocking coverage. Only reason i knew it had been played was because i seen a tweet from Rob Burrow congratulating the Leeds lads playing for Yorkshire.

Should imagine the attendance would have been made up of close family and friends of the players, they would be the only one's presumably knowing it was taking place?

I was wondering the same thing, can’t even find the scorers or anything and given this is a selection trial for England Academy to take on France & Australia, I find it appalling.

Hopefully the next game might be streamed.

If anyone on here did see game one, I’d love to know who stood out etc

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

6 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I was wondering the same thing, can’t even find the scorers or anything and given this is a selection trial for England Academy to take on France & Australia, I find it appalling.

Hopefully the next game might be streamed.

If anyone on here did see game one, I’d love to know who stood out etc

In my opinion the way this thread is being by-passed, 293 views getting 5 responses (till this one) show's the apathy that a lot of people have to the game in general, these lad's are the cream and future of the game in this country, only 4 people being interested shouts volumes to me.

I can’t wait for the Academy tests later this year, I was recently at the Australian Schoolboys carnival from where the Aussie squad was chosen. It is always a strong squad and this years team will be hard to beat but if England are at full strength I think they definitely can challenge like they did in 2014 against a  team which had Latrell Mitchell, Brock Lamb & Jack Cogger etc

21 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I can’t wait for the Academy tests later this year, I was recently at the Australian Schoolboys carnival from where the Aussie squad was chosen. It is always a strong squad and this years team will be hard to beat but if England are at full strength I think they definitely can challenge like they did in 2014 against a  team which had Latrell Mitchell, Brock Lamb & Jack Cogger etc

Very good games they were to, saw the Schoolboys v Wigan academy and the two tests at Leigh, the two stand out British lads for me were Jordan Abdul and Oliver Gildart, Jansin Turgett and Ashton Golding were also very good.

On 30 July 2018 at 8:13 AM, Harry Stottle said:

Should imagine the attendance would have been made up of close family and friends of the players, they would be the only one's presumably knowing it was taking place?

Should have played it as a curtainraiser to a Superleague game.

I'll never understand why we don't have our own origin series. It's embarrassing. Next year I'm going to make sure I watch Queensland v NSW. I got into it this year and I'm hooked now. If my own country can't be bothered to do it, I'll celebrate a country that can and is making a damn fine job of it. I'm adopting Queensland because my favourite Kangaroo was Mal Meninga and I just can't support anything with Wales in the name. ;)

My heart would always prefer a battle between the Yorkshire Puddings and the Lancashire Hot Pots, since they're from my own country and I'd have more affinity with it, but I accept that English RL fans aren't interested. In fact, I'm not even sure why they're bothering playing it at youth level. Should get it scrapped immediately.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/dream-xiii-yorkshire/

I was interested to read the following:

"In recent months we have seen rumours fly around on social media of a potential return of the War of Roses clash between two of England’s greatest regional rivals, Yorkshire and Lancashire."

For me that's very good news. I would love to see an English origin series made to work.

23 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'll never understand why we don't have our own origin series. It's embarrassing. Next year I'm going to make sure I watch Queensland v NSW. I got into it this year and I'm hooked now. If my own country can't be bothered to do it, I'll celebrate a country that can and is making a damn fine job of it. I'm adopting Queensland because my favourite Kangaroo was Mal Meninga and I just can't support anything with Wales in the name. ;)

My heart would always prefer a battle between the Yorkshire Puddings and the Lancashire Hot Pots, since they're from my own country and I'd have more affinity with it, but I accept that English RL fans aren't interested. In fact, I'm not even sure why they're bothering playing it at youth level. Should get it scrapped immediately.

They'll tell you you are too regional, nostalgic, etc.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

5 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

They'll tell you you are too regional, nostalgic, etc.

Well, I'm from the south coast and I only remember watching one Yorkshire v Lancashire game on TV and that was one of the last ones in 2003 or thereabouts. Had never heard of it before then. I just think it would be a good addition given that there's not much of an international game. Waste of time playing against the likes of Scotland and Ireland until they improve.

Back to the OP, great piece spoke about it by Craig Harrison on Backchat or perhaps as I alluded to earlier the apathy shown towards it, I am not surprised in the least, it is the same on this site, a bloody thread about using the initial letters of a clubs name can get more responses than an issue like the lack of notification, advertising coverage and attendance of the next best high profile players at 18's level says a lot about the mentallity of some people who write on this site!

On 7/31/2018 at 8:48 AM, Harry Stottle said:

In my opinion the way this thread is being by-passed, 293 views getting 5 responses (till this one) show's the apathy that a lot of people have to the game in general, these lad's are the cream and future of the game in this country, only 4 people being interested shouts volumes to me.

The RFL decision to play this at Odsal on the same Bradford played London in the capital is mind boggling. Especially when three Bradford players were representing Yorkshire.

We planned to live stream this game, but the people at the RFL who plan these fixtures had other words.

Madness.

Only in Rugby League would we constantly shoot ourselves in the foot.

13 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Additionally, claiming that there is no point playing against the likes of Scotland and Ireland because they can't beat us completely defeats the point - why would players play for them if they never get any games? People would be livid if the Australians stopped playing us because we never beat them. 

I know what you're saying, but it's not a fair comparison. Yes, England/GB has lost to Australia lots of time in the past 25 years. However, the Aussies at least know that:

1) Our teams comprise of players genuinely from England/GB

2) That people in England/GB genuinely care about the team

3) That England/GB actually play in our own country and in front of passionate fans, ranging from 25000 up to 63000 (I think that was the figure for the semi-final against NZ in 2013)

4) The margins of our defeats are not absolute blow-outs on a regular basis. The Aussies were talking after the last world cup final against England like it was equivalent to the intensity levels of their Origin series. I don't know if they were being a bit generous there or not, but either way that was a tough game for them. The 6-0 scoreline alone tells you that much.

The above just isn't the case with respect to England playing against Wales, Scotland, or Ireland.

2 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

The RFL decision to play this at Odsal on the same Bradford played London in the capital is mind boggling. Especially when three Bradford players were representing Yorkshire.

We planned to live stream this game, but the people at the RFL who plan these fixtures had other words.

Madness.

Only in Rugby League would we constantly shoot ourselves in the foot.

Hopefully you guys can stream the return match in a few weeks Mick.

13 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Because it isn't our origin series. It's a game that last time round got a crowd of 6000, that only one of the teams cares about. How many Super League clubs are based in Lancashire anymore? In typical rugby league fashion it's harking back for the glory days of yesteryear, and it was never that successful to begin with. The largest crowd it has drawn in the last 50 years is 10,000 - if people seriously think we can't get that with an England international then what is the point?

Well then, it's up to RL fans to get behind their sport and make it a success. It's not asking much from you all up there. We're only talking about three games a year, and you wouldn't have to travel very far. Even if you just went to the game that was nearest to you, it would be something. Get a Yorkshire or Lancashire replica shirt and try and make a spectacle of it. Show the rest of the country that it's something worth watching, and put it on the BBC on a Friday night.

You say that the clubs aren't based in Lancashire anymore, and I get that. But does that preclude people from what used to be Lancashire, or just people in that general area, from taking an interest in the team? Does nobody in Manchester follow or go to watch Lancashire cricket? Did everyone stop supporting Lancashire at cricket off the back off some boundary changes (no pun intended)?

What about West v East then? Or Lancashire and West v Yorkshire and East, so that people feel more included?

Please don't tell me that there's nothing that can be done here? SOO has just sold out in Perth, Australia. Did the residents of Perth say, well, we're not in Queensland or NSW, so we're not interested? No, they got behind it, because it's a terrific sport spectacle. They had to work to get it that way though. I'm pretty sure when they started it in 1980 or whenever, that it wasn't at the level it is now.

Until France, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland can get stronger and become competitive with England, we're short of high profile matches that we can play. We can't expect the Australians and New Zealanders to come here all the time, so we've got to do something for ourselves. Let's get an English origin series going and stop being so negative. Loads of people watch the boat race every year and that's Oxford and Cambridge. If you put on a show, you can attract people. I'm not saying the country will fall in love with RL, but you might just find a few soccer fans would watch a bit of RL if it was Yorkshire v Lancashire and played in front of capacity crowds and there was a bit of a spectacle.

Ultimately, though, it's up for RL to make the effort, both organisers and fans. If the sport itself can't be bothered, at least don't then sit around wondering why your national profile is non-existent and declining further. Give people nothing, and you'll get nothing back.

14 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Because it isn't our origin series. It's a game that last time round got a crowd of 6000, that only one of the teams cares about. How many Super League clubs are based in Lancashire anymore? In typical rugby league fashion it's harking back for the glory days of yesteryear, and it was never that successful to begin with. The largest crowd it has drawn in the last 50 years is 10,000 - if people seriously think we can't get that with an England international then what is the point? 

Additionally, claiming that there is no point playing against the likes of Scotland and Ireland because they can't beat us completely defeats the point - why would players play for them if they never get any games? People would be livid if the Australians stopped playing us because we never beat them. 

I see what you mean, though the gap between Aus and England has been/is non as big as the one between a full strength England side v Scotland/Ireland without heritage players. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

If an origin series was to happen what would be the preferred format? 

If it's Yorkshire Vs Lancashire they need to play on the traditional rivalries when marketing the games.

I'd also have London Vs Cumbria at the same time but on a different day as there are a lot of good players from those areas that need to be given the chance to play. 

France vs Wales and Scotland Vs Ireland could also be played around this time.

These could be played over the course of a representative weekend with a game on the Friday and then a Saturday afternoon and evening followed by a Sunday afternoon game.

I'm sure if this was marketed effectively and allowed to grow as a concept then a lot of media coverage could be attracted  to the weekend.

I thought about a NE vs NW or East Vs West but I think using counties and playing on rivalries would make it easier to convince the fans to buy into the concept

Didn't want to quote you Saint1 as it fills up the page, but:

You rubbish the idea of origin and say you're not interested, because St Helens isn't part of Lancashire. How do you explain people in Perth flocking to buy tickets to watch a match between Queensland and NSW? Why don't make the effort for the sake of RL, not for me? I'm just a casual observer of the sport. 

Secondly, you've been so selective in quoting matches against Fiji and Ireland that took place during the world cup in 2013. That Ireland game ended up 42-0 to England, so I wonder how many people came away from it thinking it was really worth their while going? Fun day out, maybe, but not really a serious sporting contest. Fiji was a bit closer - just 34-12 - but I again would question whether there was ever much doubt over the result, or if the crowd that did go would have been up for it like they would a genuine contest against Australia or even New Zealand.

Anyway, if you're right, why the hell are the RFL messing about playing tests against New Zealand in Denver? Why aren't England playing at home against Ireland? It's supposed to be the national team and we've played precisely zero times in England so far this year.

Archived