Keighley 16, Hunslet 24

Hawkwindbag

A somewhat heroic and against-the-odds win, which keeps the season alive and showed some of the old never-say-die spirit that's been missing this last couple of weeks or so.

But the question that has to be asked is, did Keighley lose it or did we win it? At half time it was undoubtedly theirs to lose; 10 points up against 12 men, regularly getting over the advantage line and a kicking game that we just couldn't handle.

Then they came out for the second half and played one-out stuff, kicked harmlessly for touch, but worst of all turned into an undisciplined rabble that seemed to be complaining about every try we scored and ended up with only 10 men at the hooter! Ironic then, that despite playing 60-odd minutes with 12 men it was discipline that won us the game!

Still plenty to work on, I didn't think much to our attacking structures in their half, and again I question if we'd have got over the winning line if not for Keighley's indiscretions. Two things you can't knock however are the fitness levels and the team spirit.

So top five finish definitely back on again, one thing about the tough July we've just come through is that we have a comparatively easy run-in, but the two fixtures that stick out like sore thumbs are Whitehaven away and York away, it may be we need to win one of those to be sure of clinching a playoff place.

Plenty of fun still to come then! 

Agree with all of the above here. Keighley played a great first half with some great high kicks which was destroying us.

Second half as hawkwindbag said a different story. We played like Keighley in the first half , but credit to Keighley for some magnificent tackling in the first 20 mins of that second half and i could not see us scoring for the life of me , but when we did manage to break them down in the end was a great game to watch .

Also we have a good goal kicker in Sanderson and now we look a very fit team thanks to Gary Thornton & all the coaching staff.

Thought  it was a real tale of 2 halfs with the ref who gave Keighley everything in the 1st half and then gave everything to us in the 2nd - a 10 nil penalty count to us going down the slope and Keighley had to give in eventually.  Thought Reed getting sent off was very harsh but even against 12 men Keighley never broke us once and their only ploy was Hardcastle booting the ball as high as he could which resulted in 2 lucky tries off shocking bounces. Thought Chappell had a strong game , Tonks runs it in well but with Ashton getting 4 matches, Reed possibly  a ban and Zak brakeing his arm its gunna be tough now to get in the 5 , the programme seller, if that's alright with him, should be aware I backed us with 4 start y,day and at 16-0 cursed myself however all was good at the end ...:yes:

Keep putting ourselves into bad situations but the lads deserve massive credit for their second half performance. For me based on a strong pack. Hopefully looking at the fixtures back in the 5 after Hemel home then it’s upto us. Either way great set of lads who enjoy our support 

Chappell did OK but he needs to be told to stop kicking, unless we're near the end of the tackle count. One of his kicks was on the first tackle, the others were frankly woeful!

It might have been because we were a man short, but when we were attacking to the left and it got to Sanderson he had no alternative than the long pass because there was no teammate within 10 yards of him! It made it an easy read. it was almost comical in the second half yesterday, there were huge gaps in attack and defence right in front of the sticks as Keighley loaded up their right side defence knowing full well we had no other options.

Archived