Lack of signings

Bitterly disappointed that we didn't strengthen the squad before Friday's deadline.Most of our rivals managed to secure some good deals, notably Tyler Dickinson to Workington, yet, for whatever reason we drew a big fat blank. Our small squad cannot afford many more injuries(Luke Hooley out for a month) or we will struggle to field 17 players.

With the deadline having passed, does anyone know if we are totally on our own now to the end of the season? If the worst came to the worst, and we had only 16 fit players, would we just have to suck it up?

Personally, I'm resigned to another season in League 1, even if we make the play-offs. The season has turned progressively more sour for us; the Salford DR non-event, Adam Neal's injury, Leigh's fire sale, the Danny Bridge affair and finally, the lack of signings before the deadline.

Who knows what next season will bring? Whatever happens I will be there, home and away, because watching Oldham RLFC is like a drug that I can't give up.

Let's be honest we don't deserve to go with our defeats against the traditional sides and sides we are supposedly equal to or better than.

Bradford were always going to go up, with RFL backing, and York also deserve their chance, albeit for one season.

Derby games against R/Dale and Swinton are games to look forward to so things won't be too bad staying in this division.

Just get two new faces at half-back. Sadly, I can't see Langers and one or two more staying with us.

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

Let's be honest we don't deserve to go with our defeats against the traditional sides and sides we are supposedly equal to or better than.

Bradford were always going to go up, with RFL backing, and York also deserve their chance, albeit for one season.

Derby games against R/Dale and Swinton are games to look forward to so things won't be too bad staying in this division.

Just get two new faces at half-back. Sadly, I can't see Langers and one or two more staying with us.

I think if we do stay in this division, langers & nelmes might go , but I really hope not proper stand out player's , other clubs are signing player's up now for next year, i would like to see a couple of half backs signed up soon 

Yeah think you're right HMHG, we're not there yet at the start of the season I was really excited with the squad but now that momentum has just fizzled away.

Personally I don't want us to go up until we're playing consistently well and getting results against our rivals rather than coming up short.

Its not all doom and gloom though uptheyeds

18 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

The way you started this season, I thought you were the one to beat, dont think you conceded a point in the friendlies and the first game, your defence is the second best in the league, points difference is good so just whats wrong?, im not having a go, just wondering.

Two donkeys playing 6 and 7 no creativity in the team simple as. Look at the good teams in the league: York- Connor Robinson, Bradford -Chisholm and Lilley, Doncaster- Beharrell, Workington- Doran, haven- Howarth(been in super league), hunslet- Sanderson. 

You can't just blame the half backs. Lack of a plan b from the coach is as much to blame. Smash it up the middle and if that fails then we go to pot and lose confidence when sides score against us. Look at yesterday, the lads were let off the leash and we scored points in the last 10 mins.Why we can't play more of that is beyond me. Gaz moving into the halves added a big attacking threat. We have played all season in patches of 20 mins good,20 mins bad. That simply isn't consistent enough to be challenging for the top places.

If anything I'm afraid to say I think Crooky has had his day, great player a few years back but I feel time has caught up with him now and he just doesn't have the same sharpness he had back then.

Chewy is limited imho by the style of play we have, personally I would keep him and get a younger,more dynamic 6 in to help him. It won't matter though if we use the same systems and forward orientated stuff.

Injuries hit us hard again. Players missing at vital times,always a worry with a small squad such as ours.

Lack of ambition from the club which Nobby has alluded to in his post game comments,everyone signing players bar us for the final push.

It's not over yet, it's going to be a real dogfight to make the playoffs, a miracle to achieve 3rd place which is probably the favoured spot for Oldham. It's been a funny season really for us, high expectations to return to the Champ at the first time of asking was always a tough ask with the quality of York and Bradford especially. Losses to clubs around us has been the defining factor.

It won't be the worst thing to stay where we are and hopefully the powers that be will take a long,hard look at what needs doing to improve everything at the end of the season,coaches,personnel, the full monty.

For what it's worth, in the main I have actually enjoyed more games this season than I did in the Championship, visiting clubs and fans we haven't seen for a while.

Ah well, off to Hemel we go on Sunday!

Up the Yeds!

I think that is probably the case tbh. I like Nobby,he has done well for us and has the respect of the players and fans but results and performances are what coaches are judged on and this season has been a continuation of the tactics we have seen for a few seasons, we don't seem to be able to change tactics on the fly, it's so predictable and one dimensional.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nobby leaves at the end of the season (I would like him to finish this season with us), if that's the case then I would certainly thank him for the job he has done, it can't be easy with a limited budget and seemingly his hands are tied in signings etc from the Chairman.

I think the whole club needs an overhaul tbh to try to rekindle some enthusiasm for ORLFC in the town.

I think he's done great for us all things considered. Sod all of a budget and all the rest of it. If he could get us up to the championship on next to zilch just think what he could do given a few quid. If he does go at the end of the season I'd like to shake him hand and thank him for the memories of promotion. He's always come across as a decent bloke.

Personally, reading his comments, I think he has already decided enough is enough.

Ignoring the lack of plan B for the moment, the real issue is either the lack of ambition from the top and or the lack of fund to achieve any ambition the club may have.

As R34 says it really is time for a top to bottom overall.

Just a thought, I wonder if the lack of signings is really down to the incapacity of the chairman at the moment?

^Harsh. Don't think Nobby needs any excuses tbh. If the Chairman hasn't backed him bringing players in then where does he go? If players are ignoring instructions, what can he do?Thats just telling the truth. I'm sure Nobby has admitted to making mistakes in the past with various things and said that the team have ignored instructions. Seems like you just don't like Scott tbh. Let's see if Nobby goes, how the next incumbent of the poisoned chalice fares. If Scott leaves I hope it's on his terms and not " being asked to leave" aka the sack. He doesn't deserve the sack, just a mutual parting of the ways at the end of the season would be the best way to end it....if it is going to end.

Who knows, will everyone still be having a go if we just so happened to go up?

It's not all over just yet.....

1 minute ago, tandle said:

quite a lot don't go because they don't want to cheer chris Hamilton on. just a question stevos barber what size of gate do you think Oldham need to survive.

TBH i go when i can, the hard core who go every home game is around 300-350.

I don't think thats anywhere near enough to generate the funds to invest in the squad.

The reality is the club needs investment, we all know that.

The million dollar question is how to acquire funds, meaningful funds, 

When will you turn it in tandle, i certainly dont spend my hard earned pennies traipsing round the country to cheer CH on. I go to cheer on the lads on the pitch representing our club and town, of which i am proud of in both cases.

Funds indeed are the problem Old Yed, a word of caution though, we may be skint yet turn out a decent enough squad year on year, is that a better state of affairs than say Leigh or Salford who's benefactors have pulled the plug and the clubs are now in deep trouble overall? Boom or bust?

I believe that we do ok (and only ok) with the funds we have, IF we can generate more funds year on year and become self sustaining eventually i feel that is a better option than a "sugar daddy", we do well really on central funding i reckon in the main (how long that funding lasts with the shake up etc is unknown), i dont know if CH puts any extra money into the club.

We know we have debt, most owed to CH in directors loans,CH at the present time does not seem interested in folding the club and cutting his losses. In some ways we are lucky that we aint in a Leigh/Salford situation relying on the fortunes of one man, in another way we will not move forward until we find a way to increase investment/income. Its a massive conundrum and has been for years.

For instance if Mr H wrote off the debts the club owe him then we would actually be in a better financial situation than a lot of clubs, it would be up to the fans/ new board etc to gain extra funding above the RFL central funding.Could it be done? Yes, but it would take a few years to build a decent pot of money up and until that money was in then we would toodle along as we are now. I wouldnt mind that as long as there was light at the end of the tunnel and ultimately a secured future for our club.

Too many people still live in dreamland, we are a proud club, but now a small club comparatively to years gone by. The past is the past, we celebrate our history but now we need to find a solution to the financial issue and make this great club strong again.

Knocking the chairman at every turn will not help, withdrawing support for the TEAM, will not help. We need to pull together and find the answers. 

The club cannot move forward without the support of the fans, those that stay away need to consider wether they WANT a RL club in Oldham, those that go and contribute financially for the benefit of the club-not CH, need to pray that everyone who has an interest in ORLFC will see the light and realise we support our TEAM not the regime.

Do the stayaways (excluding ill health etc) and knockers realise they are actually killing the club they "love", because of their hatred of the Chairman, im expecting either "i told you so" or " Well thats the rugby gone" if ORLFC dies again, i hope they all will be massively proud of the "support" they have given to the club if that happens.

3 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Knocking the chairman at every turn will not help, withdrawing support for the TEAM, will not help. We need to pull together and find the answers. 

The club cannot move forward without the support of the fans, those that stay away need to consider wether they WANT a RL club in Oldham, those that go and contribute financially for the benefit of the club-not CH, need to pray that everyone who has an interest in ORLFC will see the light and realise we support our TEAM not the regime.

Do the stayaways (excluding ill health etc) and knockers realise they are actually killing the club they "love", because of their hatred of the Chairman, im expecting either "i told you so" or " Well thats the rugby gone" if ORLFC dies again, i hope they all will be massively proud of the "support" they have given to the club if that happens.

Like R34 says the club needs support. My support is for the club. 

I have made this point before. If all the people who previously came to the club to watch, and fr the time being forgot to owned the club, then all the extra money would reduce the debt and actually make it easier for any investors to come in and replace CH.

With less debt, this club, due to its history and strength in the community game would be a great investment for someone.

I firmly believe this.

3 minutes ago, tandle said:

he is in Majorca sunning his self drongos

Who knows.  The guy is convalescing after major surgery.  If he's got his feet up in the Balearics, that's probably not a bad plan.  Maybe he flew back in an air ambulance last week to represent Danny Bridge at his hearing and then flew straight back.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused by  "sunning his self drongos".      What's that mean then?

Absolutely right Dave...regardless of any view one entertains re Chris` and ORLFC  just think for a moment what he has endured under the knife...These things can completely change ones thoughts and what in your life is really important....its a wake up call to your own mortality.

I certainly don`t begrudge him some sun and R and R...get well soon Chris! (and God Bless You).

2 hours ago, tandle said:

while you lot are trying to save this business owned by mr. chris Hamilton, he is in Majorca sunning his self drongos. 

Wow u av certainly brought the feelings of Vitriol out in this discussion .....AGAIN. . .  havent you Tandle....... they will be calling you a Traitor next thing 

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

13 hours ago, tandle said:

quite a lot don't go because they don't want to cheer chris Hamilton on. just a question stevos barber what size of gate do you think Oldham need to survive.

I have no idea. I don't have access to the accounts nor know what the wages are for players. 

What I do know is the guys who pull on the shirt deserve our support and, like him or not, Mr Hamilton deserves our support because without him we have no club. You don't have to cheer him but, for my own part, I'm happy to thank him. You don't have to its your choice.

Archived