Lack of signings

Over three years ago when the club was in a similar position, we entered into discussions with the club about the possibility of at least a partially supporter owned club. Using the proper channel of the sanctioned supporters trust and with an ambition to retain CHs involvement at board level. We never got the chance to fully flesh out our plans, which I believe included fans on the board of the club, an immediate injection of cash for improved supporter facilities at Whitebank - which could have amounted to around £30,000 - and an annual membership funding scheme which would support the appointment of a full time Commercial and Engagement Manager and cover other running costs.

We were successful in getting RO and CH around the same table and initially getting 1) RO to declare a formal interest in being involved in partial ownership/running of the club AND 2) CH stating he was open to any level of fan ownership if the conditions were right.

Those discussions were stopped abruptly by club. Both I and RO made several attempts to contact the club following a cancelled meeting, with no response.

While I was hugely frustrated for a time at the response of the club and a section of its fans, I hold no grudges. I am saddened to see the club back in this predicament and I wish CH a full and speedy revovery.

However, I firmly believe that had we continued our process, we would have reached proposals in which the club would have seen the mutual benefit. The transition to a new business model would have been completed two years ago and the club would be in a far stronger position today - on and off the pitch.

19 hours ago, tandle said:

while you lot are trying to save this business owned by mr. chris Hamilton, he is in Majorca sunning his self drongos. 

Funny that, considering he was with Scott Naylor at the disciplinary in Leeds last night :) Must have the private jet on standby at Leeds/Bradford to whisk him back to the Balearics!! 

13 hours ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

Over three years ago when the club was in a similar position, we entered into discussions with the club about the possibility of at least a partially supporter owned club. Using the proper channel of the sanctioned supporters trust and with an ambition to retain CHs involvement at board level. We never got the chance to fully flesh out our plans, which I believe included fans on the board of the club, an immediate injection of cash for improved supporter facilities at Whitebank - which could have amounted to around £30,000 - and an annual membership funding scheme which would support the appointment of a full time Commercial and Engagement Manager and cover other running costs.

We were successful in getting RO and CH around the same table and initially getting 1) RO to declare a formal interest in being involved in partial ownership/running of the club AND 2) CH stating he was open to any level of fan ownership if the conditions were right.

Those discussions were stopped abruptly by club. Both I and RO made several attempts to contact the club following a cancelled meeting, with no response.

While I was hugely frustrated for a time at the response of the club and a section of its fans, I hold no grudges. I am saddened to see the club back in this predicament and I wish CH a full and speedy revovery.

However, I firmly believe that had we continued our process, we would have reached proposals in which the club would have seen the mutual benefit. The transition to a new business model would have been completed two years ago and the club would be in a far stronger position today - on and off the pitch.

I think when you suggested a joint team running the club you were about to inject £30,000 into and help save scared the CEO who has run this private company single handed for the last 20 years with only the help of the RFL handouts 

the same bloke who invested a lot less over 20 years ago who I believe is a accountant has been a paid employee of Oldham rugby league since 1998 so how has he loaned money to save the club it’s money the RFL fund for a pro team in Oldham which CH takes and funds his own life 

Rugby in Oldham is still massive saddleworth waterhead & st Anne’s have hundreds of kids playing every Sunday I might be wrong but each club has a team playing from u7s to u18s that’s 200 kids per club over 600 kids in Oldham playing our great game so over 1200 parents watching rugby every Sunday morning 

I might be wrong but I have never seen Scott Naylor or any of his staff attend a U18s game I have never seen CH attend a local game or engage with any local clubs surely the 1200 parents who turn up every Sunday morning might be intrested in the product you sell via RFL funding 

How are is it to see what’s wrong with Oldham rugby 

Little no it all

The lack of integration and engagement with the local amateur scene and the lack of continuous financial investment were the reasons that the involvement of RO was essential. Their links to and within the local amateur and youth rugby landscape are vital in rebuilding a true RL community. Their constitution allows for ownership of the club by their Trust and they already have a governance structure that could be adapted to running the club. They made it clear they are open to new mass membership by ORLFC supporters...and that all new nembers could run for election to the governing board of the Trust.

Their position may have changed but I doubt it.

I believe fan ownership is the best future model for clubs like Oldham. I believe RO is the quickest, most inclusive and most financially sustainable model for a move to fan ownership.

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

We all agree so lets make it happen. As one said CH might now see that he needs help due to his health issues. What a legacy he will leave having saved a great club from extinction.

One final thought "Does CH read this forum page?"

Would you still read it if you read some posts on here vilifying yourself?

Tandle I don't particularly want to. My response to you was pointing out that I am not in a position to suggest a break even crowd. I wish we were getting 2000 plus. 

I'm not even in a place, geographically, to do much to increase the crowd. All my wife and I can do is get in the car and support our team, home and away as often as we can. We just wish others would do the same.

Archived