Seven Games

Dave Naylor

I had a look at the bunch of teams separated by two points in the pack below Bradford and York.  I'm making the assumption that one of those two teams will be promoted and the other finish in second place.  

I'm discounting Keighley and Newcastle since they are four points adrift.  They could come back into contention but I have to draw a line somewhere so I chose to omit them.

Let's imagine that:

• You win all your home games apart from those against York and Bradford
  • You lose all away games against anyone in the pack as well as York and Bradford
  • You beat teams below the pack, home and away

Current points [in brackets], projected points follow with season total at the end.

Workington [26] +8 = 34

H: Keighley, Coventry, York, London Skolars 
A: Bradford, Newcastle, Doncaster

Whitehaven [26] +8 = 34

H: Doncaster, Hunslet, Coventry, 
A: Bradford, Oldham, Hemel Stags, York 

Oldham [24]  +10 = 34

H: Whitehaven, Coventry, Bradford
A: Hemel Stags, Newcastle Thunder, York, London Skolars

Doncaster [24] +12 = 36

H: London Skolars, Newcastle, Workington 
A: Coventry, Whitehaven, Keighley, North Wales

Hunslet [24] +10 = 34

H: Hemel Stags, London Skolars, Newcastle Thunder
A: West Wales Raiders, York, Whitehaven, Coventry

This means that Doncaster finish third and the rest of the pack all finish on 34 points.  Points difference, currently to our advantage, will prove crucial.

Of course this doesn't take into account current form or factors such as a squad boosted by recent signings.

Key games for us are therefore Haven at home, Newcastle away and Skolars on the last day.  That last fixture could be quite an uncomfortable afternoon down in North London.   

Things will not go 100% according to predictions, all we can do is concentrate on the job at hand and not lose games that we should be winning.

Up the Yeds

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

I had a look at the bunch of teams separated by two points in the pack below Bradford and York.  I'm making the assumption that one of those two teams will be promoted and the other finish in second place.  

I'm discounting Keighley and Newcastle since they are four points adrift.  They could come back into contention but I have to draw a line somewhere so I chose to omit them.

Let's imagine that:

• You lose all away games against anyone in the pack as well as York and Bradford

Current points [in brackets], projected points follow with season total at the end.

Workington [26] +8 = 34

Whitehaven [26] +8 = 34

Oldham [24]  +10 = 34

Doncaster [24] +12 = 36

Hunslet [24] +10 = 34

This means that Doncaster finish third and the rest of the pack all finish on 34 points.  Points difference, currently to our advantage, will prove crucial.

Of course this doesn't take into account current form or factors such as a squad boosted by recent signings.

Key games for us are therefore Haven at home, Newcastle away and Skolars on the last day.  That last fixture could be quite an uncomfortable afternoon down in North London.   

Things will not go 100% according to predictions, all we can do is concentrate on the job at hand and not lose games that we should be winning.

Up the Yeds

You're  trying too hard,  just give the old grey matter a rest, what will be will be.

18 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

You're  trying too hard,  just give the old grey matter a rest, what will be will be.

Why did you quote the entire post back at me?

* Added to help confused @georgeb1.

The way forums work is that if you intend to quote someone, just quote enough to let them see the context to which you're replying.  Otherwise, you end up with tons of unneeded text to scroll through making the reading experience terrible.

Dave I don't see the point of making the play offs unless we're serious about mounting a challenge. 

We've no chance of beating Bradford or York let alone all the others that have beaten us recently. 

Not strengthening the team tells a big story, we are resigned to another season in this pitiful league.

Realistically true Crab but who knows, any game is not a given. Who thought we would have beat HKR in the cup or Fax for that matter? On the day IF we perform at 100% and the luck falls our way we can beat anyone. The York game was lost by 2 points in the best game I have seen all season, we were very unlucky to lose at Bradford also. 

By the way,it's not a pitiful league, I don't understand why people have a go at it. From 3-9 it's very competitive. The Championship has a 16 point gap between 6/7 is that also pitiful then?

I have enjoyed this season, more than the Championship ones in many ways. Some tough and tight games,some blowouts granted,some very decent RL played, but all in all it's been a good do seeing clubs and friends around the country we haven't seen for a while.

Off we go to Hemel, looking forward to it already.

Up the Yeds!

29 minutes ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

A season of ups and downs galore, predictable in our unpredictability 

And it is the unpredictability that will make it so exciting. Looking at the above fixtures, I could see Hunslet, (if the real Hunslet turn up every week) maybe getting another 10 points, but don't see any of the others getting as many points as Dave has predicted. As a York fan, I think we will have to go through the play off route to get promotion, and that only makes the unpredictability even more unpredictable.

1 hour ago, thecrab said:

Dave I don't see the point of making the play offs unless we're serious about mounting a challenge. 

We've no chance of beating Bradford or York let alone all the others that have beaten us recently. 

There was a point in Sunday's game—I think when we went 26-6 down—where I walked over to Murgy.  A bit fed up about the scoreline I said something like "this is the final nail in our season's coffin".  A bit dramatic but I take it all personally and I was upset.

Anyway,  from that point we seemed to wake up.  The pack was rushing to form when there was a scrum, we kept going and in the end found ourselves beaten by the clock.  A couple more extra sets and we'd have gone in again to win the game.

Afterwards, I was in the bar at the top of the stand chatting to Geoff Owen.  In walked Gaz and he was visibly gutted. 

The desire is there and amazingly we're still in the mix. 

If we do grab a place in the play-offs, we're going to be playing one of the five at home or away and then Bradford or York in the final. 

It's not an insurmountable task.  Difficult for sure, but with level heads and determination we can do it. 

Having said all that, going up into the Championship with York/Bradford would see us in a brutal league next year.  Hairnets and Swinton must be odds-on to come down so our mate Gary Schofield will start his league predictions with us at the bottom.

Sunday afternoons are fun :)

Well i would be the 1st to admit im really quite a negative person but for once, despite everything i think everyone needs to pull together for the last few games.

We all know there are problems, possibly bigger problems then we can do little or nothing about, but at the end of the day hope springs eternal, there is still the chance for promotion, so its only right that the fans remain hopeful.

I worry amongst other things that there are issues with harmony in the dressing room, the games i have seen this season nag me that something is missing, but the players, coaching staff and fans have to be united in the run in.

Im not sure whats going on with duel reg, perhaps Chris being away for a while has not helped, but its something that needs looking at imho, it cant be ok for other teams to be bringing in SL players while we get no-one.

Anyway, the team IS capable of beating anyone in this league with the right mindset, we can only hope the mindset is right over the next few weeks, its not really a big deal when facing the likes of Hemel but it will be for Braford, newcastle whitehaven etc.

Just because Chris is off on long term sick should not alter recruitment. He left the good ship Oldham with his number and I assume that there will be detailed dos and donts. 

I think that this shows a one man club doesn't work and he needs to invest in paid back room staff. 

At look of conference clubs are run better than ours............ At times 

It's  strange isn't it, life and everything, including sport. It's all about expectations . In economics a company's shares can rise because they only made a £10m loss rather than the expected £15m loss, it's still a loss. In this division Bradford and York are now expected to go up. We are thinking we'll be lucky to make the play offs and if we do we won't  get anywhere , so what's the point, right? Wrong , it's still all to play for. Just think about how you'd feel if we pulled off the unexpected.  And for those who like a bit of schadenfreude just think how gutted , how shattered either Bradford or York would feel if they lost out. Worse than we would feel if we lost out, because we're not expecting to make the play offs.

I want York to go up.  They've got momentum behind them, the sort we had when we won 14 on the run to go up in 2015.

York finish top, and we draw Donny away in the semi-final.  Payback in South Yorkshire is then followed by a final at Odsal where we win the game with a golden point drop-goal.  Can you imagine :)

8 hours ago, clifford said:

Just because Chris is off on long term sick should not alter recruitment. He left the good ship Oldham with his number and I assume that there will be detailed dos and donts. 

I think that this shows a one man club doesn't work and he needs to invest in paid back room staff. 

At look of conference clubs are run better than ours............ At times 

Nip up to saddleworth rangers and look at their new clubhouse,it's lovely. It was achieved through people coming together and making it happen. Crowds seem to be on the up, for an amateur club it's fantastic. I try and get up there when I can.

On 7/30/2018 at 2:05 PM, Dave Naylor said:

Let's imagine that:

Workington [26] +8 = 34

Whitehaven [26] +8 = 34

Oldham [24]  +10 = 34

Doncaster [24] +12 = 36

Hunslet [24] +10 = 34

Up the Yeds

Town will only lose 2 games tops the rest of the season 

6 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

Sigh.

Damn I've quoted your whole post... Sorry!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Dave, didn't I read in the t&c's that you're not allowed to edit or cut   someone's post when quoting for fear of changing the context? Daft I know. Particularly if you're replying to one part of a long post.

There's nothing in the guidelines to that effect?

I've been using Fidonet, Usenet, Forums, IRC, Slack and probably stuff I've forgotten about for a long time.  Trimming quotes to leave just enough context to allow a reader to join in with a conversation thread is wired into my DNA.

You should see how I email.  People who top-post reply leaving the entire content of the original email and then sending it back to the original sender, together with massive signatures and disclaimers, is insane.   Even worse is when that reply is just one or two words.

I mainly use interleaved style in my email replies unless I'm replying quickly from my phone, and even then I tend to try and trim as much as I can.

A large portion of online users have no idea what they are doing, don't even get me started on file attachments <shudder>.

Internet L plates, it should be a thing! 

Just on this thread for the first time.  My view, for what it's worth, is that we may just be better staying down for another season, or maybe two. That way we can build the squad and some momentum as we did in our promotion year which allowed us to stay in C1.  Had we not had an unbelievable injury crisis two thirds through last season I truly believe we would still be up now and doing well.

Obviously, the big worry is what the RFL will do with League 1 and C1

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

On 8/1/2018 at 10:03 AM, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Dave, didn't I read in the t&c's that you're not allowed to edit or cut   someone's post when quoting for fear of changing the context? Daft I know. Particularly if you're replying to one part of a long post.

We don't allow you to change what someone has said in a post, but you are free to quote just the relevant sections of a post (sentence or paragraph).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Too expensive most likely too. Latics ain't exactly flush so I reckon they would want a pretty penny for BP. I still think Bower Fold will be favourite although as a one off I wouldn't mind BP, if that did happen prepare for the backlash of some Latics fans moaning about how rugby ruins the pitch! ?

Archived