Rugby League’s dwindling profile - Chris Irvine bumped from The Times

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Does the average rugby league fan read The Times? Probably not. Alot has been made of this but its more likely to do with the changing media landscape in the UK. 

In London the average rugby league fan might read the Times, because they are of higher average intellect than the football-obsessed readers of the other, more degraded tabloids. London rugby league fans are a special cultural breed. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of  them even read The Economist (based on those I have met).

6 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Does the average rugby league fan read The Times? Probably not. Alot has been made of this but its more likely to do with the changing media landscape in the UK. 

The people who read newspapers such as the The Times are precisely the kind of people we need to be attracting as sponsors and investors.

The complete disappearance of RL from the pages of The Times makes it that much harder to attract them.

25 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Congratulations on summing up in 120 characters or so RL problem in the UK. We’re from up north and don’t read the times so stuff ‘em.

Chris Irvine was a paid RL journalist for 26 years at the times. No longer. The game isn’t important enough. 

It may well be a cost cutting measure but the axe has fallen on RL as opposed to another sport. RL suffers, another sport doesn’t.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

28 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

In London the average rugby league fan might read the Times, because they are of higher average intellect than the football-obsessed readers of the other, more degraded tabloids. London rugby league fans are a special cultural breed. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of  them even read The Economist (based on those I have met).

Agreed.

So, with Irvine gone, maybe we'll get fewer negative stories about RL in the national media, then?

Seriously, sad to see him become the latest in the continuing cuts to traditional media, because he used to write some good RL content.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I subscribe to both The Times and The Economist.

Last time I looked out of my window, I could see Ilkley Moor, not Moorgate...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

He is a msierable sod who hasn't given the impression of enjoying rugby for many years.

Still, if he isn't being replaced that is terrible news for our sport.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

And I thought it was The Greatest Game!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

He is a msierable sod who hasn't given the impression of enjoying rugby for many years.

What's sadder is that I remember his output when it was more balanced, and there was some excellent writing there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wouldn't say it's a PR disaster. Since hiding behind the paywall, they get less hits than free ones. Newspapers are a dying breed as well. Rightly or wrongly, people don't want to read long articles anymore, they want short snappy content on apps, social media, snapchat etc. One thing social media doesn't have is biased to the old network, so there is far more opportunity for RL with new media than old. 

41 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Congratulations on summing up in 120 characters or so RL problem in the UK. We’re from up north and don’t read the times so stuff ‘em.

Chris Irvine was a paid RL journalist for 26 years at the times. No longer. The game isn’t important enough. 

It may well be a cost cutting measure but the axe has fallen on RL as opposed to another sport. RL suffers, another sport doesn’t.

Thats not really what I was implying, Times circulation figures are in a constant downward spiral. While I accept peoples points about it being a national paper it is one which is dying and its not the great disaster that people are making out. 

Does this indicate a lower influence by News International on The Times or a precursor to Sky's reduced interest in 2021?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Does this indicate a lower influence by News International on The Times or a precursor to Sky's reduced interest in 2021?

Sky's TV investment in RL has never been matched by any prominence in their newspapers, has it?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived