1 hour ago, manu266 said:

I'll be in New York City for the first week of Super 8's (Aug.8-12).

Does anyone know a rugby (league!) friendly pub there?

Thx.

When I was there last year we were in a bar called Tonic near Times Square opposite the M & Ms store and the TV was showing a sports channel that would advertise SL games. I was never in the bar when a game was actually on but it might be worth an ask. Prices weren’t bad either. You may well go to Times Square anyway doing the tourist  bit so it wouldn’t be out of your way.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, manu266 said:

I'll be in New York City for the first week of Super 8's (Aug.8-12).

Does anyone know a rugby (league!) friendly pub there?

Thx.

You might want to contact one of the New York RL clubs and ask them where they go to watch. The Brooklyn Kings have Facebook and Twitter presence, for instance: http://brooklynkingsrugby.com/

The New York Knights have an Instagram account: https://newyorkknightsrugby.com/index.php/contact

Or just a straightforward email to either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

You might want to contact one of the New York RL clubs and ask them where they go to watch. The Brooklyn Kings have Facebook and Twitter presence, for instance: http://brooklynkingsrugby.com/

The New York Knights have an Instagram account: https://newyorkknightsrugby.com/index.php/contact

Or just a straightforward email to either.

The Brooklyn Kings have zero social media presence in my experience. They don’t have a FB Page and their Twitter account is trapped in 2017. Forget the social media logos you see on their website. NYK aren’t much better. The teams from the birthplace of Twitter and FB struggle to use them. 

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

The Brooklyn Kings have zero social media presence in my experience. They don’t have a FB Page and their Twitter account is trapped in 2017. Forget the social media logos you see on their website. NYK aren’t much better. The teams from the birthplace of Twitter and FB struggle to use them. 

Sounds like they need to hire some admin staff. I don't get why they don't offer an internship to a student, I'm sure there's plenty that would be keen for the experience for their CVs over the summer. 

I just don't get why it's so difficult for the USARL teams to keep their media outlets updated. Very few, if any, will do a match preview or match review on any platform. You'd think it would be so easy in 2018 to get things out there but it's like they just want to play a game on the weekend and that's it until the next game.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I just don't get why it's so difficult for the USARL teams to keep their media outlets updated. Very few, if any, will do a match preview or match review on any platform. You'd think it would be so easy in 2018 to get things out there but it's like they just want to play a game on the weekend and that's it until the next game.

The sport over there needs a massive kick up the ######. I thought the USARL were supposed to make it more professional. 

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

The sport over there needs a massive kick up the ######. I thought the USARL were supposed to make it more professional. 

ATEOTD they are amateurs but even amateur teams elsewhere in the world can keep their websites up to speed.

rldfsignature.jpg

12 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Deluded mate I don't know where you're looking but the Kings have one of the best social media outlets going (if not quite what it was two years ago). They started the same time as us, have twice as many followers and have had people like Greg Inglis and other Souths players posting to it to give them content. They had a promo video last year that was just awesome and to be honest, I've nicked a few ideas from them in the past. Probably the best run club in the North looking from the outside without seeing the bank books

FWIW OP I'd definitely reach out to the Knights or Kings and go to their sponsor bar, things like that are huge especially if you tell the manager while there.

20 minutes ago, Deeeco said:

Deluded mate I don't know where you're looking but the Kings have one of the best social media outlets going (if not quite what it was two years ago). They started the same time as us, have twice as many followers and have had people like Greg Inglis and other Souths players posting to it to give them content. They had a promo video last year that was just awesome and to be honest, I've nicked a few ideas from them in the past. Probably the best run club in the North looking from the outside without seeing the bank books

FWIW OP I'd definitely reach out to the Knights or Kings and go to their sponsor bar, things like that are huge especially if you tell the manager while there.

You’ll have to post me a link because the ones on their website either don’t work or are trapped in 2017.

http://brooklynkingsrugby.com/

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

ATEOTD they are amateurs but even amateur teams elsewhere in the world can keep their websites up to speed.

I get they're amateur, but it only takes 5 mins to post something on Facebook/Twitter and it's free. 

2 hours ago, Deeeco said:

They have a Twitter account, and DP is right in saying that the most recent Tweet is from last year. I don't have a Facebook account, so I don't know if they are more current on that platform. Their website also has its most recent news item from 2017. If they are no longer using the website and Twitter, they should take the site down and close the Twitter account, as it gives a bad impression.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I get they're amateur, but it only takes 5 mins to post something on Facebook/Twitter and it's free. 

Some teams just don't have the man power or time. Running a club even half properly is a HUGE commitment and it just takes so much time out of your daily life.  Amateur clubs over here often have a community of 120 parents, coaches, people at the club.  It's a different world honestly

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They have a Twitter account, and DP is right in saying that the most recent Tweet is from last year. I don't have a Facebook account, so I don't know if they are more current on that platform. Their website also has its most recent news item from 2017.

It's one of those, if you have a resource you need to stretch it where it can be utilised best. Websites and forums like this are a dying breed to be honest, years ago these forums were chock full all the time and now I'd hazard the average poster is probably 35+ and one of the older generation.  There's nothing wrong with that but to use that Kings example, 4600 people or something follow them through that facebook hub, there might be 20 here if they're lucky? Not saying they shouldn't have up to date websites etc but if you've limited resources you target where you're strongest

2 minutes ago, Deeeco said:

Some teams just don't have the man power or time. Running a club even half properly is a HUGE commitment and it just takes so much time out of your daily life.  Amateur clubs over here often have a community of 120 parents, coaches, people at the club.  It's a different world honestly

I don't mean to sh## on you guys as I can only imagine how hard it is to grow the sport over there, but it just seems frustrating on the outside as the USARL seems to have gone backwards in the last few years from when it initially was set up. The clubs all seemed professionally run and organised, now there's barely any information and I had no idea DC and Rhode Island had gone as there was no mention of it at all. 

2 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I don't mean to sh## on you guys as I can only imagine how hard it is to grow the sport over there, but it just seems frustrating on the outside as the USARL seems to have gone backwards in the last few years from when it initially was set up. The clubs all seemed professionally run and organised, now there's barely any information and I had no idea DC and Rhode Island had gone as there was no mention of it at all. 

I won't go into details on here but USARL has a LOT of problems at the moment that it needs to work through and they've done extremely well to keep it out of the spotlight.  Reality is, remove the smoke and mirrors (bull....) the clubs left standing now are infinitely better run at ground level than they were five years ago and unfortunately some have been left behind and gone by the wayside. Frustration and USARL come hand in hand unfortunately but is it any worse than the problems currently between the RFL and Super League or the NRL and the RLIF? Rugby League seems to be built on power struggles and arguments and the USA Rugby League as a whole seems to roll from one to another 

2 minutes ago, Deeeco said:

I won't go into details on here but USARL has a LOT of problems at the moment that it needs to work through and they've done extremely well to keep it out of the spotlight.  Reality is, remove the smoke and mirrors (bull....) the clubs left standing now are infinitely better run at ground level than they were five years ago and unfortunately some have been left behind and gone by the wayside. Frustration and USARL come hand in hand unfortunately but is it any worse than the problems currently between the RFL and Super League or the NRL and the RLIF? Rugby League seems to be built on power struggles and arguments and the USA Rugby League as a whole seems to roll from one to another 

That's sad to hear. Hopefully good times will be around the corner again soon. 

Well thanks all for your advice. I've contacted both teams, let's see who answers first.

Apparently the Australian Pub is a big winner. They show live and delayed games of almost any Australian sport you can think of, well maybe not netball and field hockey, but still. Not the best beer choice, but at least they have more that just Fosters.

Now waiting for the official fixtures and the US TV times.

If USARL is not in a good shape, imagine the state of Canadian RL...

4 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Well thanks all for your advice. I've contacted both teams, let's see who answers first.

Apparently the Australian Pub is a big winner. They show live and delayed games of almost any Australian sport you can think of, well maybe not netball and field hockey, but still. Not the best beer choice, but at least they have more that just Fosters.

Now waiting for the official fixtures and the US TV times.

If USARL is not in a good shape, imagine the state of Canadian RL...

The times for the Super League games on Fox Soccer plus are usually 2.45pm Thursday and Friday and 10am for the Saturday game IF they show it

10 minutes ago, Deeeco said:

The times for the Super League games on Fox Soccer plus are usually 2.45pm Thursday and Friday and 10am for the Saturday game IF they show it

Do they still play on Thursday for the Super 8's?

9 hours ago, Deeeco said:

Here's their go to for Kings related updates etc

https://www.facebook.com/kingsrugbyleague/?ref=br_tf

I clicked that link and can see that the latest posts are very recent. Next question though is why is the FB link from the website not connected to the one above? I appreciate that it’s not your concern but I’m just trying to highlight how frustrating it is to use the official routes only to find that’s out of date and has been superseded by an account I don’t have easy access to.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived