The most funny "typical Rugby League" moments you've ever seen/heard

5 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Aye i remember them! Like weightlifting gloves?? Think the kick and clap brigade started that trend!

I had a pair of them. They were actually pretty good in dry conditions, especially if the grip on the ball was a bit worn, as was often the case in the Hull and District league. But as soon as they got a bit of water or mud on them they were worse than useless.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat in a pub in Stanmore before 1992 World Cup Final at Wembley. Three Hull FC fans come in to the bar

"Three pints of bitter love please"

They are then presented with three beautiful pints of flat warm Southern beer. One utters the classic

"What the bloody 'ell is that?"

She tells them the price and they lift their heads, and in unison cry

""Ow much??!??!"

One of the opposition players lost his boot in the Odsal mud. Bulls halfback Dean Carroll picked it up and carried it to the player. When he got a yard away he turned round and threw the boot to a point about twenty yards away.

On the home front. I played in a team where one bloke was so scruffy that he actually smelled pretty bad. In the dressing room before a game, he'd undress and finally place his baggy grey underpants on top of his other clothes. Nothing was said but there was a general panic about arriving late in case there was only one free space and you'd have to change next to him and hang your clothes on the peg next to his. 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Wakey v Widnes and an old Wakey supporter shouted, "get Offiah hammered, he's ######, he only scores tries".

Mick Naughton reffing at Belle Vue in response to the crowd cupped his hand to his ear to joke that he couldn't hear what they were saying, when a lone voice said " aye, and we know what made thee deaf".

I recall Brian Hogan, big prop of this parish .

Saw him and I think Big Jim Mills (I think) square up belly to belly (that was all honest) and quick as a flash Mills dropped to the floor like a sack of whelks. The ref turned round and having seen nothing, looked and sent Hogan off. Crestfallen was not in it.

Again with Hogan, I saw him one afternoon on TV, it was away, and he delivered, a bang to the rights, eye watering, total premeditated, stiff arm that decapitated his opponent. He was walking off before the pea was trembling in the refs whistle.  Anyway... later that evening a large group of up were around 2 or 3 tables in a jam rammed full packed pub. I was stood up to speak to someone and felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to look up, definitely up (!), and there was  big Brian himself. 'Are you using that chair?'  I gaped and remembered his departing shot earlier. Hmmm.  'Yes' was all I could think to say on the spur of the moment. He looked totally fed up with the world.   Looks could kill but he just left me with a departing disconsolate epithet. I stayed sat down for the rest of the evening.

As an aside I thought he was good on his feet as a player.

What was the televised match where two player slid feet first into each other and their studs locked together? The referee had to pull them apart.

It's been shown a few times, including the "what happened next?" round on A Question of Sport.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can remember being in a pub in Cardiff after one of the original magic weekends, the pub pretty much opposite the ground, which as you'd expect was heaving, when to my surprise Ian Lenaghan, all on his own, appeared on the opposite side of the bar to me. Surprisingly no one other than me seemed to recognise him. And just as he was about to order a drink a big lad in a Hull FC shirt strolled up beside me, looked across the bar and shouted, in all sincerity, "Bloody 'ell its Eric Pollard!".. Ian Lenaghan promptly left.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Ok not professional games, I know but in 2 games I played one of the posts was destroyed 

The first as with a post above blew down. It was decided that if any conversions or penalties were required at the post-less end then the ball would be taken to the posted end for the kick to  to be taken.  

This did happen; fortunately no penalty was taken after which the ball stayed in play. I don't know what would have happened then , don't think they thought that one out.

The other instance in a desperate  attempt to save a try a defender head butted a post causing it to lean towards the corner flag thus becoming separated from the crossbar which quivered on its one remaining joint with the other post

Dazed the defender struggled to his feet just in time for the crossbars remaining joint on the other post to give way causing it to fall and forcibly strike the defenders head.

Down he went again even more dazed than before, finally to be removed from the field on a stretcher

Fortunately he was not to badly hurt but did have 2 very large bumps on his head  

When Leeds played Leigh at Fev in the cup this year in the last minute or so of the game a Leeds player ran the ball on the last tackle and this woman stood in front of me went mental and called him a ###### retard (even though Leeds were 50 points up). Anyway this lad beside her goes "that's not very nice" and they get in an argument and she ends up punching this lad in the mouth. She looked about 50+ and he was in this 20s

3 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

When Leeds played Leigh at Fev in the cup this year in the last minute or so of the game a Leeds player ran the ball on the last tackle and this woman stood in front of me went mental and called him a ###### retard (even though Leeds were 50 points up). Anyway this lad beside her goes "that's not very nice" and they get in an argument and she ends up punching this lad in the mouth. She looked about 50+ and he was in this 20s

Wow which stand were you in??

4 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

The legend of Geoff Fletcher(ex Wigan/Huyton)... Apparently he used to wear a wig and hang it on his peg in the dressing room before a game. Legend has it that an opposition player nicked it and took the the field in it ?

?

It's true, it was Graham Swales of Huddersfield, he told us the tale whilst driving us to an away game , ironically, at Leigh :)

Played an U19 game years ago and one of the opposition decided to have a dig at one of our props, the referee saw it and blew for a penalty but turned away slightly as he signalled it, big mistake, our lad landed the head on the trouble starter flattening him then calmly set up for the shot at goal (yes a prop that kicked) while the lad was treated. Don't know if the ref worked out what happened but he looked absolutely flummoxed at the time 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

The saga of Stanley Gene, quite a lot of blackberries, Steve McNamara's Volvo and a copy of The Sun. If you've read Stanley's book, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. :biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

What was the televised match where two player slid feet first into each other and their studs locked together? The referee had to pull them apart.

It's been shown a few times, including the "what happened next?" round on A Question of Sport.

Not sure, can't remember a game when Billy Slater and Sam Tomkins will have been on opposite sides. Warrirs v Storm maybe?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Anyone remember that weird trend in about 1996 when loads of players started wearing plasters on their noses like Robbie Fowler? Was apparently some sort of breathing aid fad. Died out pretty quick!

Could write a load of these tales about Tim Street(hence the username). He used to cause carnage. He seemed to get sent off for something ridiculous every time i saw him play. I remember seeing one Leigh V Widnes game though at Hilton Park. Think it was in 1999. Top of the table clash.  Widnes had ex Leigh scrum half Jason Donahue pulling the strings for them at the time. Donahue was about half the size of Street and for some reason(prbably Street starting it) Donahue went nuts at him and punched him about 6 times in the head. Street for the first and possibly only time ever didn't retaliated and just held Donahues head like he was a child and started laughing. Straight red for Jason Donahue much to the Leigh faithfuls pleasure!

Fat hard nut props were the best! Big Brendan Hill from Halifax used to terrify me?

Breatherite strips .  https://www.breatheright.com/how-breathe-right-strips-work.html

54 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

The one behind the sticks where the houses are

it's open terrace at that end

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

In no particular order.

Every time Wakefield announce new ground 

Every time Castleford announce new ground

Former team mate who’s bad habits/party trick was in no particular order:

1 Inhaling a French letter which he then grabbed inside his mouth and flossed with it.

2 Exposing the number Number 8 cue ball that was attached by a Prince Albert, to his Albert.

3 Doing 1 and 2 at the same time.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

In the south stand at Headingley, England v France mid 80's one of my favourite players" Ellery Hanley at stand off. Now allegedly during the early part of his career at Northern he'd had a period out of the game due to incident involving some video recorders, anyway, from a scrum on that side of the pitch he receives a pass and this time his handling let's him down and he knocks on. A way in the crowd shout's "bet you wouldn't 'ave dropped it if it 'ad Panasonic written on it!

4 hours ago, donny donny said:

I was only young when this happened so I may have some facts wrong but back when Doncaster were the Dragons and played at Belle Vue there was a match, I can't remember who against, whereby strong stormy winds began to flow through the ground. These winds led to one set of rugby posts blowing down and snapping into half. Luckily this happened at half time, the ground announcer quickly sent out an announcement asking if anyone in the stadium had a hacksaw to repair the posts. 

Surprisingly someone did actually have a saw in their car boot so instead of waiting for the halftime draw the crowds was entertained by a hap hazard repair job on the fallen posts. They managed to fix them before the second half began, the only issue being that the cross bar was a good few feet lower than the opposing one.

It happen in 2003 against York City Knights. http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/7893461.Doncaster_Dragons_24__York_Knights_4/

First super league season when Workington Town played Wigan - Wigan fans chanted something about pride of the North-  Town fans started a chant - you soft southern Toxxers............??? - well its a 2.5 hour drive south for the marras....

Archived