Bit of help required re grassroots & schools rugby

Morning all.

I wonder if any of you good folk on here could help me with something?

The company I work for is tenatively looking to get involved with rugby league on a sponsorship level.

Being the token Wiganer in the company I am obviously seen as the fount of all knowledge.

HOWEVER - whilst I can help out on the obvious bits some of the information re grassroots level is a bit beyond me.

With that in mind, any answers anyone could provide to the following questions would be a huge help :

• Do any of the main teams have community sections that actively develop school links?
  • What are the main differences to how the game is taught at grass roots between union and league?
  • Are there any national initiatives to encourage youth engagement?
  • What coaching aids would community clubs look to purchase with funding upto £15k?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone on here can give me.

It would be much appreciated.

29 minutes ago, DarrenB said:

Morning all.

I wonder if any of you good folk on here could help me with something?

The company I work for is tenatively looking to get involved with rugby league on a sponsorship level.

Being the token Wiganer in the company I am obviously seen as the fount of all knowledge.

HOWEVER - whilst I can help out on the obvious bits some of the information re grassroots level is a bit beyond me.

With that in mind, any answers anyone could provide to the following questions would be a huge help :

• Do any of the main teams have community sections that actively develop school links?
  • What are the main differences to how the game is taught at grass roots between union and league?
  • What coaching aids would community clubs look to purchase with funding upto £15k?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone on here can give me.

It would be much appreciated.

i'd be guessing at much of the other 3 as its been a while since I was involved with Youth RL.. but I shall give it a go

My understanding is that pretty much all do... Warrington i believe have a very good community liason I would guess Wigan do to and most of the others. For example there is the Warrington Foundation but not sure if this is schools or just community.. give them a shout and see what they say

coaching Union through under8s, 9s, 10s and now into the 11s i would say I am not starting to have to learn (again) more union specific stuff as they add in some of the rules that are more union specific, scrums are becoming more competative, the ruck is now competative etc early days it was just touch and while there is no "play the ball" it is limited tackle etc. I play some league in training as it is faster and the kids get to use different skills, doing touch through the summer i have got them playing more of a league game just so that they arent always passing out of the tackle, our kids are great at offloading but they need to stop a little!

League wise when i coached it was similar to how union coached at 8 + 9 but its starts then to diverge slightly

I assume this is what you are meaning? 

Sky try springs to mind but i believe that is ending.. other than that not sure.. the RFL should have something as funding is linked to participation (or certainly was) from government etc but not sure 

depends what they already have but basics of cones, tackle shields, kit etc are an obvious group of things clubs often need.. posts for some will be needed but I would like to think loads could be spent on sending the right people on the right courses so they are not having to pay themselves which can often be the thing that puts people off volunteering.. 

hope this helps

15 minutes ago, DarrenB said:

RP - Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's certainly something to build on & given me some keywords to start googling if nothing else.

You're a good un.

Where's your company's HQ based? Are they looking for a local project?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, DarrenB said:

They're national based looking more towards a cup competition rather than a local project.

Does the Champion Schools tournament have a current sponsor?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived