Team names on forums

4 hours ago, Bulliac said:

In the UK it often depends on how it's written down. For instance we might write August the 4th 2018 but, if using figures, we'd never use the American 8/4/18, but always put 4/8/18, which to my mind is more logical - as in smallest to biggest DD/MM/YY. Sticking the day between the month and year seems totally counter intuitive to me.

I've taken to YYYY/MM/DD to avoid confusion as I'm often dealing with people in Canada, US, Mexico, UK, Poland, and India so it removes any ambiguity. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, The Canuck said:

I've taken to YYYY/MM/DD to avoid confusion as I'm often dealing with people in Canada, US, Mexico, UK, Poland, and India so it removes any ambiguity. 

So you’d write 2018/03/08. How do I know that’s the eighth of March rather than the third of August?

rldfsignature.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Canuck said:

That is a format that also lends itself well to the modern era of computers, as you can sort dates in YYYY/MM/DD easily in a document or spreadsheet.

It actually makes the most sense of all the options. It still looks a little alien to me, but I've been getting used to it recently.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

So you’d write 2018/03/08. How do I know that’s the eighth of March rather than the third of August?

Check the numbers; if one of the second or third sections goes over 12, then you know it's DD instead of MM.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It's a fairly standard format for file naming so there's not really any confusion around the order of things in my industry (software). It also makes searching and sorting for files easy as it will always sort correctly.

Just now, The Canuck said:

It's a fairly standard format for file naming so there's not really any confusion around the order of things in my industry (software). It also makes searching and sorting for files easy as it will always sort correctly.

Oh I’m not doubting your usage of it but IMO it can still be ambiguous.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, The Canuck said:

It is the ISO standard date format which is accepted as a standard across the globe. 

That may be true, but I can honestly say I have never seen a  date presented like that.

2 hours ago, The Canuck said:

It is the ISO standard date format which is accepted as a standard across the globe. 

Mind you, the ISO consider Monday to be the first day of the week, which is clearly wrong. But using a YYYY/MM/DD is a very sound method.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mind you, the ISO consider Monday to be the first day of the week, which is clearly wrong. But using a YYYY/MM/DD is a very sound method.

Steady on, Futtocks.  You could be getting into theologically choppy water here!

57 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Steady on, Futtocks.  You could be getting into theologically choppy water here!

I'm no Godbotherer but doesn't it say on the 7th day he rested? 

So in americanese Monday thru Saturday He gotten his chores done and rested Sunday.

Then there is the lack of "and" when quoting a number... one hundred twentyone. Instead of one hundred AND twenty one.

Question

Whilst thinking of an example of a number to quote I first came up with 101. Do they say one hunded one or do they add the "and" (a bit like the French add "et" to the first number after the zero)? Anyone know?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

No, that was because Harmison started the Ashes in Brissie with two sides in one over ? 

To be fair to Harmison, he clean-bowled an unsuspecting batsman with that delivery in Brisbane.

But that batsman was in Sri Lanka at the time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Bearman said:

Question

Whilst thinking of an example of a number to quote I first came up with 101. Do they say one hunded one or do they add the "and" (a bit like the French add "et" to the first number after the zero)? Anyone know?

Neither,  it's just one-oh-one :P

On 2 August 2018 at 10:07 AM, Yorkie44 said:

My biggest irrational bugbear is the usurping of the word ‘tea’. More and more people are calling their evening meal ‘dinner’, I’ve also noticed ‘lunch’ becoming more prevalent, which isn’t too bad but calling the great institution that is Dinnerladies, ‘lunchladies’ is unacceptable. As I said completely irrational and I suppose, regional but it’s the sad indication of the world becoming more generic even in language.

Finally! Someone else who shares one of my biggest gripes.

When I was at school, I took my dinner money in a small plastic tube (marked 'dinner money') to give to the dinner ladies when it was dinner time. When I got home from school my Mum would ask what I had for dinner, then start to make tea and if it was on TV we'd sit on the sofa and we'd all (as in my family, not the whole school) watch dinnerladies. On a Sunday we'd sometimes go to my grandparents for Sunday Dinner. If ever we had dinner at a posh restaurant we'd be given an after dinner mint.

I hate the word lunch. I'm sure it's a modern invention. My sister, a previously proud user of the word dinner, moved from Castleford to Croydon, and upon returning oop North introduced lunch to our vocabulary which was quickly taken up by my parents who now use the word in place of dinner all the time. 

I was recently invited to my friends house for dinner. Very working class family, call it as they see it, say owt instead of anything, ey up instead of hello etc. "Don't have owt to eat before cos we'll be avin a reet spread" they said. They were to let me know on the day itself what time to arrive. I skipped breakfast, anticipating the huge meal just after midday. It got to 1pm, still no text. It got to the afternoon - maybe they ate dinner late on a weekend. I was ravenous, but still resisted any food. It got to tea time (6pm) and I got a text: sorry, we had a big lunch and we are still stuffed, can we reschedule dinner for another time?

My heart sank.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Breakfast ... dinner ... tea . 

That's what I always feel. Tea was a main meal but relatively early.

Historically, thanks to origins of French, breakfast the first meal, was called dinner and was the biggest meal of the day, about noon. To add to that if you had a smaller meal later, it was called supper!

But over time earlier meals took place and was called breakfast. Other meals came in and another small meal was called lunch. The biggest meal was still called dinner.

If people want to be pedantic then whenever their largest meal is, they should call it Dinner. Tea time turned up when people got hungary waiting for their late dinner.

So coming all round in circles...   Us workers were famished after all that trouble ut mill, and scoffed our big meal at a time when others, the evil landlords and money lenders, were nibbling their high tea. Then whilst they were luxuriating over dinner and cigars we young poor waifs were having our left overs of supper of stale bread and jam, then sent up 4 to a bed topped and tailed.

(Jam, you will say. Luxury!!)

Archived