Hall of Fame

Seeing that there have just been more ‘immortals’ added to the Aussie list, I compared it with our Hall of Fame.  

We have 25 awarded versus 106.  Shocked we haven’t awarded more.  Selfishly, I’m amazed Johnny Whiteley isn’t in our HoF, for his career on the pitch and off it.  He has God like status in Hull.  Clive Sullivan, although passed away, likewise.  

I have no doubt, James Roby will get voted in at some point, yet the real forerunner of an attacking hooker was Tommy Harris.  Arguably another consideration.  

Edit: Bevan is in both Hall of Fames!

Ours is heavily biased towards backs, only 4 forwards, all loose forwards, not 1 prop or second row. Aus has 47 forwards.  

John Atkinson, Andy Gregory, Kevin Ward, John Joyner warrant consideration.  Sinfield, SB and James Graham in the future.

The awards have been hit and miss over the years.  I’m unsure of the actual criteria but surely we can consider more than a meagre 25.  

I don't know why this isn't a bigger deal - seeing if they couldn't kill two birds with one stone, why couldn't it could be built into the Challenge cup weekend? to try and give that weekend some of its magic back.

Put it on BBC2 or the iplayer on the Friday night, with a ceremony and speeches, special awards for contributors that never played the game. One in each position i.e. 1 fullback, 1 winger, 1 centre etc.

Put a 20 min highlight package in the build up to the game

54 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Other forwards extremely deserving of consideration:

Andy Farrell

Paul Sculthorpe

Gareth Ellis

Jamie Peacock

Dennis Betts

I think one of the criteria is they have to be finished from playing for at least 5 years.  

The NRL intend to induct the Famers every year.  IMO that’s too much but ours have been nominated 1988, 89, 200, 2005, 2013/14 & 15.  It’s a bit ad hoc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_Hall_of_Fame

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortals_(rugby_league)

Just now, Lowdesert said:

I think one of the criteria is they have to be finished from playing for at least 5 years.  

The NRL intend to induct the Famers every year.  IMO that’s too much but ours have been nominated 1988, 89, 200, 2005, 2013/14 & 15.  It’s a bit ad hoc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_Hall_of_Fame

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortals_(rugby_league)

Yes, I think that's the case, but there are 3 on the list I proposed that have been finished for at least 5 years.

We don't make enough of this.

40 minutes ago, Markos said:

I don't know why this isn't a bigger deal - seeing if they couldn't kill two birds with one stone, why couldn't it could be built into the Challenge cup weekend? to try and give that weekend some of its magic back.

Put it on BBC2 or the iplayer on the Friday night, with a ceremony and speeches, special awards for contributors that never played the game. One in each position i.e. 1 fullback, 1 winger, 1 centre etc.

Put a 20 min highlight package in the build up to the game

I like this idea. And why not make the inductees the trophy presenters / guests of honour? If you have done a highlight package, as you say, it makes sense to the viewer and shows off our heritage.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Yes, I think that's the case, but there are 3 on the list I proposed that have been finished for at least 5 years.

We don't make enough of this.

Not challenging the choices Jim.  All good.

The RFL often mention legacy & heritage, but just 25 players remembered for their impact, services, playing prowess over 100 years doesn’t really do justice to a lot of players. 

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived