Celebrities/famous people that like RL

Any plans for marketing RL ought to include the possibility of using some famous people to help promote the game. I just wondered who out there has expressed a love or interest in the sport, and whether they like a specific team?

I know of:

Johnny Vegas - St Helens

Stuart Pearce - Warrington

Who else have we got on our side? Has anyone had the thought of using someone like Stuart Pearce to promote RL in London? Even if it was just his face on a few posters or whatever. If England play the Australians in London in 2020 - which I hope we do as the 1st test of an Ashes Series - Pearce would be a great choice to front the campaign to attract fans in London.

Bradley Wiggins have been seen at Wigan (should it be 'Wiggin')

Then theres' that comedian guy, Adam Hills, who actually plays disabled RL. Is he 'famous'?

Wasn't Wayne Rooney meant to be a big RL fan?

I'm sure there are loads more..

48 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Bradley Wiggins have been seen at Wigan (should it be 'Wiggin')

Then theres' that comedian guy, Adam Hills, who actually plays disabled RL. Is he 'famous'?

Wasn't Wayne Rooney meant to be a big RL fan?

I'm sure there are loads more..

I remember a Wayne Rooney press conference when he was asked what he'd been making of the rugby union world cup. His reply was "haven't a clue mate, i've been watching the rugby league." I enjoyed that!

I'm not a Manchester United fan but i definitely remember hearing one of their players mention that a number of their players watched a lot of RL, including on the team coach after away games in the days when there was often an early Saturday evening Super League game on Sky. There was a mention that they admired the athleticism of the players.

I'm sure Rooney, Giggs and Scholes were amongst the names mentioned and Gary Neville and Ferdinand are ringing a vague bell too though i'm less certain about those two. I guess one of them must have said it as well but i can't for the life of me remember who, it was some years ago.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

He's certainly a celebrity, and he doesn't just support the game, he plays it in the PDRL. One of his co-presenters, Alex Brooker, has turned out for Leeds against Adam.

Ironically, as a Souths fan, Hills will be playing against them for Warrington in the PDRL World Club Challenge.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From cricket, Johnny Bairstow appears to be a fan, and Ben Stokes has RL in his DNA as the son of Ged.

Leeds' Olympic champion boxer Boxer Nicola Adams is apparently a fan of the Rhinos.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hugh Jackman apparently supports Manly. The poor lad.

Former F1 driver Mark Webber supports Canberra and was once a ball boy for the Raiders.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As for thespians, both Peter O'Toole and Maxine Peake played RL in their younger days.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

George Michael had a season ticket at London Broncos in the 90’s but got rid when they moved to the Stoop. 

Apparently he did the same when Club Tropicana started charging for drinks.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I considered him but frankly he never really was that famous 

Bit harsh on Duncan Preston, PW71.  I think he could have been said to be famous in Victoria Woods' heyday; he was always one of her 'team'.

Bernard Hepton's obituary in "The Times" the other day said he enjoyed watching RL.  I also discovered from that source that his real surname was 'Heptonstall'.

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Bit harsh on Duncan Preston, PW71.  I think he could have been said to be famous in Victoria Woods' heyday; he was always one of her 'team'.

Yeah, I guess so. 

I quite often would see him at Odsal and think of 'Acorn Antiques'. Almost expected Mrs Overall come around the corner with a tea tray!

2 hours ago, Yakkers said:

I remember a Wayne Rooney press conference when he was asked what he'd been making of the rugby union world cup. His reply was "haven't a clue mate, i've been watching the rugby league." I enjoyed that!

I'm not a Manchester United fan but i definitely remember hearing one of their players mention that a number of their players watched a lot of RL, including on the team coach after away games in the days when there was often an early Saturday evening Super League game on Sky. There was a mention that they admired the athleticism of the players.

I'm sure Rooney, Giggs and Scholes were amongst the names mentioned and Gary Neville and Ferdinand are ringing a vague bell too though i'm less certain about those two. I guess one of them must have said it as well but i can't for the life of me remember who, it was some years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2153628/Rio-Ferdinand-dances-Wigan-Warriors-dressing-room-win-Leeds-Rhinos.html

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived