Jet 2 should be ashamed

45 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Seems there are no good airlines these days.  Appaling stuff all around.

Here we go again. Single - clearly unacceptable - incident, which was quite clearly an admin screw-up by the airline in not sending details through to the foreign airport staff, gets blown all over the media.  And we have folk calling - in this case Jet2 - all sorts of things. I guess, like referees, they are not allowed to ever screw up?  At least, unlike most referees (Ganson was a very honourable exception) they quickly apologised.

FWIW (and with no vested interest whatsoever) we have found Jet2 to be easily the best budget airline for customer service (and a lot else).  And (since we have usually tried to book the extra legroom (and gutroom...) seats right next to the doors, on most flights we have seen staff helping on board passengers with various disabilities.  Never once have we seen them be anything other than excellent with the passengers.  Same in the departure lounges.  Maybe our observations are atypical, but whilst in no way seeking to decry or minimise the trauma this screw-up caused to those affected, I don't see what benefit such IMO OTT reactions to a clear, but seemingly isolated, screw-up serve?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

When Thomas Cook pulled out of Bradford, Jet 2 took on a lot of the redundant staff. I have a friend who was retained by Thomas Cook but says most of the former colleagues that were recruited are happy at Jet 2.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

11 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Here we go again. Single - clearly unacceptable - incident, which was quite clearly an admin screw-up by the airline in not sending details through to the foreign airport staff, gets blown all over the media.  And we have folk calling - in this case Jet2 - all sorts of things. I guess, like referees, they are not allowed to ever screw up?  At least, unlike most referees (Ganson was a very honourable exception) they quickly apologised.

FWIW (and with no vested interest whatsoever) we have found Jet2 to be easily the best budget airline for customer service (and a lot else).  And (since we have usually tried to book the extra legroom (and gutroom...) seats right next to the doors, on most flights we have seen staff helping on board passengers with various disabilities.  Never once have we seen them be anything other than excellent with the passengers.  Same in the departure lounges.  Maybe our observations are atypical, but whilst in no way seeking to decry or minimise the trauma this screw-up caused to those affected, I don't see what benefit such IMO OTT reactions to a clear, but seemingly isolated, screw-up serve?

Unfortunately it's the way of the world/country today. 

29 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

I think is the subsequent reaction of Jet2 that is the issue. Derisory compensation for the distress caused by Jet2.

This is my industry and in defence of Jet2, it clearly a massive balls up.  Knowing all of the management team at both the airline and tour operator, they will be absolutely mortified at this.

This is not what they do. Many of my customers have health issues and/or disabilities and Jet2 have always fallen over themselves to make sure these customers have a great experience.

In ten years dealing with Jet2, I can honestly say that they are head and shoulders above all the other airlines and tour operators in the industry.

26 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

27 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Agree with the above and although I feel sorry for the lad and his family, these things do happen unfourtanetly. Being disabled myself(although a "hidden disability") I know these things can happen...and im not condoning it, just saying it does. Out of all the airlines ive flown with, I have to say Jet 2 have probably been the most helpfull from booking to actualy arriving at my destination. Another thing in the article the mother is saying how the boy dosent like being the centre of attention etc, yet she is quick enough to go running to the papers and stick it all over her blog...sorry I dont get it? (prepares bunker and dons tin hat!)

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I think is the subsequent reaction of Jet2 that is the issue. Derisory compensation for the distress caused by Jet2.

Are you suggesting the "derisory compensation" was the reason they gave (can't imagine they sold) the story to the media (or blogged it so it could be picked up)?  In the face of Jack (as stated by his mother) not liking being centre of attention, which of course he now is - massively so?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

25 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

Agree with the above and although I feel sorry for the lad and his family, these things do happen unfourtanetly. Being disabled myself(although a "hidden disability") I know these things can happen...and im not condoning it, just saying it does. Out of all the airlines ive flown with, I have to say Jet 2 have probably been the most helpfull from booking to actualy arriving at my destination. Another thing in the article the mother is saying how the boy dosent like being the centre of attention etc, yet she is quick enough to go running to the papers and stick it all over her blog...sorry I dont get it? (prepares bunker and dons tin hat!)

....and that too is also the way of the world/country today.

33 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Are you suggesting the "derisory compensation" was the reason they gave (can't imagine they sold) the story to the media (or blogged it so it could be picked up)?  In the face of Jack (as stated by his mother) not liking being centre of attention, which of course he now is - massively so?

My opinion is that the compensation they offered for the distress caused by their mistake was derisory.  

My opinion is that I am not alone in that view

I am hoping you are all aware that this 'incident'/disgrace occurred to the lad about whom Joining Jack was formed - for the benefit of other individuals with the health problem.

The mother went public on behalf of other people  - after her son had a meltdown.

The understandable distress was caused by the paid staff holding the conversation and saying the wrong things in a public area.

I found the story last night on Twitter.

I am in full agreement with the conduct of the caring parent - mother.

https://joiningjack.org/

** I have a grandson finally diagnosed with cerebral palsy and autism - not noticeable on first sight by most people **

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Adeybull said:

I doubt writing on the internet or tweeting jet 2 will affect Jack? Yet being at a airport check in desk being asked to prove your disabled  before you can get on a flight might do?? Just a thought...

how does a company which got told on numerous occasions that a boy with a disability is flying  ‘forget ‘ to let the airport know he is coming?? 

f3gms4.jpg

The centre of attention thing is more about Jack being the centre of attention at the actual airport with people around him.

Being the centre of attention in the media probably means very little to Jack.

It is obviously a major cock-up by Jet2, they would be wise to make a substantial donation to joining Jack as an offer of compensation and give the family a free holiday to a European destination of their choice.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This whole thread pretty much sums up TotalRL for me these days.

No wonder that your forum is dying.

We have State of Origin match threads... Not allowed on here - relegated to the Australian sub forum. SOO is the biggest Rugby League match in the world this year.

We have guys switching codes (some of our sport's best athletes) relegated to the cross code forum.

We have international games between world 4 and 5 rankedTonga and Samoa relegated (bizarrely) to a generic match thread on the "Australian" (!) forum....

Yet we get irrelevant guff like this ( and it is irrelevant to Rugby League) and minor international stuff like Ukraine or whoever popping up on the main forum!!

Joining Jack is a worthwhile cause, and the Rugby League guys do a great job (by playing union) to raise money for it. However - this story has absolutely nothing to do with Rugby League. The guy who has started the thread has never been to a Rugby League game in his life, and has never (AFAIK) even started a thread about Rugby League before.

Seriously... I have often more active Rugby League chat on union forums! This vehicle appears to be stagnating every time I stick my head in, due mainly to ludicrous ly officious moderating. 

I have been posting since 2002 and frankly stuff like this just highlights how a once great forum has fallen away.

No wonder it is dying.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

6 hours ago, Celt said:

We have State of Origin match threads... Not allowed on here - relegated to the Australian sub forum. SOO is the biggest Rugby League match in the world this year.

We have guys switching codes (some of our sport's best athletes) relegated to the cross code forum.

We have international games between world 4 and 5 rankedTonga and Samoa relegated (bizarrely) to a generic match thread on the "Australian" (!) forum....

Yet we get irrelevant guff like this ( and it is irrelevant to Rugby League) and minor international stuff like Ukraine or whoever popping up on the main forum!!

Joining Jack is a worthwhile cause, and the Rugby League guys do a great job (by playing union) to raise money for it. However - this story has absolutely nothing to do with Rugby League. The guy who has started the thread has never been to a Rugby League game in his life, and has never (AFAIK) even started a thread about Rugby League before.

Seriously... I have often more active Rugby League chat on union forums! This vehicle appears to be stagnating every time I stick my head in, due mainly to ludicrous ly officious moderating. 

I have been posting since 2002 and frankly stuff like this just highlights how a once great forum has fallen away.

No wonder it is dying.

Thanks for pointing out I’ve never been to a Rugby League match in my life, which of course I haven’t apart from Eastern Suburbs in Sydney in 1982/3 that’s where I met Noel Cleal.  Oh and magic weekend, tri nations, other England international matches,  harlequins and Wakefield super league matches.

i must have dreamed meeting johnoco, Johnm, gingerjon, number 16, Yorkshire pie and others at various matches.

I probably imagined playing those games for Southampton Spitfires, although that was a few years ago.

congratulations on proving what “genuine RL fan” you are and bringing some misery and negativity to the party and making yourself look bitter and ill informed.

Didn't know we had so many Jet2 staffers on here.

It's a very sad incident. I am pleased to hear that it sounds like it is the exception rather than the rule, but I have no problem with it being highlighted by the press because that's usually what ensures it doesn't happen again.

The ad hominem attack by Celt above is just embarrassing to us all really.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I had an awful experience with a jumped up Jet2 check in person last year who was completely in the wrong but just wouldn't admit it until her manager forced her to. I would be very wary of flying with them again. Others on here seem to think they are great so as usual it all depends on your personal experience. 

This with Jack Johnston seems more like an admin error, which happens, but its how the said error is handled which is the issue. As always unless you are there its hard to know exactly what has happened but it certainly doesn't sound like the initial error was handled well. 

I think the wider point is the airport/airlines industries general treatment of people with disabilities, which is very poor. A number of airports have been criticising in a recent report - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44807283

Whilst many, I am pleased to see, have reported positive experiences with Jet2, the fact is that this family did not have a positive experience, and they are within their rights to criticise.

I do agree with earlier views that there is a contradiction with the view that Jack felt humiliated and subsequently publishing the story to the national news. It's probably not something I would have done in the situation, but that's down to the individual. 

It shouldn't be this way, but complaining, making the maximum amount of fuss and publishing incidents like this one is the best way of ensuring that such an incident is not repeated.

I assume that the reason that the family chose to go public is because next time they fly with Jet2, this means the likelihood of an incident being repeated is minimised, and the spotlight will shortly diminish. 

If that's what is needed to drive up the substandard way in which disabled travellers are treated, then that's not a bad thing in my view.

My wife doesn't like flying but is able to accept the treatment airlines dish out, I hate traveling with airlines because of the rubbish way they treat everyone. When I hear admin error I see airline abuse of passengers. So this type story at ours is one we both expect and/or are never surprised by.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 hours ago, Celt said:

No wonder it is dying.

What a baffling contribution.

First up, with my 'ludicrously officious moderating' hat on, it's off topic anyway!

If you want to moan about the forum, start a new thread and moan about the forum. Then you can maybe start another one to complain about all the moaning on the forum...

The reason this thread was left on here is no one has reported it to suggest it should be moved elsewhere and also it's about a young lad well known in RL circles who has lots of high profile RL players supporting his charity and clearly lots of RL fans are interested in the subject judging by the responses. Where would you want it moved to, or have you just decided it isn't worthy of discussion at all (which would be ludicrously officious, in my view).

In any case, no one is under any obligation to contribute to any thread anywhere on TRL. If it isn't of interest, just ignore it and read something else, or start a thread of your own.

Which brings me onto the daft claim that threads on Origin or internationals are 'relegated' elsewhere. They're not relegated anywhere. The Aussie game and the International game have their own dedicated forums, but if anyone wants to discuss Aussie or International stuff here, as they frequently do, we rarely if ever bother to move such threads.

For background, the reason TRL has an international forum is because when it didn't, people used to complain that international threads were swamped by domestic threads and disappeared too quickly off the front page. The reason it has an Aussie forum is because TRL merged with another site many years ago, and it was part of the other site, and the majority of people who used that forum wanted to keep it, so we kept it.

Cross-code stuff we do move, and for a good reason. If we don't, history and bitter experience has showed us we end up with a load of union trolls registering to argue the toss, and everyone loses when that happens. That's why the cross-code forum is hidden to non-members. If you can't handle that, well, there are loads of other places on the internet where you can do battle with trolls to your hearts content, but this will never be one of them. Sorry (not sorry).

Finally, TRL isn't dying. It's more popular than ever, I'm happy to say >> https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/totalrl.com

Now, after that brief interlude, back on topic, please, and if anyone wants to respond to my comments above, you can either PM me or start a new thread, but don't drag this one any further off topic, thanks.

Archived