Rowe, Davey, Farrell and Crookes

TheBritishBulldog

Just heard we have told Alex Rowe, James Davey, Joel Farrell and Jason Crookes we will not be renewing their deals for next season. Not because they are off elsewhere but because Diskin simply doesn't want them. We have told the players this, this week. We have confirmed the renewal of 1 contract for next season.

This season we finished on 16 points, less than half of what Halifax got. Our squad isn't half as good as theirs but our coach certainly is. Yes we finished 7th but we could have achieved that with Josh Barlow as our head coach.

As a supporter I am left asking myself one question do our players still have confidence in Matt Diskin as our coach?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Eric Bristow said:

The only one of those I would be truly disappointed about losing is Davey. 

I've heard that Walker is also to be released. If true, that'd be absolutely baffling. 

Given the strong rumours Day and Harrisn are off and not knowing whether Breth will play on I'm particularly annoyed about Farrell. I don't think there are that many better SRs out there at worse clubs that we can afford

It's the lack of planning Im most concerned about tho. You compare this to Kear's last year when everyone had signed 2 year deals before 8s to now where we've announced 1 renewal.

Did you hear this from a player or his milkman's sister's best friend's brother?

There are lots or rumours going around about players who aren't being retained, gong to Bradford/Wigan/NRL/Keighley, but that is all that they are - rumours. Clubs don't yet know what they will be playing for next season nor what their budgets are going to be, hence they can't firmly decide who they plan to retain/release. Only a fool would tell a player that he isn't going to be retained whilst still having seven games to play, even if that were the plan.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

i'm sure i read on here that there at least 6 players tied down for next season and as above only Davey and Faz will be missed ,Rowey has played well this season but is at back end of his career and we don't know who we have signed on from other clubs yet.. so maybe lets wait and see and then start complaining if we don't sign on players that are at least as good if not better as the ones been released

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Did you hear this from a player or his milkman's sister's best friend's brother?

There are lots or rumours going around about players who aren't being retained, gong to Bradford/Wigan/NRL/Keighley, but that is all that they are - rumours. Clubs don't yet know what they will be playing for next season nor what their budgets are going to be, hence they can't firmly decide who they plan to retain/release. Only a fool would tell a player that he isn't going to be retained whilst still having seven games to play, even if that were the plan.

From a player

well whoever gets faz will have a cracking player that always gives 100% game after game, one of our best signings for years and i will miss the fella if its all true, am sure diskin will have lots of players to check out for 2019 so i will wait and see whos new to the mount.

48 minutes ago, stevieb said:

yet again , if this is true, it is a sure sign of an incompitent so called coach

And if it isn't?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Rumours as usual.

Unfortunately the club chooses not to be open about these decisions, so all we have to go on are .... rumours. More often than not they are true.

These head coach decisions mean nothing other than there is a lot of recruitment to do for next year. Their replacements will no doubt be of much higher quality - let’s hope so.

It seems that apparently good and capable players are moving on and a poor under—performing coach is staying. From a fans paying point of view this looks stupid. 

Principles eh?

I guess we either believe that there is a plan behind this or we believe that this coach has so far delivered very little and will continue to do so.

They apparently don’t even let him talk to the press now because Danny Maun does a better job ( he does).

3 hours ago, redditchbulldog said:

i'm sure i read on here that there at least 6 players tied down for next season and as above only Davey and Faz will be missed ,Rowey has played well this season but is at back end of his career and we don't know who we have signed on from other clubs yet.. so maybe lets wait and see and then start complaining if we don't sign on players that are at least as good if not better as the ones been released

Five have extended for 2019 so far

Dane Manning,

Dom Brambani,

Tom Lillycrop,

Adam Gledhill,

Lewis Galbraith,

IMG_0583.JPG

Shocking if Farrell has to go, but not surprised with any cock-eyed decision Diskin comes up with. He's the guy who should be first on the 'out' list. I do hope Day and Harrison are making upward not sideways moves, going to another championship club would be a waste. Centres; if Crookes is off, that leaves Smeaton so hope Cowling recovers and us kept, best of the lot, byt that leaves us short of wing cover, don't suppose coach will agree. Walker going?MAYBE we're keeping JOUFRET, offering him good money!! (Ha). Desperation strikes.

Crookes has been brilliant since joining from dewsbury I'm looking forward to seeing him next to Campbell in the next few weeks... 

I'd get rid of smeaton for Galbraith and we could have a good set of backs... If we get rid/lose Jimmy Davey then we are nuts he changes the game reminds of Mark cass, 

Extended Brambani's contract? Heard he was to be released. Leak wants more money so guess we are paying it to keep him or are two hookers down. Rowe really upped his game after losing the 10 shirt but I bet all folk see are injuries that let him in. Crookes as always done as asked of him but was signed as a filler inner, no disrespect to him. Davey isn't my kind of hooker so a bit indifferent on his departure. Faz is the big shock after all,the discomfort shall we call it, he is a bloody good player. I said that to Morrison a few years back when Joel was angrier than ever. He really could be in SL if he fixed up.

17 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

actually, they do tell them early as to give the players agents time to find new clubs for the new season

5 hours ago, stevieb said:

actually, they do tell them early as to give the players agents time to find new clubs for the new season

Championship clubs can't approach players contracted to other Championship clubs until September 1st I believe, so there is plenty of time to get fixed up.

And don't forget about Scott who signed an extension last year until the end of 2019, I was talking to him in Manchester airport on our way to Toronto.

When looking through the players we have I've always thought I'd keep him for next season etc. But the truth of it is we've not done well this season. I'm not a fan of Diskin, don't know him etc. but he has played at a level that non of our players ever have and the BOD always will back the coach. Having said that if we don't have a better season next year I think he should step aside. It will be even tougher to get above 7th next season too. I like all the players mentioned in the topic with the exception of Farrell this season who although still a good player hasn't made the impact and breaks he did in previous. Crookes has been outstanding in my opinion and is the one player I think deserves a place next season.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I seem to remember that we pushed the financial envelope last year in the hope of having a good season.  It may be that we are now having to cut back on our spending and it may be that some difficult choices are having to be made. This is, of course, speculation on my part.

I’ll be sad if Crookes goes, I like the effort and work he puts in week in, week out. Always a danger near the line, IMO. Not a fan of Alex Rowe so will shed no tears if he leaves, but that’s a more personal issue than the way he performs on the pitch, if I’m honest. 

Again, I’ll be sad if Harrison and Day leave, but can have no complaints if they are going on to bigger and better things. 

With Bradford and York likely to come up, I really fear for us next season unless we bring in some quality. 

Given his performance against Swinton, Jouffret looks like a player we need to retain. However, the likelihood is that he'll end up at Bradford with Kear if he continues to impress over the next few weeks. 

Brad Day and Harrison are very likely to be on their bike. That's two quality players we'll struggle to replace just for starters. 

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Championship clubs can't approach players contracted to other Championship clubs until September 1st I believe, so there is plenty of time to get fixed up.

True for part time players, and clubs have until 31st August to inform current (PT) players whether they are going to offer a new/extended contract or not or are not in a position to make an offer.

Archived