West Wales 6, Hunslet 86

Hawkwindbag

No Watson, Southernwood, Haley, Mackay or Ashton and a 540 mile round day trip, and yet we still equalled our club record win against 14-man West Wales. And it looked like being a lot more after 25 minutes too; but (thankfully in many respects) Raiders managed to pull together for fifteen minutes, stop the flow and even scored arguably the try of the match. First fifteen of the second half was our weekly period of playing like chumps but the other 50 minutes or so we scored at a rate of over a 1.5 points a minute.

West Wales is undoubtedly the oddest club I can ever remember; on arriving in Llanelli the ground and clubhouse look smart, tidy and well kept, perfect for hosting semi-pro RL. It is well-staffed and the lady on the (crystal clear) PA assiduously stuck to the task of announcing the 15 tryscorers (+1 for WW) got and every one of them right!

Then there's the playing aspect; despite making several new signings this week they were only able to field 14 players (something to do with an international tournament apparently); no club doctor was available and Hunslet had been asked to bring theirs; the players seen drinking in the bar BEFORE the match; and the players sauntering back to half-way for the restart - even after the very first try - made it clear they were in no mental state to win this match.

The guy from Melbourne taking over the coaching reins next year must have the hardest job in RL ahead of him; transforming the culture as well as the skill and quality of the squad. Meanwhile the RFL has to look at minimum standards and ensuring they are being fulfilled. I sincerely hope Raiders are able to meet them in the near future.

8 hours ago, Hawkwindbag said:

No Watson, Southernwood, Haley, Mackay or Ashton and a 540 mile round day trip, and yet we still equalled our club record win against 14-man West Wales. And it looked like being a lot more after 25 minutes too; but (thankfully in many respects) Raiders managed to pull together for fifteen minutes, stop the flow and even scored arguably the try of the match. First fifteen of the second half was our weekly period of playing like chumps but the other 50 minutes or so we scored at a rate of over a 1.5 points a minute.

West Wales is undoubtedly the oddest club I can ever remember; on arriving in Llanelli the ground and clubhouse look smart, tidy and well kept, perfect for hosting semi-pro RL. It is well-staffed and the lady on the (crystal clear) PA assiduously stuck to the task of announcing the 15 tryscorers (+1 for WW) got and every one of them right!

Then there's the playing aspect; despite making several new signings this week they were only able to field 14 players (something to do with an international tournament apparently); no club doctor was available and Hunslet had been asked to bring theirs; the players seen drinking in the bar BEFORE the match; and the players sauntering back to half-way for the restart - even after the very first try - made it clear they were in no mental state to win this match.

The guy from Melbourne taking over the coaching reins next year must have the hardest job in RL ahead of him; transforming the culture as well as the skill and quality of the squad. Meanwhile the RFL has to look at minimum standards and ensuring they are being fulfilled. I sincerely hope Raiders are able to meet them in the near future.

Only 13 players on a very humid afternoon.They should have been sprinting back shouldn't they?  That would have helped.

The doctor arrived late.

Was it all the imaginary players drinking prior to the game or are you just keeping the names a secret?

Having alcoholic drinks,which makes the body sweat,does seem slightly foolish,on a warm day.Having cold drinks,seems much more sensible.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

well i for one enjoyed our long coach trip. and we had a warm welcome from friendly bar staff. the ball boys were a credit too. a pitch to die for this time of the hottest year in decades. and west wales did only have 13 players. no subs were on the bench.. west wales raiders for 80 long minutes and the injury time never let heads down. played in good spirit.. i for 1 hope raiders continue and in time prosper and climb the table in years to come. just need to stick to 1 base and make it your home

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, Angelic Cynic said:

Only 13 players on a very humid afternoon.They should have been sprinting back shouldn't they?  That would have helped.

The doctor arrived late.

Was it all the imaginary players drinking prior to the game or are you just keeping the names a secret?

Having alcoholic drinks,which makes the body sweat,does seem slightly foolish,on a warm day.Having cold drinks,seems much more sensible.

Thanks for the reply AC. I took no pleasure in writing that paragraph and made sure I firstly made mention of the positives I saw on Saturday, which I hope you noted. Nor did I make any statement to the effect that I didn't enjoy the day, or it was a waste of time and/or money, or Raiders should be thrown out of the league. However I have been coming on here with post-match comments for many years and my 'golden rule' is to call it as I see it, otherwise I'm lying to myself and anyone who reads my posts.

Despite the explanations put forward about Raiders not been able to name a full complement it is still insufficient to just declare "well that's all we have" and tell them to get on with it. Apart from the simple fact that it looks disorganised and unprofessional:

- it is not fair on the 13 who do take to the field to whom there is a duty of care but are given no latitude to cover for injury or option to rest - especially for the lads upfront in the 'engine room' 
- it is not fair on the spectators who pay to watch a match with both sides competing on equal terms
- it is not fair on Oldham. Doncaster, Workington and Whitehaven, the teams with whom we are engaged in a very close battle for the three remaining play off places and quite rightly expect Hunslet's opponents to do their utmost to maximise their chances of winning and stop Hunslet taking the points - just as we do with their opponents

Regarding the doctor, it would be true to say that unless Hunslet had agreed and arranged to provide theirs then the match would have been called off - which was a distinct possibility, we were told, when I arrived at the ground at around 2.30 and the doctor - making his own way down by car for which we owe him many thanks btw - had not arrived. Thankfully he did arrive and the match was able to kick off 15 minutes late - otherwise the 50 or so Hunslet fans who travelled would have had a wasted journey and the comments would have been far, far worse! 

But anyway, best wishes for the rest of the season, but I think more importantly beyond; I'm an expansionist at heart (though not at the expense of traditional clubs; that's not expansion, that's replacement) and I very much hope next season (if we don't get promoted) I am able to come on here and talk about a competitive match, played in front of a good crowd with two squads of 17 players, which kicked off on time. All the best.

3 minutes ago, FRISKY FILLY said:

SOME GREAT POSTS--BUT

WHO PLAYED FULL BACK FOR HUNSLET?

I UNDER STAND IT WAS A LAD CALLED BREARLEY WHO PLAYED FOR YORK LAST SEASON- JUST WANT TO KNOW A B IT ABOUT HIM

Stop shouting Frisky!!! :unsure:

Yes Tommy Brierley played full-back and did OK. He actually played for us a few times last season, on the wing. Duffy played on the 'problem' wing on the right and Chappell played at stand-off with Sanderson moving up to 7, so the backs had quite a lot of upheaval and chopping and changing to contend with.

1 hour ago, Hawkwindbag said:

Thanks for the reply AC. I took no pleasure in writing that paragraph and made sure I firstly made mention of the positives I saw on Saturday, which I hope you noted. Nor did I make any statement to the effect that I didn't enjoy the day, or it was a waste of time and/or money, or Raiders should be thrown out of the league. However I have been coming on here with post-match comments for many years and my 'golden rule' is to call it as I see it, otherwise I'm lying to myself and anyone who reads my posts.

Despite the explanations put forward about Raiders not been able to name a full complement it is still insufficient to just declare "well that's all we have" and tell them to get on with it. Apart from the simple fact that it looks disorganised and unprofessional:

- it is not fair on the 13 who do take to the field to whom there is a duty of care but are given no latitude to cover for injury or option to rest - especially for the lads upfront in the 'engine room' 
- it is not fair on the spectators who pay to watch a match with both sides competing on equal terms
- it is not fair on Oldham. Doncaster, Workington and Whitehaven, the teams with whom we are engaged in a very close battle for the three remaining play off places and quite rightly expect Hunslet's opponents to do their utmost to maximise their chances of winning and stop Hunslet taking the points - just as we do with their opponents

Regarding the doctor, it would be true to say that unless Hunslet had agreed and arranged to provide theirs then the match would have been called off - which was a distinct possibility, we were told, when I arrived at the ground at around 2.30 and the doctor - making his own way down by car for which we owe him many thanks btw - had not arrived. Thankfully he did arrive and the match was able to kick off 15 minutes late - otherwise the 50 or so Hunslet fans who travelled would have had a wasted journey and the comments would have been far, far worse! 

But anyway, best wishes for the rest of the season, but I think more importantly beyond; I'm an expansionist at heart (though not at the expense of traditional clubs; that's not expansion, that's replacement) and I very much hope next season (if we don't get promoted) I am able to come on here and talk about a competitive match, played in front of a good crowd with two squads of 17 players, which kicked off on time. All the best.

Thanks for taking the time to post - and for the encouraging words contained.

I am intrigued,debilitated,by the never ending criticism,and defeats,but after the statements about players drinking prior to the game,if you arrived at 2.30pm that was the time the players were warming-up.

I don't want to labour the point,or mention it again,but you didn't identify the players - some of our injured players came to support their teammates and they were wearing club merchandise,could it be them? ) and it seems absurd that the players about to take the field  would drink alcohol in the bar at the stadium.

With the majority of players living many miles east of Llanelli,and drive to the stadium,the suggestion of players drinking becomes even more ludicrous.

We could just leave it at me wishing your players,and supporters,all the best for the remainder of this campaign and good luck in the play-offs,as I feel you will be in the Top 5 come the end of the season.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Thanks for taking the time to post - and for the encouraging words contained.

I am intrigued,debilitated,by the never ending criticism,and defeats,but after the statements about players drinking prior to the game,if you arrived at 2.30pm that was the time the players were warming-up.

I don't want to labour the point,or mention it again,but you didn't identify the players - some of our injured players came to support their teammates and they were wearing club merchandise,could it be them? ) and it seems absurd that the players about to take the field  would drink alcohol in the bar at the stadium.

With the majority of players living many miles east of Llanelli,and drive to the stadium,the suggestion of players drinking becomes even more ludicrous.

We could just leave it at me wishing your players,and supporters,all the best for the remainder of this campaign and good luck in the play-offs,as I feel you will be in the Top 5 come the end of the season.

The players weren't in the clubhouse when I entered but it was being discussed while I was there ... as Pudsey Hawk says they were there at 1.30 which would tie in with getting to the ground, pre-match warmups etc.

However even if I had seen them I wouldn't have recognised any of them individually, except probably Parry and maybe Cowburn. So it may be that the ones drinking alcohol were not playing. If that is proved to be the case I am more than happy to retract the comment and offer an apology. 

Thanks for the best wishes...

Archived