French Players who would make the England set up

I would have Gigot at FB in the absence of Hardaker. Don't think there would be any others though tbh, most of the French dragons players are decent but not quite top level, although Casty seems to be back to his best and wouldnt be far off.

Just now, Scubby said:

Bousquet would get in for sure. Gigot would be very handy in the outside backs.

Bosquet is good, but realistically who would he replace?

Is he really better than the Burgess', Graham, Hill, Walmsley, Taylor, Thompson or Watts?

Just now, MZH said:

Bosquet is good, but realistically who would he replace?

Is he really better than the Burgess', Graham, Hill, Walmsley, Taylor, Thompson or Watts?

Taylor, Thompson and Watts yes for sure. Thompson has had a decent few months but Bousquet was unplayable today. If he was running around for Wigan or Warrington people would be shouting from the rooftops about him.  

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Taylor, Thompson and Watts yes for sure. Thompson has had a decent few months but Bousquet was unplayable today. If he was running around for Wigan or Warrington people would be shouting from the rooftops about him.  

I guess Thompson has to prove that he isn't a one season wonder, but he isnt in close to Taylor imo and Watts is also better despite being a bit of an idiot.

1 minute ago, MZH said:

I guess Thompson has to prove that he isn't a one season wonder, but he isnt in close to Taylor imo and Watts is also better despite being a bit of an idiot.

It's all a game of opinions I suppose. I love Bousquet's off-loading game and he has 39 this season which is 14 more than Watts and Taylor combined. He also has a further metres per carry ratio than both. I'm not saying they are not great props but Bousquet (if he was English) would be right in the mix IMO. 

Just looking at the stats to compare Bosquet with Taylor. They are remarkabley similar this season.

Bosquet's average gain is 8.28 compared to Taylor's 8.20. They both take an almost identical number of carries. Errors, penalties and missed tackles are all ever so slightly in Taylor's favour, but its marginal. The only obvious difference between the two is that Taylor does alot more work in defence and Bosquet offloads alot more.

James Tedesco was NSW full back but looked bang average playing with ordinary players around him in the WC for Italy. Bousquet playing at Brisbane or Wigan or Saints would look top class IMO. I bet if you ask teams Bousquet plays against, he is part of the tip sheet every game.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

James Tedesco was NSW full back but looked bang average playing with ordinary players around him in the WC for Italy. Bousquet playing at Brisbane or Wigan or Saints would look top class IMO. I bet if you ask teams Bousquet plays against, he is part of the tip sheet every game.

I agree to an extent, but its a lot harder for a creative player to look good in a poor team than it is for a prop. Tedesco needs a platform laying for him and guys on his wavelength for him to perform. Bosquet's job is just to run hard and physically dominate the guy in front of him.

Case in point today. Barba, Percival, Lomax, Richardson all looked cack because they had nothing to work with. Thompson on the other hand came out of the game with a lot of credit, simply because he played with commitment and wasn't willing to go down without a fight.

Don't get me wrong I do rate Bosquet. If Hull announced they were signing him I would be really happy about it. I just don't think he is quite in that elite band of front rowers. That said, at 27 he is just approaching what should be his peak years as a prop. It will be interesting to see how he goes over the next season or two.

24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

England will wipe the floor with them. We’ve had strong Catalans teams in the past and England have still slammed France. 

I hope the tides are changing but I can’t see it. 

I think France will give a good account of themselves as long as key men are fit and keep it within 30 pts.

If there's injuries big problems... As not much depth. 

Bousquet, Gigot and Casty.

Bousquet is more than what the stats says. He wins most battles. Simple as that. Why can he offload that much? They can't bring him down, that's why. They're trying hard to bring the big guy down but Bousquet doesn't care, his arm is free, here comes the offload. He lays a platform for everyone.

Gigot well I wasn't a fan of his antics and he appeared weak under the high ball, not a link player etc... This year he exploded. He's a big game player. He's become an absolute weapon.

Casty back to his former self. England are packed with props but Casty offers something else. He's mobile and hard to put down. Would he make that England squad? I don't know but among the Burgess, Walmsley, Taylor and co, he's an unorthodox option. An option I'd take.

Archived