Content to be also rans

Kevin Nicholas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lone Drinker said:

Fev added Ridyard and Holmes, and went backwards.

Leigh added a new squad of highly paid, highly experienced players and went backwards.

?

As Kev has clearly demonstrated above, we consistently over achieve. We are a financial sound club, who own our own ground, that consistently finishes higher than those of similar means. Plus, in the last 10 years there have been 3 outstanding seasons. And ....I think we have the best chairman in rugby league, bar none. :) 

Both Fev and Batley finished one place lower than last season with Fev actually winning more games than they did last year. Batley won less games than they did last season coming out on top in about 1/3rd of their games compared to around 1/2 in 2017 and around 2/3rds in 2016. Like I've said, if you're happy with that then it's not a problem. 

23 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Both Fev and Batley finished one place lower than last season with Fev actually winning more games than they did last year. Batley won less games than they did last season coming out on top in about 1/3rd of their games compared to around 1/2 in 2017 and around 2/3rds in 2016. Like I've said, if you're happy with that then it's not a problem. 

You're conflating two issues.

So, to be clear on this season, I'm not happy with the number of losses (losing to a poor Dewsbury team twice and Sheffield at home being the lowlights) or the number of points conceded in some of our defeats (Halifax and Fev away spring to mind). I would make an educated guess that the Chairman, coach and most fans think similar.

I don't think the answer is to throw the family silver at one or two players for a couple of years. 

A word I keep putting out there is AMBITION, leave it there...…...

Are current and re-signed players happy with the current position? Is it an attractive proposition to anyone we approach?

20 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Is it an opportunity missed though?

Where did you expect us to finish in the league table this season? 

My prediction was 7th pre season, look where we finished the regular season, admittedly I thought we would be closer to 6th in terms of points. As previously stated, Leeds have had a similar injury crisis to us and look how well they have coped with it... 

Sacking the coach seems to have worked well for them...

Just out of interest, how long do you think Sinfield has got before he follows McDermott out of the door?

Is the answer to keep sacking coaches until the team starts winning?

Keep sacking?

This is the Batley forum. You might be lost.

And some clubs have done well out of changing coach when their performance is not deemed adequate ( like in the rest of the working world). Your point is?

25 minutes ago, Dogstew said:

Keep sacking?

And some clubs have done well out of changing coach when their performance is not deemed adequate ( like in the rest of the working world). Your point is?

looks like theres alot more than me that isnt confident in matt diskin as coach, just saying like??

2 hours ago, Dogstew said:

Keep sacking?

You seem to think that sacking the coach is the only answer.

My point is, what if the club did as you said and they sack him and the next coach ran in to the same luck with injuries as Diskin has this season, then has a similar outcome, should they sack him too? Hence do we just keep sacking coaches until we find one that starts winning?

I'm not convinced BTW that he is the answer either. Then again, like many of this forum's regular posters, I wasn't convinced by Kear after narrowly avoiding relegation 2 seasons running that he was the answer either and wouldn't have lost any sleep if he had been sacked in 2015, then the following season we finished 3rd.

If it is all the same with you, I'd back the experts who have a track record of making silk purses out of sows ears (The current board). Certainly more than I'd back a lot of keyboard hatchetmen who know absolutely nothing about the situation other than rumour and speculation.

28 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

You seem to think that sacking the coach is the only answer.

My point is, what if the club did as you said and they sack him and the next coach ran in to the same luck with injuries as Diskin has this season, then has a similar outcome, should they sack him too? Hence do we just keep sacking coaches until we find one that one starts winning?

I'm not convinced BTW that he is the answer either. Then again, like many of this forum's regular posters, I wasn't convinced by Kear after narrowly avoiding relegation 2 seasons running that he was the answer either and wouldn't have lost any sleep if he had been sacked in 2015, then the following season we finished 3rd.

If it is all the same with you, I'd back the experts who have a track record of making silk purses out of sows ears (The current board). Certainly more than I'd back a lot of keyboard hatchetmen who know absolutely nothing about the situation other than rumour and speculation.

Ah the same old chestnuts. A Kear comparison And time for the trump card too!

You may not have realised this, but it’s a forum where comment is free. Some rumour and speculation, some opinion (and some might be different to yours!), and some occasional real information.

You may have seen a post somewhere that said we should keep sacking coaches until we find a good one - but it wasn’t on here.

But go on then, you’ve just convinced me - Diskin has done a brilliant job with the (quality) squad at his disposal over last season and this. Silly of me to think otherwise. Anybody else agree with me and Dogbreath?

11 hours ago, Dogstew said:

Ah the same old chestnuts. A Kear comparison And time for the trump card too!

You may not have realised this, but it’s a forum where comment is free. Some rumour and speculation, some opinion (and some might be different to yours!), and some occasional real information.

You may have seen a post somewhere that said we should keep sacking coaches until we find a good one - but it wasn’t on here.

But go on then, you’ve just convinced me - Diskin has done a brilliant job with the (quality) squad at his disposal over last season and this. Silly of me to think otherwise. Anybody else agree with me and Dogbreath?

There are many examples of where the club have got it right, look at there track record.

For another recent example, Ulugia reputedly wanted £30k a season to sign with us again. In all honesty, I would have paid him it without hesitation from what I saw on the field. I was really disappointed he was not signed on again. 

Over 2 seasons, Featherstone have allegedly paid him £60k in contract money alone and he hasn't played a game this season and only around 20 last year.

That equates to £3k a match, plus win bonuses, we could have probably signed a current NRL or international star for that money.

Hence me trusting the people that know what they are doing!

25 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

There are many examples of where the club have got it right, look at there track record.

For another recent example, Ulugia reputedly wanted £30k a season to sign with us again. In all honesty, I would have paid him it without hesitation from what I saw on the field. I was really disappointed he was not signed on again. 

Over 2 seasons, Featherstone have allegedly paid him £60k in contract money alone and he hasn't played a game this season and only around 20 last year.

That equates to £3k a match, plus win bonuses, we could have probably signed a current NRL or international star for that money.

is that the same people that k ew we needed cover on the wings ect as we was up the s..t creak without a paddle who instead get a hooker and loose forward and 2nd rowe instead, let me thin??, yeh good coaching????

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

This is even more bizarre - the board have the power to foresee injuries and thus the value of a proposed contract signing?

Beam me up, spotty!

What is your opinion of our esteemed coach, Dogfarter?

1 hour ago, Dogstew said:

This is even more bizarre - the board have the power to foresee injuries and thus the value of a proposed contract signing?

Beam me up, spotty!

Are the insults really justified?

What happened to everyone being allowed an opinion.

20 hours ago, RogerT said:

I'm not a fan of his, but I won't stop going and we all knew he was on for 3 years.

Can you check your private messages please Roger. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

I think the club has a battle on to grow in a difficult climate, and much of this is down to establishing (it may well already have) a distinct definition of what it classes as a  'supporter' and 'fan' and then work on that basis in its promotion of the club.

For my money, a supporter is someone who, irrespective of the playing standard, prevailing conditions within the club, management, staff, weather forecast etc is at pretty much every game, and many other club events. A 'fan' is one who has an intrinsic affiliation with the club but is, for a number of reasons, not compelled to attend as regularly, if at all, in some cases.

Using the assumed definitions, for a number of reasons, I am merely a 'fan'. Geography, family, finance, volunteer commitments, work etc mean that I can't be one of those fully-immersed Bulldog supporters. I've not been up to the Mount all season - I had a view of what might happen this year on the field and I am afraid that has been largely borne out (albeit the injury crisis has been particularly bad) My 'support' has been very much from an armchair perspective. I'm not a fan of the coach (and what do I know anyway!), but that's only one small part of the jigsaw and on its own is not a reason for staying away. 

If I'm honest,  I just don't see the value in the product currently. I'm not skint by any means and if I wanted to, I could attend every match with the family in tow. I love the grub, I love the bar, I love the Batley folk, I am well known in other RL circles as a Bulldogs fan, but there's something missing. 

I think much is geared to the 'supporter' and rightly so. They are the heartbeat of the club. I see so many Bulldogs 'fans' around who no longer attend games. What can we do for them (and I?) to persuade them back? Could I be persuaded to become a 'supporter' again? Possibly. How? Us 'fans' need to feel valued somehow. I think lots of people are disillusioned by the sport and its administrators more than anything, but some clubs are beating that issue with their own clever approaches.

I don't envy the club in finding ways to make this work and whilst I have a few ideas, my offer of help has come to nothing in the past. This worm is for turning. 

10 hours ago, Dogstew said:

Beam me up, spotty!

I really do not want to get in to a battle of wits with an unarmed man, however I will answer you before resigning you to the ignore button for eternity:-

I think the board probably looked at Ulugia's injury record, for the 2 seasons he was with us and the season he had with Bradford and deduced he was a bad risk. They would have more than likely seen the medical reports etc. Nothing to do with seeing in to the future! :banghead:

As stated earlier, I am not convinced by Diskin either and my opinion of him is mixed. I don't think anyone could argue that we play some very attractive rugby under him. The problem is, the players seem incapable of consistently playing that style of football without making lots of handling errors. Maybe we need to start to go back to a Kear/Harrison style of football (5 drives and a kick). No doubt, then you would be on here spouting your theories and moaning that we do not play any football. Diskin is not knocking on first tackle, he is not the one missing one-on-one tackles or the one throwing suicidal passes out. 

Our record when he has been able to pick from a full strength squad is actually pretty good this season. We ran Toronto close and beat Toulouse at home. Since then we have had a really bad run of injuries, including losing both halfbacks and playmakers. I'm sure the Fev fans will probably tell you the same, they looked to be shoe in's for the top 4 until they lost Ridyard and Holmes to injury, once they were injured, the wheels fell off and they failed to make the cut.

I'm no expert and I'm sure neither are you from reading your posts. I do not know enough to really make an informed decision. Instead, I will leave that to the people that have guided a small club with limited support to a grand final, a NR cup win and a 3rd place finish in the last few years. I don't think I could have achieved what they have, so it is better to trust people that know what they are doing in my humble opinion. It is a bit like going to see a Surgeon and telling him how to do the operation, because you think you know better.

To put it in to context, I'm pretty sure most of the Dewsbury fans who support a similar club to ours in terms of budget and fanbase etc. would be very happy if they had achieved anything like what we had over the last few years.

5 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I really do not want to get in to a battle of wits with an unarmed man, however I will answer you before resigning you to the ignore button for eternity:-

I think the board probably looked at Ulugia's injury record, for the 2 seasons he was with us and the season he had with Bradford and deduced he was a bad risk. They would have more than likely seen the medical reports etc. Nothing to do with seeing in to the future! :banghead:

As stated earlier, I am not convinced by Diskin either and my opinion of him is mixed. I don't think anyone could argue that we play some very attractive rugby under him. The problem is, the players seem incapable of consistently playing that style of football without making lots of handling errors. Maybe we need to start to go back to a Kear/Harrison style of football (5 drives and a kick). No doubt, then you would be on here spouting your theories and moaning that we do not play any football. Diskin is not knocking on first tackle, he is not the one missing one-on-one tackles or the one throwing suicidal passes out. 

Our record when he has been able to pick from a full strength squad is actually pretty good this season. We ran Toronto close and beat Toulouse at home. Since then we have had a really bad run of injuries, including losing both halfbacks and playmakers. I'm sure the Fev fans will probably tell you the same, they looked to be shoe in's for the top 4 until they lost Ridyard and Holmes to injury, once they were injured, the wheels fell off and they failed to make the cut.

I'm no expert and I'm sure neither are you from reading your posts. I do not know enough to really make an informed decision. Instead, I will leave that to the people that have guided a small club with limited support to a grand final, a NR cup win and a 3rd place finish in the last few years. I don't think I could have achieved what they have, so it is better to trust people that know what they are doing in my humble opinion. It is a bit like going to see a Surgeon and telling him how to do the operation, because you think you know better.

To put it in to context, I'm pretty sure most of the Dewsbury fans who support a similar club to ours in terms of budget and fanbase etc. would be very happy if they had achieved anything like what we had over the last few years.

There’s a lot of words here, Dogfarter, but I struggled through to the end on my limited wits.

My less verbose opinion is that Batley could do a lot worse than give the idea of a new coach some consideration (revolutionary stuff!) as this season and last look to have been a missed opportunity with the increased resources available (and a seemingly good squad of players). After all, there was a wide and deep field of candidates last time it was advertised.

Comment is free whether you like it or not.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:49 PM, Lone Drinker said:

You're conflating two issues.

So, to be clear on this season, I'm not happy with the number of losses (losing to a poor Dewsbury team twice and Sheffield at home being the lowlights) or the number of points conceded in some of our defeats (Halifax and Fev away spring to mind). I would make an educated guess that the Chairman, coach and most fans think similar.

I don't think the answer is to throw the family silver at one or two players for a couple of years. 

I can only assume then that you're happy with the current funding structure then, that allows clubs who receive more central funding to actually spend it if they choose to?

On 8/6/2018 at 8:50 PM, Kevin Nicholas said:

it will be harder next year because Bulls & York look favourites to get promoted and are financially stronger than us and other Clubs assuming we can avoid relegation.

What an absolute joke rugby league has become when this is true! Look at recent financial difficulties, I will plump for that term, with both Bradford and York yet they are richer than us. Not a pop at Kevin just the farce of bailed out clubs.

13 hours ago, doggystyle said:

What an absolute joke rugby league has become when this is true! Look at recent financial difficulties, I will plump for that term, with both Bradford and York yet they are richer than us. Not a pop at Kevin just the farce of bailed out clubs.

Exactly how were these clubs bailed out and by whom?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived