Plan 'B'

And this is exactly why the entire RFL's sales and marketing is a complete joke. If you put off and discourage people buying early then you leave yourself in exactly this position when you get an unattractive and poor selling final. The RFL's strategy should be all about encouraging early sales and promoting the event long before the finalists are even known. Finalist ticket sales should be the icing on the cake. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

And this is exactly why the entire RFL's sales and marketing is a complete joke. If you put off and discourage people buying early then you leave yourself in exactly this position when you get an unattractive and poor selling final. The RFL's strategy should be all about encouraging early sales and promoting the event long before the finalists are even known. Finalist ticket sales should be the icing on the cake

What would you suggest they did in this situation? Checking back I've had at least seven emails about cup final tickets since the last final (the first one was last October). They have come through regularly enough, early enough; and whilst email isn't close to being the whole marketing strategy they have clearly been pushing this.

I see lots of comments saying the RFL should just wave some magic marketing wand but very little specific. If this was easy I'm sure one of the many marketing professionals who have been through the RFL over the past 20 or 30 years would have stumbled across an answer by now. The answer is that it's hard, very hard.

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

What would you suggest they did in this situation? Checking back I've had at least seven emails about cup final tickets since the last final (the first one was last October). They have come through regularly enough, early enough; and whilst email isn't close to being the whole marketing strategy they have clearly been pushing this.

I see lots of comments saying the RFL should just wave some magic marketing wand but very little specific. If this was easy I'm sure one of the many marketing professionals who have been through the RFL over the past 20 or 30 years would have stumbled across an answer by now. The answer is that it's hard, very hard.

The RFL's actions over the last decade or so have led to this situation. Doing anything now is too little too late.

People on these threads have warned of this time and again. I have read countless posters say that they never buy tickets early as they have been bitten by doing so and will never do again. Similar complaints already from people on this thread, maybe that may be even more people that refuse to buy early for next year. The result of that is people aren't committed to going, there are low pre finalist outcome sales and we are at the whim of hoping of 2 well supported sides being in the final. If someone then doesn't fancy the final when the teams are known or then makes other plans then they don't go.

Anyone can send out countless emails all year round offering cheap deals and promo codes, you certainly aren't a marketing genius doing that. Placing your whole marketing around emails and discount codes isn't marketing either. Neither is cheapening the event to Bargain Booze status. Its poor, very poor. 

As for marketing professionals, really? Have you seen the calibre of people that work at the RFL and the skills and qualifications of the people involved? For the pay that the RFL offer, bar the top role that seems ring fenced for the next pal inline anyway, they certainly aren't professionals. 

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But they have havent they. We have at times being successful filling the stadium.

You are right, its not just the marketing. Its also the match-day experience, its the image of the competition, its actually getting out and selling the tickets which are all failing.

Last 90,000 (stadium capacity) crowd please? I'll give you a clue, 1988..94273.  Last 3 seasons..2015 - 80,140...2016 - 76235....2017 - 68,525. Do you see a pattern forming here? This year could be an embarrassment for the 'image' of our game. I support expansion but it does have its drawbacks.

Balls to the above - the CC final attendance shouldn’t be based on the finalists.

I've no marketing background but it’d take me about an hour to come up with a “Everyone’s a Dragon,let’s make history strategic plan,” this would galvanise the Wire support and create a seige mentality.

It’s an event, create the theme, people love events, I mean people go to union matches for God’s sake.

52 minutes ago, TMF said:

Last 90,000 (stadium capacity) crowd please? I'll give you a clue, 1988..94273.  Last 3 seasons..2015 - 80,140...2016 - 76235....2017 - 68,525. Do you see a pattern forming here? This year could be an embarrassment for the 'image' of our game. I support expansion but it does have its drawbacks.

For years including 2015 and 2016 the RFL included all club Wembley seats (16,532) despite being only 1/4 full at times. When the RFL started being able to sell club Wembley for the first time in 2017 then a more accurate figure was given. 

21 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

For years including 2015 and 2016 the RFL included all club Wembley seats (16,532) despite being only 1/4 full at times. When the RFL started being able to sell club Wembley for the first time in 2017 then a more accurate figure was given. 

Thanks Pete, didn't know that. Good fact. Just makes me a bit more worried really. In the words of the song 'Should I go or should I stay'. I really don't know. Maybe share the new Spurs stadium with NFL? It looks fabulous.

Just had a look through the ticket availability, and seems as if the main lower tier will all-but full.

For future reference, however, a London primary school lottery allowing, say, 20 schools to fill 20 of the upper tier sections would work. These kids might then become attracted to the game at a time when sporting allegiances are made and carried through life. It's a long term win, even if the short sighted RFL bean counters would wince.

3 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

Very unfair on those who stumped up £50 per ticket when today £50 will get you 3 tickets with £5 to spare. 

Screenshot_20180809-194258.jpg

Mint, I just bought two £50 tickets earlier this week. Ah well least I’ll hopefully get to see Catalans Win the Cup.

9 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Just had a look through the ticket availability, and seems as if the main lower tier will all-but full.

For future reference, however, a London primary school lottery allowing, say, 20 schools to fill 20 of the upper tier sections would work. These kids might then become attracted to the game at a time when sporting allegiances are made and carried through life. It's a long term win, even if the short sighted RFL bean counters would wince.

When I was at school in the seventies this is what union where up to, I was at school in Wigan and the school was given enough tickets to fill a coach to Twickenham. It helped that our union coach was the England prop Bill Woodcock. nearly 50 years ago union had this sussed..

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Yorkie44 said:

Mint, I just bought two £50 tickets earlier this week. Ah well least I’ll hopefully get to see Catalans Win the Cup.

Just ask for a refund, then buy the tickets again and spend the £70 at your local community club. 

3 hours ago, Padge said:

When I was at school in the seventies this is what union where up to, I was at school in Wigan and the school was given enough tickets to fill a coach to Twickenham. It helped that our union coach was the England prop Bill Woodcock. nearly 50 years ago union had this sussed..

Hull schools use to fill a train , go to hyde park , game , tea , show , all travelling around London on the underground , train home , into Hull about 11.30pm . How everyone got home i will never know 

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

Just ask for a refund, then buy the tickets again and spend the £70 at your local community club. 

Can’t be ars*d though.

It’s not a lot of money relatively speaking, you should be paying that much for sporting final tickets. It’s been covered a million times before but RL fans now expect cheap tickets for top games and I believe that is something we need to get away from. 

Archived