Whitehaven

Dave Naylor

A must-win game for both clubs on Sunday.  

Big-match preview of Sunday's Oldham v Whitehaven clash

WITH five clubs chasing three Betfred League 1 play-off spots — and four of them on 26 points — Oldham can’t afford to slip up in Sunday’s vital clash with Whitehaven at the Vestacare Stadium (3pm kick-off).

Read full article

Really looking forward to this game. It should be a cracker, with so much at stake for both clubs. It will also be a chance for our OWN squad of players to prove that they are capable of 'achieving' what they were signed up for at the beginning of the season. The next few weeks will be tough, but when the going gets tough 'the tough get going'. A good crowd too, getting behind the lads when the pressure is on, will hopefully give us the win and set the ball rolling for the end of season 'push'.                                                        

COME ON OLDHAM!! 

Massive game. The importance of this one for both clubs can't be underestimated. 

Haven will come all guns blazing and looking for revenge for the opening day defeat. We need to ride the storm and settle into our usual patterns as quickly as possible. Defence was a little suspect last week but overall it has been excellent over the course of the season, we need that tenacity and courage at full throttle this week.

Good to see we have no injury problems and the return of Nealo should help settle the ship,hopefully Chewy and Crooky will continue in the same vein as they did at Hemel, the forwards have been immense all season,hope Danny Rasool gets another shot after a belting performance down south in the second row.

Looking forward to the game and seeing our good friends from Cumbria, glad we are at home tbh,if we play to our potential I believe we will have enough firepower to win but it certainly won't be easy against a tough Haven outfit. Lose and our season will be hanging by a thread and the playoffs will be a huge ask.

Is it Sunday yet?? Up the Yeds!

Just to reiterate what the guys are saying here. Both clubs reckon this is 'must win' but only one team can win, can't they? Unless it's a draw, in which case neither team will!! :)

So Roughyeds fans, let's turn up in numbers in this one and become the boys' 18th man. Bring a mate, a relative, whoever and to follow up Anne's plea, ladies what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching a game of Rugby League! Especially when it's our own town team Oldham!

Oh and by the way I will be selling the CLUB book 'Roughyeds - Against All the Odds' (not mine ) inside the Vestacare on Sunday and will be delighted to sign copies for anyone buying one. Thanks in advance :)

Looking forward to the game on Sunday as it's a big un. I hope we can get a decent turnout this weekend because the boys will probably need it. Haven will come at us all guns blazing and we'll have to be ready for it. We desperately need this win,we all deserve it. So if there's anyone out there who thinking about coming to the game,then stop thinking and come to the game and cheer our boys to victory.

30 minutes ago, saints10coach said:

Hope the rain goes away before kick off time, looking forward to an exciting game.

Should be a tense encounter for both sides with a fair bit at stake.Hope as you say the weather picks up a bit and hopefully we can get a decent turnout as attendances have been flat to say the least. Hoping for a roughyeds win.

I was going to come on and have a rant about how the ref was so poor. But then I realised something had happened that has not, that I am aware of happening before in my lifetime. We nilled Whitehaven home and away. Well done to all the players and coaching staff, that is an almighty achievement.

3 minutes ago, saints10coach said:

I was going to come on and have a rant about how the ref was so poor. But then I realised something had happened that has not, that I am aware of happening before in my lifetime. We nilled Whitehaven home and away. Well done to all the players and coaching staff, that is an almighty achievement.

Not a bad achievement really. To play a Cumbrian side and beat them both times is a good feat. I bet if you asked most fans at most clubs they'd probably moan about the officiating of games, they're so inconsistent. But yes the ref was pants.

Solid and comfortable win i thought. Whitehaven were surprisingly really poor and deserved the nil.

For ourselves Johnson was outstanding at full back. Looks like he has got his confidence back and he had a stormer. McComb was quality again at centre and both wingers played very well. Neal was great off the bench again and is showing how much we've missed him this year.

Thought quite a lot of the pack were surprisingly quiet. Langers got his usual try but still looks like he is struggling with his ribs. The rest of the pack got the job done without doing anything to really standout.

Great result. Did what we had to do and a nilling is always a bonus. On to the next "cup final" at Newcastle next week. Happy with the performance, less said about the ref the better! Always good to see our friends from Haven, great set of fans.

30 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Great result. Did what we had to do and a nilling is always a bonus. On to the next "cup final" at Newcastle next week. Happy with the performance, less said about the ref the better! Always good to see our friends from Haven, great set of fans.

Yeah,good performance by us but the ref,well less said about him the better. With it being a big game for us I was expecting more people to be there,a bit disappointing. 

29 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Agreed ,massively disappointing crowd of only 413. 

I thought there was more than that TBH.

I also thought they would have brought a few more for a big game like that, reckon there was only a couple of dozen at best, although as they didnt score it wasnt easy to tell.

I thought the team were excellent today in particular the defence against a big pack.

Tis a shame the public dont seem interested,i still firmly believe SKY and the football have not helped RL.

I said when SKY came about in the 1990s it would be a bad thing for RL and i stand by it, OK we all like to watch Super league on a thur/fri night but now football dominated the weekends and i think that is to the detriment of the RLlgame.

only my opinion so i guess some will disagree.

That is a poor crowd for one of the traditional teams in the league. 

I don't know what the answer is, when you look at the town's demographic you will see that the town has become more diverse of the last 10 years and more people who supported the club have left the town, died, or simply became Disheartened by the game, rule changes and the only thing that matters is super league. 

Roughyeds back to their best in dominant win

OLDHAM didn’t only beat and ‘nil’ Whitehaven at the Vestacare Stadium . . . they produced a tough and hugely professional performance that massively raised hopes and expectations of play-off qualification.

Read full article

'Best performance for two months' -- Scott

SCOTT Naylor was suitably impressed by Oldham’s 20-0 win against Whitehaven, describing the performance as “one of our best in the last two months.”

Read full article

Archived