Tattoos in rugby

I have had an idea for a while about producing a book or calendar about rugby players of both codes and their inspiration behind their tattoos, so this is just a quick straw pole to see if you people out there think this is a viable idea?

it could be attached to the state of mind charity etc etc , any input much appreciated such as players current or former to contact

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not something that I would be interested in tbh but I'm sure there is a market for it. Not sure if there would be enough interesting stories out there to justify a book. But a calendar could do well amongst women, especially if its for a good cause.

Definitely interested. 

Have some large tattoos myself and naturally find them interesting, there doesn't have to be meaning attached either. I would also cover the artists as well, I'm sure there are some studios that cater to rugby players moreso than others. A quality book would be great but have no interest in a calendar.

48 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I have had an idea for a while about producing a book or calendar about rugby players of both codes and their inspiration behind their tattoos, so this is just a quick straw pole to see if you people out there think this is a viable idea?

it could be attached to the state of mind charity etc etc , any input much appreciated such as players current or former to contact

I suspect you would be disappointed by their inspiration.

Many ideas would be as shallow as a puddle IMO.

I suggest there is a copycat herd/sheep mentality in many that sport Tattoos nowadays, bit like Beards, but you can shave them off.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's one of the great mysteries to me that anyone should want to permanently mark their skin in such away, it looks bad enough on men, on women aaarghhhh

It shouldn't be a mystery, millions of people think they look great. People like art. 

6 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

It shouldn't be a mystery, millions of people think they look great. People like art. 

Do they really think they look great, or just think that other people (in particular , women) think they look great. 

Mate had LOVE and HAT tattoo.  L.O.V.E on each left hand finger and H.A.T. on each right hand finger....

Advice, also. Don't have your the name  of wife, mistress , lover or GF tattooed.  And if you are a player, don't have the club name tattooed. 

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Mate had LOVE and HAT tattoo.  L.O.V.E on each left hand finger and H.A.T. on each right hand finger....

Advice, also. Don't have your the name  of wife, mistress , lover or GF tattooed.  And if you are a player, don't have the club name tattooed. 

Was it Eric Sykes?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Do they really think they look great, or just think that other people (in particular , women) think they look great. 

Why don't you look up some studies?

In some age demographics 23% of women are tattooed vs men at 19% (2012 Harris Poll). American Academy of Dermatology found that 24% of people aged 18-50 in the US are tattooed. What's interesting is that of those people who aren't tattooed, 2 in 5 think those who have them are less attractive, which is fair enough if they're not your thing but the stigma needs to go as they're more inclined to also think they're less healthy, less intelligent and less trustworthy albeit a much lower percentage. Considering 30% of US college (Uni) graduates have tattoos (70% with more than one) thats quite easily disproven.

Yes, many millions of people worldwide obviously think they look great. You don't have to nor am I trying to convince you they are but you can at least try to understand that instead of your current trajectory with it's undertones of sexism and prejudice. Just think that one out of every four people you interact with has one, many won't have them in a place not covered by clothing... why is this? 

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

?

This is good advice.

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Peter Kay wants his joke back.

2 hours ago, iangidds said:

I cannot think of anything more crass than tattoos.  Nothing more to add.

2 hours ago, iangidds said:

Tommy Hodgkinson's Bulls tattoo would be a good place to start.  :laugh:

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I did some pretty stupid things when I was young but I am so glad that  the list didn't include mutilating my one and only skin with kitsch just to try and look tough, which in Australia back in the seventies is why people got them, 

Back then most people got them in gaol they didn't become trendy until about twenty years ago.Now there are tattoo shops everywhere even in middle class areas.

Tattoo's are a personal thing and each to their own.

My opinions are old fashioned, I do not like tattoos on Women (if they are small and discreet who cares other than their partner)

On Men...are they there for the owner of them  to appreciate or are they making some sort of statement to others to look at?

I have never got it or understood it, short of some Military connection.

I see many people with Tattoos as a shout out  for attention, good luck to them.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Art, fashion, culture 

All come together in tattoos. Yeah it's far more fashionable now but they've always been a thing and more or less common at different times.

Me, I love them. Other people don't- but I'm not asking them to get any done.

As for the "what will it look like when you're older" the answer is fantastic. That's what it'll look like. And otherwise none of your business. 

I'd say there was a lot of mileage in your book and in both circles of sport and tattoos. 

Archived